RomanArmyTalk
Osprey new book on Teutoberger Wood disaster....in 2010 - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: References & Reviews (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Osprey new book on Teutoberger Wood disaster....in 2010 (/showthread.php?tid=13681)

Osprey new book on Teutoberger Wood disaster....in 2010 - Caballo - 09-27-2008

Hi,

In response to my post on the Osprey forum....

With the 2,000 annniversary in 2009 of Varus leading three Roman legions in the German forest- and with the newspaper articles, reenactor events at Kalkriese, and general coverage- how about an Osprey covering the Teutoberger Wood disaster? Could be a big seller..... Cheers Paul

Came this...sounds good!

Hi Paul, I am happy to be able to tell you that we planning to publish a book on Teutoberg Forest in our campaign series, due for release in late 2010. It is set to be fantastic book, with a number of photos and brilliant Osprey artwork.

Re: Osprey new book on Teutoberger Wood disaster....in 2010 - Jona Lendering - 09-27-2008

I like the idea that it appears one year too late. It is almost as if the author and his publisher want to stress that the massacre did not change the course of world history; and indeed, a case may be made that the Claudian army reforms were more important.

Re: Osprey new book on Teutoberger Wood disaster....in 2010 - Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-27-2008

In what way?

Re: Osprey new book on Teutoberger Wood disaster....in 2010 - Jona Lendering - 09-27-2008

Quote:In what way?
Creation of the limes. Oldest dates of a watchtower (which I think is really indicative for the change of offensive to defensive strategy) are now 41 dendro (Utrecht-De Meern).

For the wider context (that Claudius reformed the army), see Chri Thomas, "Claudius and the Roman Army Reforms" in: Historia. Zeitschrift für alte Geschichte 53 (2004) 424-452.

Re: Osprey new book on Teutoberger Wood disaster....in 2010 - Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-27-2008

Ahh, thanks. Of course, that sounds logical.
Of course, not my favourite moment in Roman history, but can't argue with the logic!

And thanks for that reference, I will look it up.

Pity Osprey are not going to have it out sooner, it will make a good addition to info on the event..

Re: Osprey new book on Teutoberger Wood disaster....in 2010 - Praefectusclassis - 09-27-2008

Quote:It is almost as if the author and his publisher want to stress that the massacre did not change the course of world history; and indeed, a case may be made that the Claudian army reforms were more important.
Somehow, I doubt that. Also curious to see who'll write it. If it's their main writer for ancient stuff recently...

Re: Osprey new book on Teutoberger Wood disaster....in 2010 - Ross Cowan - 09-27-2008

Quote: Also curious to see who'll write it. If it's their main writer for ancient stuff recently...

You mean that you're not looking forward to the latest Nic Fields? ;-) )

R

Quote:
Quote:It is almost as if the author and his publisher want to stress that the massacre did not change the course of world history; and indeed, a case may be made that the Claudian army reforms were more important.
Somehow, I doubt that. Also curious to see who'll write it. If it's their main writer for ancient stuff recently...
Yep, that's why I wrote "as if", because being one year too late sounds like a marketing mistake.

Re: - Gaius Julius Caesar - 02-10-2009

Quote:
Jasper Oorthuys:3vk6xp7k Wrote:
Yep, that's why I wrote "as if", because being one year too late sounds like a marketing mistake.

:lol: Yet, you like the idea.....? :?

Re: Osprey new book on Teutoberger Wood disaster....in 2010 - Simplex - 02-12-2009

....they are (still ?) waitin' for the REAL battleground to be revealed by then ? :roll: :wink:

Simplex

Just kiddin' - don't wanna spoil the party.

Re: Osprey new book on Teutoberger Wood disaster....in 2010 - Praefectusclassis - 02-12-2009

Just make sure you get the AW Teutoburger Special issue. It's going to be quite awesome I think...

Re: Osprey new book on Teutoberger Wood disaster....in 2010 - Gaius Julius Caesar - 02-12-2009

Why? Did something happen there? Special, that is? :| ?: :?: