RomanArmyTalk
Show your subarmalis! - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show your subarmalis! (/showthread.php?tid=13688)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Show your subarmalis! - Flavivs Aetivs - 02-17-2015

Great job Mark! That's the sort of thing I've been thinking about making/having made, and then buying a leather/goatskin one to wear over it.

Show your subarmalis! - ParthianBow - 02-17-2015

Ryan, I've sent you a PM.

Show your subarmalis! - Marcus Mummius - 04-16-2015

Quote:**REVIVED THREAD!!** Tongue

Here's my effort, which I just finished last night. I'm working off Sander's design with a few modifications: It's 3 layers of wool sandwiched between 2 layers of linen on either side for the base layer. The shoulder doublers include another insert square of 3 wool and 2/2 linen, and that square is layered on a 'stair' or an additional 8 layers of wool, with another 2/2 layers of linen to remove the shoulder 'slope' as much as possible. (That's a total of 14 layers of wool and 12 layers of linen at it's thickest point - the quilting packs it down though, so it's not as bulky as you'd think). I'll post construction pics if you're really curious...

I opted for separate sewn-on lace-holes rather than the original design that was punched through the side. I figure if there's a catastrophic failure on the lacing system I'd rather just sew on a new lace hole rather than have to attempt to fix the entire piece. It's also quilted at 10cm. spacing rather than 5cm like in Sander's design because I think 10cm is adequate and his appears to be machine-stitched, whereas mine is 100% hand-stitched with linen thread (I built it to last). I forgot how much of a pain in the glutius it is to hand-quilt...The bonus is that I can always sew on pturges later if I want to be 'promoted' later on. 8+)

Hi Ryan,

Sander's a member of my group and I can tell you that the 5cm spaced quiting of his subarmalis was entirely handstiched, with linen thread. He's even crazier than you ;-)

Show your subarmalis! - walthari - 05-14-2015

Hi,
this is my republican early-imperial officer's subarmalis....This is made of laminated linen (4 layers). Gorgon of leather and 4 bands of pteruges of linen.

Show your subarmalis! - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-29-2015

Not the best photos, but a glimpse of a selection of subarmalis I have made or bought off the peg. The one on the left is what I made originally for under a Seg.
Not so great for under mail though....
[attachment=12604]image_2015-07-29.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=12605]image_2015-07-29-2.jpg[/attachment]

Show your subarmalis! - Crispvs - 07-30-2015

Very nice indeed. I must get back to finishing my own replacement one soon.

Crispvs

Show your subarmalis! - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-30-2015

You should post one of your white one under the scale. Looks excellent in my opinion.

Show your subarmalis! - Titvs Statilivs Castvs - 08-27-2015

Quote:I opted for separate sewn-on lace-holes rather than the original design that was punched through the side. I figure if there's a catastrophic failure on the lacing system I'd rather just sew on a new lace hole rather than have to attempt to fix the entire piece. It's also quilted at 10cm. spacing rather than 5cm like in Sander's design because I think 10cm is adequate and his appears to be machine-stitched, whereas mine is 100% hand-stitched with linen thread (I built it to last).

Bit late to see this but still wanted to say - as Jef already kindly did above - that not a single thread on my subarmalis is machine-stitched. Everything was hand-stitched, but I'll take your comment as a compliment.

Show your subarmalis! - Crispvs - 08-28-2015

"You should post one of your white one under the scale. Looks excellent in my opinion."

Well, if you insist. ;-)

[attachment=12699]Crispvsscale121Aug11.jpg[/attachment]

The replacement will be in bleached linen, vertically quilted to resemble what appears to be shown on the Arlon reliefs, and hand stitched with linen thread. I am toying with the idea of making the outer layer of pteruges at the waist of covered rawhide, as I suspect that that would have been a more effective flexible defence, and might also better approximate the stiff appearance of the pteruges seen on the stelae of Favonius Facilis and Castricius Victor.

Crispvs

Show your subarmalis! - Nathan Ross - 08-28-2015

Some great pictures on here.

Has anyone tried making a subarmalis with the high ribbed collar / 'turtle neck' effect that seems to be shown on some depictions?

RE: Show your subarmalis! - Damianus Albus - 12-30-2015

[Image: 10322632_1090888090941889_41791245148111...e=570D7B14]

RE: Show your subarmalis! - panairjdde - 11-27-2016

My new subarmalis. It is inspired by a famous tombstone of the 3rd century, but I wanted the pteryges too, so I had them added Smile

The picture was taken at the Circus of Maxentius

RE: Show your subarmalis! - Robert Vermaat - 11-27-2016

(11-27-2016, 02:25 PM)panairjdde Wrote: My new subarmalis. It is inspired by a famous tombstone of the 3rd century, but I wanted the pteryges too, so I had them added Smile

Looking good.

RE: Show your subarmalis! - Flavivs Aetivs - 11-27-2016

When I have my subarmalis made it will be based off the 5th Century Argos Museum mosaic, and I'll have Pteryges attached to it as well. (Pteryges everywhere!)

I like yours Salvatore, looks a lot like the tombstone. Good job.

RE: Show your subarmalis! - brennivs - tony drake - 11-27-2016

Salvatore very nice indeed Smile and I do like the colour you have chosen Wink
Regards Brennivs Big Grin