RomanArmyTalk
glueing horsehair to iron - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: glueing horsehair to iron (/showthread.php?tid=14617)

Pages: 1 2

glueing horsehair to iron - jvrjenivs - 02-13-2009

Has anyone ever tried this? I have both bone- and hide glue laying in my workshop but no metal to try it out.

Re: glueing horsehair to iron - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 02-13-2009

For make what? An batavian helmet?

Re: glueing horsehair to iron - jvrjenivs - 02-13-2009

I'm working on some demo pieces and the cavalry helmets from the Kops Plateau (Nijmegen), which I want to have recreate this year.

Some sneak previews:

Here the first set of hairs:
[Image: DSC06120.jpg]

The iron part of the helmet (kindly done by the guys at DSC; the mask on the right is a plastic copy of the original)
[Image: DSC01266.jpg]

Re: glueing horsehair to iron - Gaius Julius Caesar - 02-13-2009

Whoahhh!!! Where did you get those babies??? nice weaving btw
When did you have them made and by who?

Oh, on the glue issue, make sure the metal is totally oild free, and I would imagine the hair too, or you may have sticking issues!

Re: glueing horsehair to iron - jvrjenivs - 02-13-2009

Quote:Whoahhh!!! Where did you get those babies??? nice weaving btw
When did you have them made and by who?

Oh, on the glue issue, make sure the metal is totally oild free, and I would imagine the hair too, or you may have sticking issues!

Thank you Byron. I really like this helmet, although it isn't finished yet. I'm working on this project for over a year now, I think. The iron part is done by Daniyal, as I said before, and they're trying to do the horse-hair part to, but got problems, so I wanted ask peoples advice and/or try myself (therefore I made that weaving this morning).

So I think I'm gonna search for a piece of metal to try it on.

Re: glueing horsehair to iron - M. Demetrius - 02-13-2009

If things don't work well with the glue you choose, try thistothat.com

Re: glueing horsehair to iron - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 02-14-2009

I think the hair of these helmets were woven making one kind of "hat" or net over the iron pieces, as you beginns to do. I think the border of that "hat" could be riveted to the lower part of the iron skull, so the glue don't have to suport so much work. But, as the other have said, if the iron is ungreased and the glue is good, you do¡nt have to have troubles. I have glued felt many times to iron to pad the helmets, and works, so with hair probably works too.

Re: glueing horsehair to iron - jvrjenivs - 02-14-2009

Quote:I think the hair of these helmets were woven making one kind of "hat" or net over the iron pieces, as you beginns to do. I think the border of that "hat" could be riveted to the lower part of the iron skull, so the glue don't have to suport so much work. But, as the other have said, if the iron is ungreased and the glue is good, you do¡nt have to have troubles. I have glued felt many times to iron to pad the helmets, and works, so with hair probably works too.

The problem is that they get a 'ugly solid substance' when glueing the hair to the helmet, I've been told. As for the construction, recent research on those helmets, clearly showed the cover was made of different layers, all glued together in different stages. They weren't woven into a hat first, as was the old thought of this cover.

Re: glueing horsehair to iron - Baiuware - 02-15-2009

If we know that felt will stick to iron with glue, why dont you try to sew the woven "hairpiece" to a felt-cover and glue that to the helmet? Should also be easier to remove for repair.

Re: glueing horsehair to iron - jvrjenivs - 02-16-2009

Quote:If we know that felt will stick to iron with glue, why dont you try to sew the woven "hairpiece" to a felt-cover and glue that to the helmet? Should also be easier to remove for repair.

As we know the original wasn't made that way?

Re: glueing horsehair to iron - Cave Equum - 03-08-2009

Is the plastic copy commercially availiable or did you make it yourself? They both look great by the way. Would love to see the finished result.

Re: glueing horsehair to iron - jvrjenivs - 03-09-2009

Quote:Is the plastic copy commercially availiable or did you make it yourself? They both look great by the way. Would love to see the finished result.

No, not at all. I work together closely with the museum to get this reproduction made and therefore we had the opportunity to handle that casting of the original mask. I hope a commercial version of this helmet will be on the market somewhere this summer. We're doing our best to get the hair done the right way (which still give us some problems).

Re: glueing horsehair to iron - marsvigilia - 03-13-2009

How about using a bitamin based glue? Remember the "Roman Super Glue"? That was primarily Bitamin if I'm remembering correctly.

Re: glueing horsehair to iron - jvrjenivs - 03-13-2009

Quote:How about using a bitamin based glue? Remember the "Roman Super Glue"? That was primarily Bitamin if I'm remembering correctly.

Thanks for the tip. Will search for that.

Re: glueing horsehair to iron - martijn.wijnhoven - 05-12-2009

Jurjen,

I just finishing the book Achter het zilveren masker/Hinter der silbernen Maske (2007: edited by Ronny Meijers & Frank Willer) which made me very curious how you are advancing with your re-constructional trials presented in this topic.

Regards,

Martijn