RomanArmyTalk
The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Greek Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? (/showthread.php?tid=14759)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - PMBardunias - 06-25-2009

Quote:This can be a retaining barrier, but it can also be other people in a crowd. ...this is where we differ! Unlike an inanimate immovable object, people generally can and do move, and psychology/fear prevents the deliberate 'crushing' of the front of one crowd against another...in this instance I would venture to suggest that the leading ranks of Hoplites would push back against their own side rather than be propelled forward onto the spearpoints of their opponents!

Ok, if that's your view. No need to proceed further for nothing even close to othismos can occur if men don't come closer than spear-range. I on the other hand believe the ample evidence, from Tyrtaeous on through the medieval age, that shows that men will go shield to shield reguardless of pointed sticks.

Quote:....but it is clear that the wall/barrier plays a key role in every case, for without it the conditions necessary simply don't occur - as you say, people free to move do!

Again, you posit the most timid hoplites one could imagine. Now they are too skittish to even move forward en mass without being herded through chutes like sheep off to the shear!

Quote:I agree with you that something of this sort probably occurred at Cannae, and other battles too - there are rare instances described of the crowd being 'dense' enough that the dead can't fall. This is not however a regular occurrence, deliberately brought about, as you envisage. It occurs accidently, and rarely enough to be commented on, not something deliberately done.

It surely is deliberately done. It is one of the great benefits of surrounding a foe that they begin to foul one another.

Quote:.....once again, your examples involve 'crowds' in constrained circumstances, and I am not aware of crowds confronting one another on a street generating sufficient force to cause Mass Casualties. Could you be more specific?

The converging example I was thinking of happened in Mexico City in 1985, but such examples are not important. If you do not credit hoplites in phalanx with the ability to collide with their opposite phalanx then we really have no more to write about. If they cannot come to grips with their foes but instead must stand at spear range then of course no othismos can occur.

Quote:You agree, I think, that initially the two phalanxes would be divided by a short ( the length of the spears! ) 'no man's land', and that spear fencing and thrusting took place (doratissimos) Just how does that convert to your 'othismos' of two 'shield walls' shoving? Mutual consent?

Spears break, men infiltrate between them. Since I cannot stab with a spear with any particular accuracy I would risk ducking it and jamming my sword into the spearman's gullet. There are many reasons that the battle might move less than spear range. It is obvious that it did- unless you think the Spartans and Thebans at Coronea were waving their little swords at each other from 5' away and got their shield's crushed by their own promachoi pushing backwards. :roll: (I have always wanted to use the eye roll)

Quote:How is this 'shoving' co-ordinated along a line a thousand yards long?

Its not. There is no need to coordinate pushing beyond the unit level. Waves of pushing surely travelled down the length of the line like the "wave" at a stadium. The outcome was not coordinated either clearly since almost invariably the phalanxes pinw-heeled as their respective right wings pushed forward.

Quote:Isn't it more likely that, assuming both sides were willing to fight, they "charged", spontaneously stopped at spear-fighting distance and fought in groups alternately attacking and withdrawing to catch their breath, so that the 'battle-front' seethed and writhed until one sides 'will to fight' wavered, through casualties and/or morale? ( We see similar fighting in modern riots, sometimes lasting hours, just like ancient battles).

This is exactly what happened before othismos, though battles could be wone simply through this phase.

Quote:I am not saying that no physical 'shoving' ever took place, just that it was more likely to be spontaneous and localised to small groups or individuals seeking to 'break' the line rather than some mass co-ordinated shove by thousands of men acting as a thousand yard long human bulldozer. I believe your idea would fall down on that point alone ! The pressure could not possibly be even all along the front.

I have failed someplace if you believe that pressure should be even along the whole front. In fact, were this the case you would simply push the whole enemy phalanx back and not casue a breakthrough! It is of course impossible to coordinate such movements along an extended front, but also needless. At the fundamental level coordination is only needed from the back to the front of a file. Because shields are interlocked and you'd like to penetrate at more than a width of one man pushing was probably coordinated within units- tens of yards, not thousands. It is the relatively narrow width of the Theban advance at Leuktra which caused Xenophon to describe it as an embolon or ship's ram.

Quote:Asking if there is an example of two groups of people in an open field who crashed into each other like lethal crowds is a bit like asking for an example of pedestrians bumping into each other on the street and breaking out into a full-blown Sumo pushing match. They surely could do it, but why would they? Put the same two guys trying to push through a narrow door in a burning building and you will see lots of pushing.

...have you not just handily demonstrated that some sort of physical constraint is needed to produce what you envisage?

I was unaware that Sumo wrestlers required a doorway in their circle in order to collide. :wink: The point is that they can decide to collide, but this is not commonly done outside of an agonistic context. Warfare has been known to cause men to act uncivilly.

Quote:A Hoplite battle on an open battlefield has no such constraints. Any attempt by part of the formation to 'squeeze' others would simply result in equal and opposite resistance. Without a 'wall' or similar there is nothing to push against. No huge forces, just a crowd packed like sardines trying to shuffle forward and impale their front line officers on their opponents spears, and you can bet that in such a situation the front couple of ranks would be 'pushing' alright - back against those behind them !!!

"equal and opposite resistance" is the key!!! One "crowd packed like sardines trying to shuffle forward" is matched by their equal and opposite, another " crowd packed like sardines trying to shuffle forward, moving in the other direction!"

Quote:Surely you have demolished your own case ! If the front ranks aren't being propelled forward by the mass force of those behind and can't be knocked forward, then there is no pressure on them, just as in the car analogy you describe there is no pressure on the cars in front. But perhaps what you really mean is that each rank begins 'shoving' gradually, until all are, and disengage similarly, so that the build-up or die-down of your postulated shove is gradual. If so, as I suggested, the front ranks, being all too human will resist and push back !

This is not that difficult. You and I are hoplites on a battle field. My spear breaks so I decided to move in shield to shield and luckily evade your dory thrust. We are now shield to shield and trying to push each other back while stabbing. You start to push me back until Giannis puts his aspis against my back, then Michael sees you stopped and starting to give way, so he pushes you from behind as well. You are distracted by something he is saying about Alexander's deployment, and so do not notice Christan coming up in support of Giannis until you start moving back a step at a time. Luckily for you, George backs up Michael and we push at each other ineffectively. Other men file in and the rear rankers on each side push hard, making them men as tight as possible. Luckily for both of us we are not killing eachother since our swords are crossed, but sardines before battle? Really Now! Our second rankers are doing their jobs by protecting us and stabbing forward when they get a chance. Multiply this by the number of files.

We are all packed tight and pushing, but at no time is the force unbalanced for long. If it were, one side would be driven back. We are close enough that we can only advance by single steps and you or I cannot fall backwards if we wanted to. Were we Romans with Scutii, we could not sustain this for very long. The pressure on us is surely over 1,000 Newtons of force by now and we could not expand our diaphragms to breathe. You and I would pass out and our own rear ranks would loosen up so that they don't as well. But we are Greek Hoplites and we carry perhaps the finest piece of evolved military engineering in the ancient world, perhaps surpassed only by the composite bow, on our arms. We can breathe. If my men break, then the pressure reduces with each man who turns to flee. By the time Giannis and Christian can turn to go, the only force on your file is from me pushing. Since you are surely pushing me back at this point your advance spoils your packing and the pressure on you drops as well. By the time I run, there is almost no force on your back.

Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - Paullus Scipio - 06-25-2009

Since we are playing "imaginary re-enactment", I'll play too.... :wink: :wink:
Paul B wrote:
Quote:This is not that difficult. You and I are hoplites on a battle field. My spear breaks so I decided to move in shield to shield and luckily evade your dory thrust. We are now shield to shield and trying to push each other back while stabbing. You start to push me back until Giannis puts his aspis against my back, then Michael sees you stopped and starting to give way, so he pushes you from behind as well. You are distracted by something he is saying about Alexander's deployment, and so do not notice Christan coming up in support of Giannis until you start moving back a step at a time. Luckily for you, George backs up Michael and we push at each other ineffectively.
...Archelaos, standing to my left can't believe his luck ! A helpless target, pinned and jammed between Me and Giannis shoving from behind, unable to move. While keeping his own opponent at bay, he angles his spear to the right and gives a quick thrust.....Horrified you see it coming but can do nothing.
'The pitiless iron slams though your neck,' ( to coin a Homeric phrase !) the point severing your carotid, and all but severing your spine as it is as quickly withdrawn. Giannis, spattered in your gore, scrambles backward to avoid a like fate. Archelaos and I push forward, only to be driven back in turn and the two sides separate in this immediate vicinity gathering breath and strength for the next onslaught..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The point being that the presence of nasty sharp weapons renders any attempt at 'shoving', even for a short while, suicidal.....

Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - Paralus - 06-25-2009

Quote:.....This is something of an assumption on your part, he does not omit the dimoirites/half-file leader,

I do not have the Greek but, as the file leader is named as such, if the word dimoirites was used by Arrian it would be translated as such - as file leader was. that it wasn't indicates Arrian did not use the term.

I assume nothing in fact, simply state what Arrian has said rather than assume - as you - what he might have meant. You assume that these descriptions mean "corporals" and other NCOs yet Arrian nowhere states such in his text. It is self eveident, based on Arrian's description, that this phalanx was to be used in a simple straight line of attack. The weight of attack will be borne by the front three saris-bearing ranks. The Persians - armed in traditional fashion - are simply fillers who will loose javellins and arrows and lend weight to the front sarisa bearers. When considered holistically, the evidence is consistent and surely points to front sarisa armed rows engaing in the pahalanx fighting.

Quote:You are also in a minority regarding the Phalanx having 'Half-file Leaders' - Connolly, Sekunda, Devine and many others all posit, like me, that Alexander's Phalanx had 'Half' and 'Quarter' file leaders.

No: simply that Arrian does not mention dimoiites or half file leaders. He mentions many other positions but not ever a half file leader to my recollection.

Quote:
Quote:Anab, 7.22-23:

Then he proceeded to pass along this order himself and bade the others send it on--to ground their arms in battle line. [23] The men acted as their own marshals, and within a short time the hoplites had fallen into line eight deep and the peltasts had got into position on either wing.
The troops here are in a town (Byzantium) and are told to 'fall in' in their 'normal/proper' formations for a Parade and address by Xenophon in a paved square, and naturally they form up in files in 'normal/open' order, eight deep. They are not about to meet a foe, forming up in the last stages of an advance.Elsewhere, Xenophon tells us that for a fight they stood four deep i.e. 'half files' in close order. Smile D

I will not go into that debate again. Simply - as Giannis has cleared up - "en machen" and "en taxeis" means to place in line or order. This is what Xenophon states on the two occasions. In your instance they are on parade and "eis machen" and "are not about to meet a foe", rather, go to dinner; at Byzantiun "en taxei".

Quote: You start to push me back until Giannis puts his aspis against my back, then Michael sees you stopped and starting to give way, so he pushes you from behind as well. You are distracted by something he is saying about Alexander's deployment, and so do not notice Christan coming up in support of Giannis until you start moving back a step at a time. Luckily for you, George backs up Michael and we push at each other ineffectively.

Eh?? Hullo folks and what's in it for the workers!? I didn't Volunteer for Uncle Sparta's Army! I was drafted while drunk! Pacicifist I said not peltast.

I'm outa here: you can have my dory or sariasa, I'm off to get a fishing rod in my hands.

Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - Paullus Scipio - 06-25-2009

Paralus wrote:
Quote:No: simply that Arrian does not mention dimoiites or half file leaders. He mentions many other positions but not ever a half file leader to my recollection.
Sorry? As I have already related, Arrian does indeed use the words Dekadarch, Dimoirites and two Dekastateroi (Arrian Anabasis VII.23). Aelian tells us: " ..the half-file of course consists of a like number of men and is called a [i]semi-dekuria and it's leader is called dimoirites..." [/i] Fragments of papyri from the reign of Ptolemy I shortly after Alexander's death refer to Dekanikoi (file leaders) and Dimoiritai ( double pay men/Half file leaders), so as you would expect, these 'ranks' existed in a traditional Macedonian Phalanx too, not just A.'s experimental mixed one, and the File leader, Half-file leader and quarter file leader are all referred to in all the hellenistic manuals........surely such evidence is persuasive? It certainly is to most modern writers, as I have mentioned.

Quote:The weight of attack will be borne by the front three saris-bearing ranks. The Persians - armed in traditional fashion - are simply fillers who will loose javellins and arrows and lend weight to the front sarisa bearers.
Again, this is assumption on your part, for Arrian does not say this at all !!

Quote:"en machen" and "en taxeis" means to place in line or order. This is what Xenophon states on the two occasions. In your instance they are on parade and "eis machen" and "are not about to meet a foe", rather, go to dinner; at Byzantiun "en taxei".
No, they are not parading for dinner - they are carrying out a 'dress rehearsal' for the battle and charge four deep in a sufficiently realistic and scary fashion as to terrify the locals. Afterward they disperse laughing to their tents, and Cyrus is very pleased at the panic his mercenaries caused among the natives.

In the second instance, they are on a peaceful parade square, with grounded arms and form up in the 'normal/open' order, eight deep, as you would expect. The only time they normally 'close up' into half-files is just before contact with an enemy. Most of the time they march in files and form lines eight deep - in 'normal/open' order, which allows them to manouevre, counter-march etc. In my view, and that of others, 'close order' of 'half-files' is only used for combat, and the troops are then too close to one another for counter-marching etc to take place.

Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - Macedon - 06-25-2009

Quote:This is not correct. You don’t “stop in time” because you see the enemy ranks; you stop in time because you watch the back of the man in front of you slow down. This is obvious from a traffic example. You don’t look ahead to the accident to know when to stop in the line of cars in a jam, but at the decelerating car right in front of you. Because the ability of the person in front of you to slow down is similar to your ability to slow down, all you need is enough time to perceive that he is slowing down so you can match it- a few paces will do.
Maybe you misunderstood me here. When I say "a good distance" I mean one, one and a half yards or so. And in such a distance it is impossible to understand when your frontman will collide with the enemy to stop in time (especially if you are a fourth ranker or more to the back). In your analogy, should you drive a car with 60 (20) mph, keep a distance of 3 (1) yards from the car in front and suddenly this car crushes (not even breaks) into a wall, I doubt you will be able to do anything else than just crash on it yourself. But then this would be the whole point if you would like to bring down the wall...Yet, 8 uncoordinated collisions against the wall don't really add to the force. Should the cars touch each other in the first place during the impact, it is another story. Since you also agre that normally there was a "doratismos" phase before any other, I think we are in agreement that at least on the run, there would be no "othismos" from a hoplite phalanx.
Quote:4) The only way to add the force of subsequent ranks to the forward push is to minimize the interval of impacts to the point where the mass acts as single entity- this is what we call a “crowd” (a specific meaning here referring to a lack of space between men). In this state force can transfer forward through ranks, so even small force of forward pressure by each man simply leaning forward and transferring his weight to the man in front adds up quickly to be a stronger forward pushing force than an individual impact of a running man. Just as important, this force is sustained, not an impact.
Exactly my point. 8 men shoving at the same time shouting in rhythm (en (prepare) dio (shove) (Of course these are numbers, just trying to show the effect Big Grin D )) can really exert enough physical force to push an enemy line, especially if it is not in perfect condition. Yet, I don't like the sustained pressure model for it becomes uncontrollable in the first ranks. I prefer to view it as a series of controlled pushes, which gradually push back the opponent without endangering the cohesion of the phalanx. These could go on like for minutes, but in controlled stages. It seems to me that your use of the word "crowd" is misleading. Crowds are uncontrolled, indisciplined, uncoordinated. Thus your theory (at least in the beginning) sounds as complete chaos through the ranks, with every man shoving the back of his frontman without caring whether he marches too far from his sidemen and into the enemy lines.
Quote:5) This basic form of a crowd leaning forward takes absolutely no training and happens all the time when people are in mass- sometimes with fatal results. Force can be increased if the crowd moves rhythmically to push/lean in unison and this will benefit from training to move in rhythm-i.e. group dances of the sort we know were common in Greece.
Of course, but an untrained mass would not engage in such tactics, there would be no point, unless it was itself pushed back, unfamiliar with "othismos" (whatever it might exactly be), so the back ranks would just try to keep their lines shoving the front ranks. Should they be completely unaware, some would backstep, some would not and the line would lose its order (although to exploit that the advancing army should not lose its own order). Yet we are discussing hoplite tactics now, so I think we both agree that however othismos looked like, the hoplites must have rehearsed and trained at it.
Quote:Each man adds some fraction of his body weight. Special pushing stances are less important than cohesion. The point is to transfer as much of your weight/pushing force to the man in front of you while keeping the absolute minimal distance between you and he (and the man behind you). This will dictate just how wide a range of “stances” men can assume because there is a trade-off between pushing and being close enough to transfer efficiently. You’ll note that this requirement becomes less important as you move back in rank and by the last rank. The front ranks add more force by simply standing up and transferring the force of 7-11 men behind them than they would if they adopted a stance that interfered with this transfer no matter how hard they push individually. Rear rank men have no such restriction and they should be pushing as hard as they can and in any stance that maximized pushing. One of the reenactors on here tried a collision of one man against a line standing at minimal distance. It worked perfectly as a proof of concept. When the foe ran into the front rank, the rear rank man was knocked back on his butt. I should have told them that the rear ranker needs to brace and not stand up, but the force transferred fluidly through the mass of men just like in a “Newton’s cradle”
The problem with that principal (Newton's cradle) is that the front ball has the exact force the first ball exerts. This means that if only one or two rear rankers actually push while the mid and front ranks stand in cohesion in stances unable to exert any real force, then the final force exerted will be this of two men only. There is little point in pinning yourself against the enemy, unable to fight or defend to exert the same force that you and your epistates would if trained to cooperate in proper stances. Of course, some force can be added by the interim ranks, but the exact effect you describe, produced be men with proper stances, trained to do so, would multiply its efficiency to such an effect that short shoves would be necessary to keep advancing and not getting trampled by your own "crowd". Actually, the data you give about the pushing force in relation with body angle suggests the assumption of propser stances, as I supprt. Your last observation is correct, yet it proves that withstanding pressure (if you are trained at this) is easier and safer than to exert it, if the process of pushing is uncontrolled.
Quote:The enemy cannot kneel and will find it difficult to fall even in death when the push is at its height. He will only fall when pressure decreases, as it does rhythmically, and when that occurs the promachos is no longer being thrust forward so forcibly. The key to this, and perhaps the hardest part to grasp, is that othismos cannot occur unopposed. There will never be a case like the experiment I wrote of above where a man can run into a phalanx in this density because it will only be at this density in reaction to another phalanx being also at this density.
Exactly. Should the enemy train to oppose the effects of an uncontrolled othismos, then the whole process is disadvantageous to the pusher. The enemy though (should he choose to, train to, fight with his rearman a yard away and just lose balance from the shock) can kneel or fall and an uncontrolled push would most possibly make the protostates of the pushing line fall. (a friend (expert in martial arts, among which pangration) once suggested that the front rankers might also brace just before the othismos to keep their line, but should this have happened, it would crop up in a text or two and when we tried it, we found out that it was very difficult and problematic due to the fact that the free hand should firmly grasp the shield arm and the angles produced were just not very helpful. We did not dismiss it though as a theory..). One more observation is that in order to forcibly push you do not judge what the opposition force is. Should it decrease, the back ranks, the real pushers in your model would never know it until it would be too late. In their minds, they would just march forward pushing and would not know when to stop. Should they try to, it would again lead to chaos, for some would judge they should lessen their pressure, some would keep pushing thinking they routed their opponents, some would stop too soon and the line would lose its formation. You cannot leave such decisions to the judgement of the individual filecloser. 1000 files would mean 1000 different opinions as to when to stop, lessen, increase pushing force. In a matter of seconds, the line would be no more (should the push be successful!). Actually I agree that such effects would occur in a battle, when you or the enemy would force such a situation but I want to believe that this was not the famed othismos, but a "crowd" effect of too much density.
Quote:No advance beyond a shuffle is possible in this density- just as no retreat beyond a shuffle is possible at this density. They cannot take 5 quick steps back any faster than you can take 5 steps forward. When one side routs, breaking from the rear, then both sides loosen their order.
Only if the enemy is as strong as you, fights in dense files (not ranks) and pushes back. Should the enemy sidestep (reenacted that and proved a very successful anti-pushing technique), instantly or partially deploy in open order (with dense files and drawn swords), thus effectively doubling its depth (maybe the first 3 ranks) while every second enemy file would in a glimpse lose its balance, things are different. Most times we rehearsed uncontrolled othismos (crowd effect, prolonged blind pushing, running charge etc), the attackers found themselves in worse positions than the defenders.
Quote:Not sure what you mean by “right overlap”. In terms of keeping order there is little difference, though right-over-left is a little stronger, but for other reasons I think right-over-left superior.
Actually there is much difference between a "right-over-left" and a "left-over-right" overlap of shields. Although most reliefs we have suggest the first to be prominent, I think that this is the case only during march, for it facilitates movement. It allows you to "open" your shield and strike from that opening and also to just hold your shield on the side and march with ease and speed. On the other hand, a "left-over-right" overlap does not allow you to open yourself, since it is locked from the right and so you cannot push your shield to the side, does not allow you to step in front of the line and thus facilitates cohesion. In my model of othismos, it also adds to the push of the man to your right, for it adds to shoulder and arm movement and stops his forward movement by "pushing" him rightwards, (a very important fact when considering the principles of line advancement) whereas the former style pushes your shield to the left and allows individuals to be shoven off the line. This you should definitely try with friends. Even trying it with bear arms makes the differences visible.
Quote:It could last for a very long time. I just put some data on my blog recorded from a concert where huge pressures were recorded for 85 minutes- causing many to be removed from the crowd for medical reasons. My guess is that it lasted for a period of some time and if one side did not give way, the two sides loosened up like two weary wrestlers- perhaps back to the 4-5’ or so between phalanxes that was conducive to doratismos. Then the whole thing cycled again.
So, how did they disengage? A command? I am sure that in that concert you are referring to people also wanted to disengage but the mass didn't (mostly because the pressure is not applied to all equally, but to only certain unlucky individuals). I cannot imagine your model working like that, for it would demand a simultaneous decisions by both sides. Should one side recoil, the other one would only be motivated to push harder, for the enemy would be giving in. Once engaged as your model suggests, it is, to my opinion, not possible to disengage, since any such attempt would encourage the other side.
Quote:As you see, lots of pushing by individuals and even groups, very close to othismos. Hoplites could surely fight at this less dense formation as well. The key is that they can take it further- hoplites can go to 11
Of course there was individual pushing by troops fighting in irregular formations. They tried to hack at their enemies and his shieldwalls stood in the way... But nowhere in this text is a mass or even by unit push described. Only individual efforts of some warriors to push the shield of the enemy aside and open a gap to hack at him, a battle between ordered troops and irregular barbarians. To withstand the first onslaught, Romans (and many others) , tightened their first three ranks (as Arrian orders in his Ektaxis kat' Alanon) to receive a charge at run. Btw, what do you mean by "less dense formation"? I guess you mean the barbarian density?
Quote:Being crushed in a crowd like a sardine is pretty orderly, so this is no problem. Withstanding and exerting pressure is exactly the same thing in othismos. It is interesting that you “see” the need for order and cohesion for “withstanding’ but don’t realize the same rules apply for “exerting” in mass. They are the same. Here's an image done by one of our RAT members that I advised on. It shows how I envision many elements, most important how they could still fight in the press:
But I do! My model does not refuse othismos. It just suggests that it was done orderly, after a certain order was given and was performed in segments of 1-2 rhythmical steps. This could end up pushing the enemy line a hundred yards in a matter of minutes (btw, the image only shows 1-3 ranks of Spartans at doratismos. Did you intend to direct me to another image?).
Quote:They could move quickly into othismos with very little wait to re-order, but that would require a slow, very ordered march, probably to the sound of flutes, and would result in you enemy sometimes running away either before contact or quickly after because they cannot match your order as fast. It helps to wear red when you do this. :wink:
Yes it does, doesn't it? :lol: :lol:
Quote:This is “common knowledge” but not true. You can find a football player to push as hard and as skilfully as he wishes and I can block him with a group of cheerleaders if they form a crowd. You need depth and/or coordination. That fact that a single man cannot break into formed men is evidence of this. Some minimal depth is needed because each man is pushing less than he would were he in a stance as you describe, but by being close they can add their pushing force while a group trying to push as individuals cannot. Thus if we graphed it out over different phalanx depths, you’d see an initial benefit to all out pushing which then starts to lose to the crowd-like group as more men are added.
Now add 8 football players coordinating their push in small steps... I do not disagree with the push of the ranks. I just support that it was done in small segments, so that the front ranks would not lose their balance and cohesion. Cohesion is not about files but ranks. Hoplites would strive to keep a line, so a forward march of one step would drive the enemy back and not break the line. After that another step... should the enemy get too packed to efficiently withstand pressure, they would try to advance 2 steps and so on. A line that is not in a receive pressure stance will see its rear ranks being shoven off and to the ground as you suggested, before they would get back to line, another push would bring down more men, since the depth of the formation now would be even more shallow. In a matter of minutes, a line which is not trained to withstand such a push will crumble and no disadvantage would come to the pushing line, nor should there be any opposition for this drill to work.
Why do you think that pushing in segments is difficult, complex or less effective than doing the same thing for a sustained time? It would allow for the line to assume pressure exerting and withstanding stance and maintain it too.
Quote:Not a reenactor, perhaps for Marathon though. Training is always a benefit, but the beauty of othismos is that it allows the maximum use of less well trained troops.
Oh.. you should do some reenacting...Most people do it to see themselves dressed up in front of a mirror, but to those who wish to evaluate certain details about warfare, it is an invaluable experience.
Quote:You fight him as any heavy infantry would. The hoplite was quite capable of fighting outside of the pushing of phalanx combat. Othismos is simply a phase of battle, one that need not be achieved in all cases. It is after one side gives way that all of the ‘martial arts’ taught by hoplomachoi can be brought into play.
Of course you do... the question was about how would the pusher know it and stop his shoving... According to the "crowd" effect, the first ranks of the attacking line would just lose their balance and fall down. But I already posed this question above
Quote:Or never, or almost immediately if you are a Spartan or perhaps being led by Pelopidas.
Why "almost immediately" if you are Spartan? I am not aware of any such references. :?: And, if you are suggesting it needs some preparation to be employed en mass, then there should be a command given, shouldn't there?
Quote:You could spear fence for hours and never do it. “Full force” needs defining in this context, because each individual need not produce much force, it is the aggregate that is important.
Again I agree. It seems we mostly disagree on the time scale employed.

Here you can see 2 ranks of hoplites advancing wit different overlaps. Left you can observe how the right-over-left overlap allows the opening of the shield wall actually endangering the phalanx. In the next image this is not possible unless willfully pulling your shield away.

In this image, you can see my fears as I have experienced in reenactments of uncontrolled pushing. The front pushing ranks are not able to attack or defend, because of the force exerted on their backs. Their enemies give way, so they are pushed forward and strive to keep their balance. The second they penetrate the enemy line, they are easy targets for the enemy on their right. The latter try to withstand the pressure and thus, sword in hand, have coordination over their movements leaning forward on their shields to support their frontman. They only have to stab with their free hand from a steady position against an enemy who is forcibly pushed forward without the benefit of a shield or the ability to well perceive the hits against him.

Quote:...Archelaos, standing to my left can't believe his luck ! A helpless target, pinned and jammed between Me and Giannis shoving from behind, unable to move. While keeping his own opponent at bay, he angles his spear to the right and gives a quick thrust.....Horrified you see it coming but can do nothing.
'The pitiless iron slams though your neck,' ( to coin a Homeric phrase !) the point severing your carotid, and all but severing your spine as it is as quickly withdrawn. Giannis, spattered in your gore, scrambles backward to avoid a like fate. Archelaos and I push forward, only to be driven back in turn and the two sides separate in this immediate vicinity gathering breath and strength for the next onslaught.....

Except that he has a spear that extends some 5' beyond his grip and I am within 3' of him. His spear is quickly bound up with Giannis' and while he is looking sideways the hoplite in front of him is slamming into him with his own aspis and, more importantly, inserting his short laconian xiphos into the soft flesh between neck and clavicle. A veritable fountain of gore spouts forth like a red rooster tail..

Quote:The point being that the presence of nasty sharp weapons renders any attempt at 'shoving', even for a short while, suicidal.....

This is not even debatable. We KNOW that men came shield to shield in some battles. I'm not sure why you are argueing this tack. They may very well have not pushed at all and alaways fought at spear range, but that would be as much the result of specifically not closing as closing would be intentionally coming to grips.

Quote:Left you can observe how the right-over-left overlap allows the opening of the shield wall actually endangering the phalanx.

By convention on this site we have been calling overlap in the opposite manner. The preffered method by both you and I is "Right hand man's shield overlapping left hand man's shield" or "right over left." We have argued this ad nauseum on here inthe past and as far as I know you are now the only other person who advocates right over left. I'll add to your observation of the weakness of L-o-R that as the lines back in you end up with someone's shield rim in your gut. I for one would not want anyting betwene me and my aspis.

OK, I meant right of shield over left of shield, but that is just jargon. Yet, it is interesting that most reliefs and paintings present the opposite overlap, isn't it? Were is this discussion btw? Would be interesting to see what most people advocate... but yes.. I much prefer that overlap when in line. It really helped us keep ranks and push, especially during charge, when the other overlap would many times end with individuals moving their shields too much opening gaps and breaking off when pushing.

Quote:in such a distance it is impossible to understand when your frontman will collide with the enemy to stop in time (especially if you are a fourth ranker or more to the back).

Ah, I see, we were argueing different things. I was not saying the rear ranks can simply stop before a collision, but that they can pull up short prior to contact with the enemy line. This does not involve an abrupt stop, but the gradual decelleration of the promachoi and thus the subsequent ranks have time to slow down as well. Many believe that this is impossiple and men would all topple over like dominos.

Quote:Exactly my point. 8 men shoving at the same time shouting in rhythm (en (prepare) dio (shove) (Of course these are numbers, just trying to show the effect )) can really exert enough physical force to push an enemy line, especially if it is not in perfect condition. Yet, I don't like the sustained pressure model for it becomes uncontrollable in the first ranks. I prefer to view it as a series of controlled pushes, which gradually push back the opponent without endangering the cohesion of the phalanx. These could go on like for minutes, but in controlled stages.

I'm all for coordinating rthym. I have written before on the benefit of sea shantys and "work songs" when doing group labor. You know the Spartan's sang to eachother in the ranks before battle. Men who dance together regularly will be much more able to keep in mass rythm even without song at the time.

The problem is that all the coordination in the world is useless if there is space between men. Any space between men will cause force to be absorbed rather than transferred forward. This is where the popular image of sideways pushing in the shield bowl fails. Under pressure those men, or men pushing at arms length, will collapse forward. The collapse acts like a "crumple zone' in a car and absorbs force.

Sustained pressure would obviously be a benefit if you could survive it. We can survive being crushed toa great extent if it happens quickly and them ceases. It takes comparitively little pressure to be lethal if it is sustained because even a small weight on your chest can keep you from breathing and cause lethal fatigue. In episodic pushing with two sides evenly matched either you have a simple back and forth with no ground gained or you end up at my crowd densities since the only alternative to moving back as a unit is packing closer together. This is why it natually emerges, eventually you are not "moving" at all, but simply pushing each other until one side breaks- one step at a time.

Quote:It seems to me that your use of the word "crowd" is misleading. Crowds are uncontrolled, indisciplined, uncoordinated. Thus your theory (at least in the beginning) sounds as complete chaos through the ranks, with every man shoving the back of his frontman without caring whether he marches too far from his sidemen and into the enemy lines.

This is a semantic issue. I am using "crowd" in a specific scientific context to describe men who are standing at very close distance, so close that force transfer fluidly through them. It has nothing to do with how the crowd is organized, but at these densities they are quite organized. Sardines in a can are more organized than those swimming.

Quote:Of course, but an untrained mass would not engage in such tactics, there would be no point, unless it was itself pushed back, unfamiliar with "othismos" (whatever it might exactly be), so the back ranks would just try to keep their lines shoving the front ranks. Should they be completely unaware, some would backstep, some would not and the line would lose its order (although to exploit that the advancing army should not lose its own order). Yet we are discussing hoplite tactics now, so I think we both agree that however othismos looked like, the hoplites must have rehearsed and trained at it.

Training comes in many levels and surely othismos predates training for othismos. The mid ranks don't need much in the way of training, I'll show you by way of example. You and I are face to face and I push you with 50 lbs of force. Now I get 12 friends to simple stand up between us and we push them until they are belly to back. Again I push the line with 50 lbs of force, and if the men in the middle do nothing but transfer the force like the Newton's cradle, you recieve 50 lbs of force if it transfers efficiently. I try again and this time each man leans forward as I push which only adds a small amout to the effort, lets say 10 lbs. You now recieve 50 + (12 x 10) or 170lbs of force. When you push back, they don't help you, so I only recieve 50 lbs. If you try to get help from friends trained to push hard but don't form this dense, then what happens is each new guy adds less to the effort, until subsequent men add nothing. Something like (50 + 40 + 30 + 20 + 10 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0= 150 lbs). I still win by 20 lbs.

Quote:There is little point in pinning yourself against the enemy, unable to fight or defend to exert the same force that you and your epistates would if trained to cooperate in proper stances.

See above, but perhaps it would be helpful to describe the stance you envision.

Quote:Exactly. Should the enemy train to oppose the effects of an uncontrolled othismos, then the whole process is disadvantageous to the pusher. The enemy though (should he choose to, train to, fight with his rearman a yard away and just lose balance from the shock) can kneel or fall and an uncontrolled push would most possibly make the protostates of the pushing line fall. (a friend (expert in martial arts, among which pangration) once suggested that the front rankers might also brace just before the othismos to keep their line, but should this have happened, it would crop up in a text or two and when we tried it, we found out that it was very difficult and problematic due to the fact that the free hand should firmly grasp the shield arm and the angles produced were just not very helpful. We did not dismiss it though as a theory..).

This cannot occur in my othismos because by definition any space between forces that could be exploited in this manner does not exist. You cannot side-step, you can hardly move. If you kneel the man will not fall over you, there is no room to do so. You are only say 1.5' thick and he is at least 2'-3' taller than your head when kneeling. He can bend over you, but before falling forward he will hit the man behind you- who is also being pushed over you. You die, the girl dies, everybody but your foe dies. You can do this if you are fighting at a proto-othismos density, which is what you guys are doing.

Quote:One more observation is that in order to forcibly push you do not judge what the opposition force is. Should it decrease, the back ranks, the real pushers in your model would never know it until it would be too late. In their minds, they would just march forward pushing and would not know when to stop. Should they try to, it would again lead to chaos, for some would judge they should lessen their pressure, some would keep pushing thinking they routed their opponents, some would stop too soon and the line would lose its formation. You cannot leave such decisions to the judgement of the individual filecloser. 1000 files would mean 1000 different opinions as to when to stop, lessen, increase pushing force. In a matter of seconds, the line would be no more (should the push be successful!). Actually I agree that such effects would occur in a battle, when you or the enemy would force such a situation but I want to believe that this was not the famed othismos, but a "crowd" effect of too much density.

Such things surely did happen in battle, but less than you might think. There is a great deal of infrmation being passed through the file of pushing men that allows the system to be what we call "self-organized". Think of it as being able to "feel" that way the battle is going. You simply have to respond to cues given to you from the men you are in contact with and they system will appear well organized.

You wrote that often in reenactment the attacker was worse off than the defender. That tells me right away something is wrong since there can be no "attacker" in othismos, both forces must be at similar density. It is the equality of opponents that causes othismos.

Quote:Actually there is much difference between a "right-over-left" and a "left-over-right" overlap of shields. Although most reliefs we have suggest the first to be prominent, I think that this is the case only during march, for it facilitates movement.

See my other post, but this is something that I have been long arguing on here. There are in fact no images I know of that show hoplites in battle with their shield overlapped left over right. There are many images going back to the Chigi vase of hoplites marching with thier aspises edge on. Look at them again and you'll see this is the case, one telling feature is that weapons sometimes appear between shields in a manner that would be impossible if they overlapped. I am very pleased to find my self verified.

Quote:So, how did they disengage? A command? I am sure that in that concert you are referring to people also wanted to disengage but the mass didn't (mostly because the pressure is not applied to all equally, but to only certain unlucky individuals). I cannot imagine your model working like that, for it would demand a simultaneous decisions by both sides.

This is an easy one if you think about it. How did the crowd at the concert disperse? As the concert came to an end people at the perifery (rear rankers) turned and left. Because the barrier (or phalanx) is only in one direction, unpacking backwards is easy. Actually the force is applied pretty evenly to the ranks near the front,it is near the back where it tends to unravel because those men are not packed as tight and are pushing more like you do in stances that maximize force, but eliminate transfer.

Quote:Should one side recoil, the other one would only be motivated to push harder, for the enemy would be giving in. Once engaged as your model suggests, it is, to my opinion, not possible to disengage, since any such attempt would encourage the other side.

At the peak of pressure both phalanxes are essentially one entity. There surely were periodic tightening and loosening of the densities even with no net movement of the battleline. The assumption above is that one side wants to rest and the other wants to attack, this could occur, but many wrestlers or boxers pull apart by what appears to be mutual consent because they are both similarly fatigued. By the way, there are elements of my othismos that have to happen and those that could have happened. Such lulls are in the "could have" category, perhaps they fought continously until one side simply broke.

Quote:Of course there was individual pushing by troops fighting in irregular formations. They tried to hack at their enemies and his shieldwalls stood in the way... But nowhere in this text is a mass or even by unit push described. Only individual efforts of some warriors to push the shield of the enemy aside and open a gap to hack at him, a battle between ordered troops and irregular barbarians. To withstand the first onslaught, Romans (and many others) , tightened their first three ranks (as Arrian orders in his Ektaxis kat' Alanon) to receive a charge at run. Btw, what do you mean by "less dense formation"? I guess you mean the barbarian density?

Yes, and something like this must have been how greeks fought before othismos evolved from it.

Quote:This could end up pushing the enemy line a hundred yards in a matter of minutes (btw, the image only shows 1-3 ranks of Spartans at doratismos. Did you intend to direct me to another image?).

Look again. Those men are belly to back in othismos, the front ranks shield to shield. Their aspises are held so that they protect the diaphragm. Note that they can fight quite well in the "V" created by overlapped shields (Right over left) because they use their weapons overhand. It is a myth that you cannot fight in othismos. If you want to try an interesting test, tie two of your hoplites together shield to shield, face to face, and let them try to kill eachother. In my experience this can be quite vicious, but if the men are even cloe in strength, then will simply bind eachother up. Head-butting is optional.

Quote:Cohesion is not about files but ranks. Hoplites would strive to keep a line, so a forward march of one step would drive the enemy back and not break the line. After that another step... should the enemy get too packed to efficiently withstand pressure, they would try to advance 2 steps and so on. A line that is not in a receive pressure stance will see its rear ranks being shoven off and to the ground as you suggested, before they would get back to line, another push would bring down more men, since the depth of the formation now would be even more shallow. In a matter of minutes, a line which is not trained to withstand such a push will crumble and no disadvantage would come to the pushing line, nor should there be any opposition for this drill to work.

All you will achieve is to pack both phalanxes tighter if they are at all equally balanced. Then you will be in my othismos. There is no such thing as "too packed to withstand pressure" the difference between your and my phalanx is that you have the major push at the front and the rear ranks useless. I have the major push at the rear and all of the ranks adding force- you lose.

Quote:Why do you think that pushing in segments is difficult, complex or less effective than doing the same thing for a sustained time? It would allow for the line to assume pressure exerting and withstanding stance and maintain it too.

I don't think its more difficult, I know it is more weak. It is in fact what the othismos evolved out of and superceded.

Quote:Oh.. you should do some reenacting...Most people do it to see themselves dressed up in front of a mirror, but to those who wish to evaluate certain details about warfare, it is an invaluable experience.

Sadly, it has been my experience that all too often reenactment is so inauthentic, no one is getting killed, groups sizes are minimal, that it can produce some very bad habits. It something like comparing modern sport epee with actual period fencing. That said I am a big advocate of reenactment, it tells us vary much, we just have to be able to filter reality fromthe result.

Quote:Of course you do... the question was about how would the pusher know it and stop his shoving... According to the "crowd" effect, the first ranks of the attacking line would just lose their balance and fall down. But I already posed this question above

Why doesn't the promachoi simply fall forward, pushing as hard as he can against no pressure, when his foe wothdraws? be cause there are cues from the foe that he is disengaging that tell the promachoi to stop pusing and start stabbing. The second rank man gets the same cues form the promachoi, and so on down the line.

Quote:Why "almost immediately" if you are Spartan? I am not aware of any such references. And, if you are suggesting it needs some preparation to be employed en mass, then there should be a command given, shouldn't there?

We see in a number cases men either break prior to contact or immediately after. Usually this involves Spartans. It is possible that this was due to sheer terror of lakedaimonians, but though my ancestors were terrible to face, I'd like to think there was a more functional reason. One possibility is that by marching slow, in cadence, and close order, Spartans could minimize the time it took for ranks to form up dense, giving them a jump on other armies if they moved quickly to othismos. Thus Argives might be making a rational calculation that they cannot close ranks up fast enough to counter the spartans before they would already find themselves being pushed back.

Quote:In this image, you can see my fears as I have experienced in reenactments of uncontrolled pushing.

Things like this are important, because we often see things in battle which look like they are being done by "mutual consent". They are really done out of enlightened self-interest. The hoplite phalanx was so rigidly linear for reasons liek this. I have often been asked about men moving forward into the gap created by a foe you've killed. You have shown why it is not a good idea. The same goes for attempting to move into small gaps or for the tip of a wedge (which I do not think a hoplite tactic, though some do).

All in all an excellent discussion George, glad to meet you Big Grin

Quote:Yet, it is interesting that most reliefs and paintings present the opposite overlap, isn't it? Were is this discussion btw?

On overlap

<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26646&start=20">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26646&start=20<!-- l

<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19290&start=0">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19290&start=0<!-- l

historical depths

<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26338">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26338<!-- l

shields

<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17414">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17414<!-- l

<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5574&start=80">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5574&start=80<!-- l

<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21762&start=40">viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21762&start=40<!-- l

Quote:Sorry? As I have already related, Arrian does indeed use the words Dekadarch, Dimoirites and two Dekastateroi (Arrian Anabasis VII.23).

Please copy me the passage in latinised Greek where Arrian mentions more than the decurion: you evidently have it.

Quote:
Quote:The weight of attack will be borne by the front three saris-bearing ranks. The Persians - armed in traditional fashion - are simply fillers who will loose javellins and arrows and lend weight to the front sarisa bearers.
Again, this is assumption on your part, for Arrian does not say this at all !!

This is quite silly.

It is a logical deduction based on the passage. Please explain to me just what it is you think Persians armed in their "traditional fashion" ("some were archers, while others had javelins furnished with straps") are going to do in this phalanx. Perhaps they were to act as Polybios describes the other eleven file members acting by waving their bows and thonged javelins above the pahalanx? Perhaps sing marching tunes in Farsi?