RomanArmyTalk
The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Greek Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? (/showthread.php?tid=14759)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - Paralus - 05-26-2009

Quote: Instead of criticising others, perhaps you would be good enough to offer up another interpretation of what occurred.......I note you have ignored the questions I posed earlier.... :lol: :lol:

No: only your good self….

I am, as you realise, in the process of doing just that. Indeed it is becoming a tad confusing as that discussion via email with respect to your “rhomboid” formation for Alexander’s forces at Gaugamela is firmly rooted in the Vulgae (Curtius in particular). I see, though, we are now onto Arrian. That suits fine.

Which question? The reference to the king of the Agraines having a hypaspist guard is Arrian 1.5.1:

Quote:But Langarus, king of the Agrianians, who, in the lifetime of Philip, had been an open and avowed friend of Alexander, and had gone on an embassy to him in his private capacity, at that time also came to him with the finest and best armed of the shield-bearing troops, which he kept as a body-guard.

It is generally agreed (which does not make it incontrovertible) that Langarus was not on his Pat Malone in this “usual retinue” of kingly protectors and that Philip expanded upon a guard that was already in existence for Macedonian and neighboring kings.

Quote: it is not clear here whether "Hetaroi" refers to the Mounted "Companions" or the "Pez-hetaroi/Foot-Companions" but the context would appear to be the latter;( they are launched against the Phalanx) the Agrianes and Balacrus' Thracian javelin-men are clearly light Infantry, referred to elsewhere as well.

Note that the scythed chariots are launched against the Phalanx, and that they are opposed by the light Infantry screen.

Not at all: it is abundantly clear that Companion Cavalry is intended.

As I wrote earlier the Agrianes are not posted in front of the phalanx. There is no need to attempt to extrapolate from Arrian’s battle description the whereabouts of the Agrianes for he makes very plain where Alexander placed them (3.12.1 ff):

Quote:Next to the royal squadron on the right wing, half of the Agrianians, under the command of Attalus, in conjunction with the Macedonian archers under Briso’s command, were posted angular-wise in case they should be seized anyhow by the necessity of deepening the phalanx, or of closing up the ranks. Next to the archers were the men called the veteran mercenaries, whose commander was Cleander. In front of the Agrianians and archers were posted the light cavalry used for skirmishing, and the Paeonians, under the command of Aretes and Aristo. In front of all had been posted the Grecian mercenary cavalry under the direction of Menidas; and in front of the royal squadron of cavalry and the other Companions had been posted half of the Agrianians and archers, and the javelin-men of Balacrus who had been ranged opposite the scythe-bearing chariots.

The hetairoi referred to are clearly and unequivocally the Companion Cavalry and not pezhetairoi as your stretch of the source material would have it. It is evident that Darius’ intention was to neutralise or seriously hamper the Macedonian strike weapon – the Companion Cavalry and its king. Alexander prepared his dispositions accordingly. That the line of these chariots also stretched far enough toward the Persian centre so as to charge the far right of phalanx is correct. Arrian explicitly states that these were dealt with by the grooms and the rear ranks of the hypaspists (who had made way for them as instructed).

Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - Paullus Scipio - 05-26-2009

Quote:Paullus Scipio wrote: it is not clear here whether "Hetaroi" refers to the Mounted "Companions" or the "Pez-hetaroi/Foot-Companions" but the context would appear to be the latter;( they are launched against the Phalanx) the Agrianes and Balacrus' Thracian javelin-men are clearly light Infantry, referred to elsewhere as well.

Note that the scythed chariots are launched against the Phalanx, and that they are opposed by the light Infantry screen.

Not at all: it is abundantly clear that Companion Cavalry is intended.

As I wrote earlier the Agrianes are not posted in front of the phalanx. There is no need to attempt to extrapolate from Arrian’s battle description the whereabouts of the Agrianes for he makes very plain where Alexander placed them (3.12.1 ff):
Next to the royal squadron on the right wing, half of the Agrianians, under the command of Attalus, in conjunction with the Macedonian archers under Briso’s command, were posted angular-wise in case they should be seized anyhow by the necessity of deepening the phalanx, or of closing up the ranks. Next to the archers were the men called the veteran mercenaries, whose commander was Cleander. In front of the Agrianians and archers were posted the light cavalry used for skirmishing, and the Paeonians, under the command of Aretes and Aristo. In front of all had been posted the Grecian mercenary cavalry under the direction of Menidas; and in front of the royal squadron of cavalry and the other Companions had been posted half of the Agrianians and archers, and the javelin-men of Balacrus who had been ranged opposite the scythe-bearing chariots.

The hetairoi referred to are clearly and unequivocally the Companion Cavalry and not pezhetairoi as your stretch of the source material would have it. It is evident that Darius’ intention was to neutralise or seriously hamper the Macedonian strike weapon – the Companion Cavalry and its king. Alexander prepared his dispositions accordingly. That the line of these chariots also stretched far enough toward the Persian centre so as to charge the far right of phalanx is correct. Arrian explicitly states that these were dealt with by the grooms and the rear ranks of the hypaspists (who had made way for them as instructed).
• Paralus|Michael Park

We need not quibble as to the posting of the light infantry too much – it is clear from all the sources ( and their numbers) that the light infantry screen stretched across part at least of the phalanx, that the Chariots were tackled and largely stopped by the light infantry/javelin -men, but that some at least made it to the phalanx, where they were let through by the opening of gaps……perhaps Hetairoi here means generically both Mounted and Foot companions?
Interestingly, we don’t hear in any of our sources of the scythed chariots going up against the Mounted Companions….only the Phalanx….. Perhaps Darius intended the scythed chariots to disrupt Alexander's Mounted Companions, but his oblique rightward movement took them clear of the chariot lanes....it is suggestive that the Agrianes and archers directly in front of the Mounted Companions don't seem to have taken part, but rather the javelin-men of Balacrus to their left - indeed Arrian specifically tells us that these latter "stood facing the Persian scythed chariots".

However,we need only be concerned with the movements of the Phalanx here, and they clearly opened 'gaps' in the line, not as you suggested, moved into 'open' order. Xenophon's "Ten Thousand" had dealt with scythed chariots in exactly the same way some 70 years earlier at Cunaxa, with exactly the same result

Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - Paralus - 05-26-2009

Quote:… perhaps you would be good enough to offer up another interpretation of what occurred.

You have it via email. I won’t bore the socks off everyone with what looks like my “working notes” for a “Battle of Gaugamela”…

I will address the chariots and phalanx though.

Quote:We need not quibble as to the posting of the light infantry too much – it is clear from all the sources (and their numbers) that the light infantry screen stretched across part at least of the phalanx, that the Chariots were tackled and largely stopped by the light infantry/javelin -men, but that some at least made it to the phalanx, where they were let through by the opening of gaps……perhaps Hetairoi here means generically both Mounted and Foot companions?

Firstly Arrian is clear in the posting of these men: they are in front of the Companion Cavalry and behind the right wing “thrown forward” at an “oblique” angle (as hamippoi). The “Companions” being referred to are the cavalry – Arrian states this twice. Alexander has these troops posted here because he means to protect his strike arm the: Companion Cavalry.

As the advance and rightward drift begins Alexander and the Royal Ile are described as opposite Darius. Darius is in the middle of his line. Darius has 100 scythe-chariots stationed in the front of his far left wing. He has only 50 such on the far right. Those on the left are with his van cavalry units the Bactrians (1,000) and the Scythians. It seems evident that, if he intended to use these against the Macedonians, he didn’t overlap them by so far as to render these – and their “prepared ground” – useless. In any case Alexander knowingly obliges and advances toward his right.

Quote:Interestingly, we don’t hear in any of our sources of the scythed chariots going up against the Mounted Companions….only the Phalanx…..

I really do not understand how it is you come to that view nor how you arrive at the following:

Quote:Perhaps Darius intended the scythed chariots to disrupt Alexander's Mounted Companions, but his oblique rightward movement took them clear of the chariot lanes....it is suggestive that the Agrianes and archers directly in front of the Mounted Companions don't seem to have taken part,

And so...

The gap having closed Darius, realising that Alexander will move off the prepared ground if this rightward drift is allowed to continue any further, has the Bactrians attempt a flanking movement. The Scythians, riding along the "Macedonian front" (the van of the right) had already come into contact with the scouts, Paeonians and Menindas’ cavalry units. It is clear then that Alexander is now opposite the chariots of the Persian left. Darius does not let his chance go: after his experience at Issos Darius’ hopes of a victory rest on the Macedonian king and his strike arm being severely hampered if not taken out of the action:

Quote:Meantime the foreigners launched their scythe-bearing chariots against Alexander himself, for the purpose of throwing his phalanx into confusion; but in this they were grievously deceived. For as soon as they approached, the Agrianians and the javelin-men with Balacrus, who had been posted in front of the Companion cavalry, hurled their javelins at some of the horses; others they seized by the reins and pulled the drivers off, and standing round the horses killed them.

The Agrianians and Balacrus’ men were in place, in front of the Companion Cavalry, for precisely this reason. Yes some got to the phalanx, the hypaspists, as the chariots likely stretched that far. They obeyed instructions and “stood apart and opened their ranks” allowing them through. The grooms and the rear ranks of the hypaspists then dispatched them as Arrian remarks.

Now as to how, if in synaspismos as Diodorus relates, the phalanx “stood apart” is anyone’s guess. I’d guess Diodorus has assumed or messed up the original source material when he gets to the banging on shields routine. The original source may not have had the phalanx in locked shields at all. God knows there’s little chance of stepping anywhere except upon another’s foot in such formation.

This was precisely my point with my armed “Usain Bolts” and "Rubik’s Cubes” perceived as “ridicule” and “criticism”. I can’t see it.

You may wish to expand or clarify your “split”. I’m not getting it then again, I'm buggered and half asleep….

Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - Paullus Scipio - 05-27-2009

Rather than continue to "hijack" this thread, and given it is just we two discussing the intricacies and mysteries of the Battle of Gaugamela, I'll revert to normal e-mails......

Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - Paralus - 05-27-2009

Quote:Rather than continue to "hijack" this thread...

That's a triffle strong! I'm not al-Qaeda you know.

I thought it was quite fun. The original observation was the synaspismos phalanx allowing the chariots to pass through. This still fascinates me.

Perhaps there are others who'd like to know more about your "splitting" locked-shields phalanx or the Agrianes?? (about which you are thoroughly incorrect) I certainly do as I can't quite get the "splitting" picture. Perhaps I was tired and slow last night but it seems I still am this morning.

Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - Paralus - 05-28-2009

Quote: 'Hypaspist' does indeed translate literally as 'aspis-bearer', or more generically as 'shield-bearer', but NOT 'servant'.

If you seek you shall find. I would suggest that Xenophon (4.2.20) well knew the provennance of the term:

Quote:Xenophônta de ho hupaspistês echôn tên aspida apelipen

Xenophon found himself deserted by the servant who was carrying his shield

You may well need to rethink that dogmatic stance unless this was a stray Macedonian "aspis bearer" ahead of his time.

Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - Paullus Scipio - 05-28-2009

Quote:Xenophônta de ho hupaspistês echôn tên aspida apelipen

Xenophon found himself deserted by the servant who was carrying his shield

You may well need to rethink that dogmatic stance unless this was a stray Macedonian "aspis bearer" ahead of his time.
This is simply a "chicken and egg" translation problem. The word used is 'hyp-aspist'=shield -bearer, not the generic word for 'servant'...there are over 40 words in the ancient Greek lexicon for, or that relate, to 'servant', e.g. 'therapon' = generic servant, waiting-man or slave ( Herdt; Thucyd) but "hyp-aspist" is not one of them ! The translator in this case simply did not want to sound clumsy by the more literal; " Xenophon found himself deserted by the shield-bearer who was carrying his shield". Being even more pedantic, the correct word for shield-bearer in Attic dialect is 'hyperetes'... Smile = military/Hoplite's baggage carrier/shield carrier)- who might also carry the Hoplite's shield among other things!

'Hypaspist' means specifically shield-bearer, sometimes in the sense of 'squire', not generic 'servant'.....

Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - Paralus - 05-28-2009

Quote: This is simply a "chicken and egg" translation problem. The word used is 'hyp-aspist'=shield -bearer, not the generic word for 'servant'...there are over 40 words in the ancient Greek lexicon for, or that relate, to 'servant', but "hyp-aspist" is not one of them ! The translator in this case simply did not want to sound clumsy by the more literal; “shield bearer”

If the fellow described in Anabasis is not a slave then you are suggesting he is a paid free man whose task it is to carry Xenophon’s arms?

Quote: Being even more pedantic, the correct word for shield-bearer in Attic dialect is 'hyperetes'... Smile = military/Hoplite's baggage carrier/shield carrier)- who might also carry the Hoplite's shield among other things!

Yet Xenophon is consistent in the use of this term:

Quote:Hellenica, 4.5.15
toutous men ekeleuon tous hupaspistas aramenous apopherein eis Lechaion

they directed the shield-bearers to take up these wounded men and carry them back to Lechaeum

Ibid, 4.8.39
kai taut' elege kai para tou hupaspistou labôn tên aspida en chôrai autou machomenos apothnêiskei

Thus he spoke, and taking his shield from his shieldbearer, fell fighting on that spot.

These are obviously helots and, doubtless, you will argue that though they are “slaves” Xenophon is using the word in its descriptive sense. The term is used by Diodorus, Euripides and Herodotus. All describe a person performing the duty of the “squire” (for want of a better word). I would imagine that such duties were not performed by the free citizenry of Athens but rather by slaves.

It would seem that when the Macedonians used the word hypaspist (to differentiate the king’s foot guard from the infantry who’d received their former title pezhetairoi) it must now mean “hoplite armed apsis bearers”. For some reason it cannot have been adopted because its descriptive sense neatly describes the purpose of these troops.

Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - Paralus - 05-29-2009

Perhaps the mods might move the below string of posts (and those of this page) to a thread termed "Hypaspist"? That would then leave the phalanx gyrations at Gaugamela to itself without the intrusion of wandering hypaspists...

<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26044&start=120#p239009">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26044&start=120#p239009<!-- l

<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26044&start=120#p239010">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26044&start=120#p239010<!-- l

<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26044&start=120#p239013">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26044&start=120#p239013<!-- l

<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26044&start=120#p239017">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26044&start=120#p239017<!-- l

<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26044&start=120#p239053">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26044&start=120#p239053<!-- l

<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26044&start=120#p239059">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26044&start=120#p239059<!-- l

<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26044&start=120#p239065">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26044&start=120#p239065<!-- l

<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26044&start=120#p239066">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26044&start=120#p239066<!-- l

<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26044&start=120#p239069">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26044&start=120#p239069<!-- l

Quote:2. We are NEVER told that Hoplites actually fought "8 deep" or "12 deep" etc - Xenophon speaks of 'battle formation' 4 deep....

And he is the only one who mentions it – and only in that context:

Quote:Anabasis, 1.2.15:
He ordered the Greeks to form their lines and take their positions just as they were accustomed to do for battle, each general marshalling his own men. So they formed the line four deep

He also mentions what every other source regularly describes:

Quote:Anabasis, 7.1.22-23:
Then he proceeded to pass along this order himself and bade the others send it on--to ground their arms in battle line. The men acted as their own marshals, and within a short time the hoplites had fallen into line eight deep and the peltasts had got into position on either wing.

Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - Paullus Scipio - 05-29-2009

Paralus wrote:
Quote:Paullus Scipio wrote:
This is simply a "chicken and egg" translation problem. The word used is 'hyp-aspist'=shield -bearer, not the generic word for 'servant'...there are over 40 words in the ancient Greek lexicon for, or that relate, to 'servant', but "hyp-aspist" is not one of them ! The translator in this case simply did not want to sound clumsy by the more literal; “shield bearer”

If the fellow described in Anabasis is not a slave then you are suggesting he is a paid free man whose task it is to carry Xenophon’s arms?

...you seem to have misinterpreted what I wrote.........I said nothing of whether 'Hypaspist' was free or slave or helot, merely that the word referred specifically to 'shield-bearer', and not generic 'servant'.

Quote:All describe a person performing the duty of the “squire” (for want of a better word).

I wrote:
Quote:'Hypaspist' means specifically shield-bearer, sometimes in the sense of 'squire', not generic 'servant'.....

We are in broad agreement, I see..... :wink: Smile D

Quote:
Quote:All describe a person performing the duty of the “squire” (for want of a better word).

I wrote:
Quote:'Hypaspist' means specifically shield-bearer, sometimes in the sense of 'squire', not generic 'servant'.....

We are in broad agreement, I see..... :wink: Smile D

Not so fast. You seem to have selectively misquoted me. I actually wrote:

Quote:All describe a person performing the duty of the “squire” (for want of a better word). I would imagine that such duties were not performed by the free citizenry of Athens but rather by slaves.

Quote: 'Battle order' or 'the order in which they meant fight' refers to dispositions - which unit stood next to which.......

Quote: Xenophon speaks of 'battle formation' 4 deep....

So which is correct – the former or the latter?

Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - tsafa - 05-29-2009

I believe the most important reason for such depth in ranks is so that you can rotate the lines and keep fresh men in the front. I have a lot of experience with armored combat and a well trained man will loose his edge after 10 minutes of continuous combat. If the lines are 10 rows deep and the lines are rotated every 8 minutes, that means that each row fights for eight minutes and then rests for almost an hour and half. This is a lot more resourceful then letting each man on the front line fight until he is dead and then bringing up the man from behind to replace him. That would also be very demoralizing. Rotating the lines with long Pikes would not be as difficult as you would think for trained men. It is only a matter of each man dropping back to his right between two men and dragging the pike behind him. The long pikes would actually help maintain order in the ranks and make it difficult for any single man to abandon his post. The difficulty with such Phalanxes is turning them. They can only make wide circles when the pikes are forward or lift them all vertically to make a sharp turn.

There is two ways a battle between two hedgehog formations will likely go aside from a surprise outflanking. The two armies come within pike range of each other and the front line begin to spear duel at the edge of their range. There will be a gap of about 8 to 10 feet between the lines. The possibility is that one of the sides (or both) decide to charge. In that case the font lines go hand to hand with short weapons while the 2nd, 3rd and possibly 4th lines go to work with the pikes.

Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - Giannis K. Hoplite - 06-02-2009

There is no posibility that they wished to rotate. It is never mentioned happening either in macedonian or earlier phalanx. Each man knew his position in it,so specificly that when they formed after a battle,the losses produced "gaps" in the phalanx.
It is also impossible to rotate. You simply cannot expect a fighting man to desert his line and go back,and all the rest behind him step forward without producing a mess. The whole thing worked because the front was remaining as much unbroken as possible.
Also there was noone counting minutes till the next rotation. You can't expect all of them doing it whenever they felt tired.
Finally it's impossile to raise your sarissa horizontal while four ranks behind you and ten to your sides have theirs down. You produce a mess.
Khaire
Giannis