RomanArmyTalk
The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Greek Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? (/showthread.php?tid=14759)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - Paralus - 04-17-2009

Quote:
Quote:At Mantinea (Thuc V.66 ff), we are told that the armies were already on the move in the final advance to contact …I would agree all units were most likely in close order. What is your point?

One of your main assertions for the existence of an opened order stage is that they had to advance in opened order due to the difficulty you perceive in moving in close order. Here at Mantinea they are obviously advancing the whole way in close order. There is no way that the phalanxes veered perhaps as much as hundreds of meters to the right in the course of a final 100 meter advance. From the description there is no reason to expect that they formed up in opened order, stood like that for a while, then doubled into close order. They formed directly from column into close order files and did not double down further. Then they simply advanced. Occam is surely on my side now.

Believe I noted this exact scenario back a page or so in this thread. I further believe it was dismissed - nice to see Paul bardunias and I are on the "same page" so to speak. Clearly the Spartans - confronted with an army in battle order and in advance of its former position (that is on the field and ready for "contact") - formed up "quickly" in battle order and just as ready for contact. They were, according to Thucydides, eight deep.... mostly - as he notes.

There has been an "epiphany" of sorts here...

Quote:I'm afraid that passage of Thucydides (V.66 onward) is not as revelationary as you might think. At the stage of the battle Thucydides is describing the armies 'drawn up', unit by unit. Under my hypothesis, the troops would be in 'normal'/open order, with 6 ft frontage per man. .."

Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - PMBardunias - 04-17-2009

Quote:nice to see Paul bardunias and I are on the "same page" so to speak. Clearly the Spartans - confronted with an army in battle order and in advance of its former position

And agreed about Spartans no less! It is like some fairy tale where our shared antagonism of Paul M-S has brought us to accord. And you thought your arguement was having no effect Paul :wink:

Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - Paralus - 05-23-2009

Interestingly whilst re-reading the accounts of Gaugamela – especially the Vulgate – I came across Diodorus’ description of the actions of the Macedonian phalanx as the engagement began. This is little different to Curtius though he omits the banging on shields routine.

Alexander (17.57.6) issues instructions to deal with the scythe chariots:

Quote:Against the threat of the scythed chariots, he ordered the infantry of the phalanx to join shields as soon as these went into action against them and to beat the shields with their spears […] if they persevered, to open gaps in the ranks such that they might ride through harmlessly.

[ho basileus parêngeile tois en têi phalangi pezois, hotan plêsiazêi ta tethrippa, sunaspisai kai tais sarisais tas aspidas tuptein]

As the battle is underway the chariots charge the Macedonian lines and the phalangites, as ordered, form into synaspismos (phalangos sunaspizousês) and duly beat their shields with their sarisae (tais sarisais pantôn tuptontôn tas aspides). The results are mixed but largely in their favour. After this, for those chariots that continue, the phalangites do indeed open their ranks and allow the chariots through.

This, on the theory supposed in this thread, makes for much movement of ranks or, should I say, half and “quarter” files. On that theory the phalanx advances to within striking distance and then the rear eight rush up into pyknosis (eight deep) so as to be “closed up for action”. This former rear eight – obedient to the king’s orders – split down by fours and rush forward so as to form synaspismos and bang sarisae on shield. This done – and many chariots turned – each second four then rushes back to the rear and then each second eight rush back to form “open order” so as to enable the phalanx to perform the action of “opening up” so as to allow the chariots through.

One imagines the sprinting of thousands of fully armed Usain Bolts – carrying sarisae – demonstrating the precision timing of the chorus line of 42nd Street.

Curtius (4.15.14-15) adds the detail of the Macedonian formation resembling a ramparts:

Quote:[…] the chariots had now charged the phalanx, and the Macedonians received the charge with a firm resolve, permitting them to penetrate to the middle of the column.Their formation resembled a rampart; after creating an unbroken line of spears, they stabbed the flanks of the horses from both sides as they charged recklessly ahead.

I would guess – given this is accurate – that the movement of these armed Usain Bolts must have resembled so many thousands of Rubic’s Cubes in constant motion!

Note also the consistent description of the phalangite shield as aspide. Clealry to Diodorus (and the others of our sources) a shield is an aspide is a shield.

Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - Giannis K. Hoplite - 05-24-2009

Irrelevant to the phalanx depth,i just note that Diodorus' word for the skythed chariots is "tethrippon" which just means four horsed chariot.
Quote:Note also the consistent description of the phalangite shield as aspide. Clealry to Diodorus (and the others of our sources) a shield is an aspide is a shield.
Yes,it never meant something more than just shield. The word is unchanged till today. So we are lucky that they Greeks adopted a foreign name for the pelte because at different periods we know whate they are talking about(even if this word meant again just "shield" in the original language). We're not that lucky with hoplitical shield because there was no specific name about them,although some times they are called "Argolic".
Khairete
Giannis

Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - Paralus - 05-24-2009

Quote: Irrelevant to the phalanx depth,i just note that Diodorus' word for the skythed chariots is "tethrippon" which just means four horsed chariot.

Yes: I too noticed that and it gives one an idea of the “gap” the phalangites had to accord the chariots.

Quote:
Quote:Note also the consistent description of the phalangite shield as aspide. Clealry to Diodorus (and the others of our sources) a shield is an aspide is a shield.
Yes,it never meant something more than just shield.

Hence the rediciculous modern reduction of hypaspists to bearers of aspides only. It is far more likely that these were the king’s shield bearers when he was on foot: exactly the job performed by Peucestas (and others) in India. Little - if anything - to do with the thoroughly modern fixation on size means all.

Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - Giannis K. Hoplite - 05-24-2009

In fact,hypaspist is an earlier word that meant "servant", the one who carries your shield untill you're about to fight. They were not a unit. It s more likely that the macedonian hypaspist took their name from their service under the king himself than from the usage of any particular kind of shield. For one,the hypaspist were a unit trained to fight in different ways.
Khaire
Giannis

Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - Paralus - 05-24-2009

Absolutely. "Local" kings had their "hypaspists" prior to Philip II as is attested in the literary sources. The notion that these are definitely "hoplite" aspis carriers is a nonsense. It would appear that, under Philip II and Alexander III, these troops (pezhetairoi under Philip) as the guard corps of dominant Macedonian kings, became the hypaspists of the time.

Hypaspist would appear - as you say - to be a traditional nomencalture.

Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - Paullus Scipio - 05-25-2009

Quote: In fact,hypaspist is an earlier word that meant "servant", the one who carries your shield untill you're about to fight. They were not a unit. It s more likely that the macedonian hypaspist took their name from their service under the king himself than from the usage of any particular kind of shield. For one,the hypaspist were a unit trained to fight in different ways.
Khaire
Giannis
Quote:Absolutely. "Local" kings had their "hypaspists" prior to Philip II as is attested in the literary sources. The notion that these are definitely "hoplite" aspis carriers is a nonsense. It would appear that, under Philip II and Alexander III, these troops (pezhetairoi under Philip) as the guard corps of dominant Macedonian kings, became the hypaspists of the time.

...it seems you two have wandered off-topic and on to the nature of the "hypaspists" armament. 'Hypaspist' does indeed translate literally as 'aspis-bearer', or more generically as 'shield-bearer', but NOT 'servant'.Perhaps Paralus would care to specify where in literature guard units of "local Kings" (local to where?) are referred in literature as Hypaspists? I can think of only one off-hand - The 'King' of Paeonia had a 'Hypaspist' guard, contemporary with and clearly an imitation of Macedonian Hypaspists.

Furthermore, the nomenclature is hardly 'traditional' - the use of this name for Macedonian Guards cannot be traced before 350 BC, and it is possible they were raised and named around 356 BC.

Nor did 'Hypaspists' fight in "different" ways......what evidence suggests this, beyond the fact that, as an elite Guard unit, they were frequently chosen for special missions?

I think you would agree that the sculptural and painting evidence shows that before and during Philip and Alexander's reign, the 'Aspis' was definitely carried and used by some Macedonian troops ( e.g. the 'Alexander sarcophagus' , the Veria relief, the Aghios Athenasios frieze, various tomb paintings etc). Since there is ample evidence that the Phalanx was armed with the sarissa and a rimless 'pelta' c. 73 cm in diameter, which troops carried the larger ( c.95 cm) rimmed 'Aspis'?

There can, in reality, be only one probable candidate - the obvious one - the 'Aspis-Carriers'/Hypaspists. ( and please let us have no nonsense and red herrings about 'asthetaroi', since whoever they were, they were members of the sarissa and pelta armed Phalanx).

...and if a 'clincher' were needed, the shields found in the 'Philip' tomb ( probably that of Philip Arrhidaeus, Alexander's half-brother) were indeed 'aspides', and if a Macedonian King fought on foot, where else but among his body-guard, the Hypaspists?

This is really an old debate going back to Berve, Kromayer and Veith and Tarn etc. However the evidence and consensus ( see e.g. Markle) in recent years seems to be that the 'Hypasists' were just that - 'Aspis-carriers'.

P.S. If the tomb is that of Philip Arrhidaeus, then it is further evidence ( along with depictions of the Aspis on Macedonian coins) that Macedonian troops continued to use the Aspis after Alexander's death, as you would expect....hence I believe the former Hypaspists, renamed 'Argyraspides' continued to carry it.. Smile D

Re: The Makedonian phalanx -- why such depth? - Paralus - 05-25-2009

Quote:
Quote:Absolutely. "Local" kings had their "hypaspists" prior to Philip II as is attested in the literary sources. The notion that these are definitely "hoplite" aspis carriers is a nonsense. It would appear that, under Philip II and Alexander III, these troops (pezhetairoi under Philip) as the guard corps of dominant Macedonian kings, became the hypaspists of the time.

Perhaps Paralus would care to specify where in literature guard units of "local Kings" (local to where?) are referred in literature as Hypaspists? I can think of only one off-hand - The 'King' of Paeonia had a 'Hypaspist' guard, contemporary with and clearly an imitation of Macedonian Hypaspists.

My, my… we are sounding dogmatic this morning. I hope it is not as a result of the shocking weather up your way (that you are in communication indicates your survival – without damage one is to hope). Perhaps you had testosterone rather than sugar in your coffee this morning!!??

Some of us have to work and I do promise a response – considered – in time. As you well know I am a little busy writing up something else for you which I am yet to get started.

I would note my use of the two descriptives: “definitely” and “would appear”. If you are alleging that Philip’s pezhetairoi are “definitely” aspis carriers, then I disagree. It is not definite.

I also do not see that the Paeonian “hypaspists” are “clearly an imitation” of Philip’s foot guard. But, that is for later. Meantime it might be worth pondering why Philip’s hypaspists were originally termed pezheatairoi and not hypaspists.

Quote: Nor did 'Hypaspists' fight in "different" ways......what evidence suggests this, beyond the fact that, as an elite Guard unit, they were frequently chosen for special missions?

I would suggest that indicates a certain “flexibility” and the ability to adopt different martial techniques.

Quote: I think you would agree that the sculptural and painting evidence shows that before and during Philip and Alexander's reign, the 'Aspis' was definitely carried and used by some Macedonian troops ( e.g. the 'Alexander sarcophagus' , the Veria relief, the Aghios Athenasios frieze, various tomb paintings etc). Since there is ample evidence that the Phalanx was armed with the sarissa and a rimless 'pelta' c. 73 cm in diameter, which troops carried the larger ( c.95 cm) rimmed 'Aspis'?

We have been over this, over several reds, and you know my views. I don’t say they are absolutely correct but too much can be made of such evidence at times.

Quote: There can, in reality, be only one probable candidate - the obvious one - the 'Aspis-Carriers'/Hypaspists. ( and please let us have no nonsense and red herrings about 'asthetaroi', since whoever they were, they were members of the sarissa and pelta armed Phalanx).

There’s the testosterones again!!

There is the possibility that the king’s Royal foot Guards - somatophylakes as Ptolemy evidently referred to them as on occasion – may be the aspis-armed troops about the king.

Paralus wrote:
Quote:My, my… we are sounding dogmatic this morning. I hope it is not as a result of the shocking weather up your way (that you are in communication indicates your survival – without damage one is to hope). Perhaps you had testosterone rather than sugar in your coffee this morning!!??

No No, not dogmatic at all….just a little peevish that an old ‘bete noire’ has raised it’s ugly head again……and no, I didn’t have an extra teaspoon of ‘testosterone' in my TEA this morning ( I seldom drink coffee) :lol: :lol:

Quote:I would note my use of the two descriptives: “definitely” and “would appear”. If you are alleging that Philip’s pezhetairoi are “definitely” aspis carriers, then I disagree. It is not definite.
No, just more probable than not – one can seldom be ‘definite’ about anything in ancient history of course. You will note that I use descriptives similar to your own …’seems to be’ ‘probable candidate’ etc Smile

Quote:I would suggest that indicates a certain “flexibility” and the ability to adopt different martial techniques.
Certainly, but I could never understand the logic of why that made them somehow differently equipped – on most of those ‘special missions’ elements of the sarissaphoroi/Phalanx went along too, and as most scholars seem to now accept, when such a force is described as ‘light armed’ it means that the bulk of the force are light troops, even though elements of the ‘heavies’ such as the Hypaspists or Phalanx are present, or else it refers to them foregoing sarissa – battlefield weapon only – for their traditional longche.

Quote:There is the possibility that the king’s Royal foot Guards - somatophylakes as Ptolemy evidently referred to them as on occasion – may be the aspis-armed troops about the king.

If this is a serious suggestion, then I guess you are grasping at straws! Since I know you have had a debate concerning somatophylakes elsewhere, like Alexander at Gaugemala, I’m not going to fight on your pre-prepared ground, :wink: so I’m not going there save that the term is usually used of a group of 7 or 8 inner Bodyguards to Alexander ( save once when Diodorus refers to 50 pages as somatophylakes, probably an incorrect usage)

Quote:
Quote:There is the possibility that the king’s Royal foot Guards - somatophylakes as Ptolemy evidently referred to them as on occasion – may be the aspis-armed troops about the king.

If this is a serious suggestion, then I guess you are grasping at straws!

Not at all my good man, not at all. If I am grasping at anything it would be your suggestion that the original group from whom the hypaspists were "desceded" were aspis-carrying noblity ("townies" if I recall) that attended the king. Just something else to think about.

And it is clear that Ptolemy did refer to the Royal hypaspists as somatophylakes on more than one occasion. This is when Arrian does not refer to them as hetairoi. Diodorus also calls them somatophylakes at Philip's murder (as well as doryphoroi). Just as clearly they are a distinct unit of the hypaspist corps and scions of the nobility.

Paralus wrote:
Quote:Not at all my good man, not at all. If I am grasping at anything it would be your suggestion that the original group from whom the hypaspists were "desceded" were aspis-carrying noblity ("townies" if I recall) that attended the king. Just something else to think about.

And it is clear that Ptolemy did refer to the Royal hypaspists as somatophylakes on more than one occasion. This is when Arrian does not refer to them as hetairoi. Diodorus also calls them somatophylakes at Philip's murder (as well as doryphoroi). Just as clearly they are a distinct unit of the hypaspist corps and scions of the nobility.

I'm not sure I suggested that the Hypaspists were "descended' from 'townies' at all! Rather, that Hoplites were known in Macedonia and had been part of the army in an earlier era, and that they likely came from among the cities of Greek colonists, or less likely, that they were Greek mercenaries......

Like I said, I'm not going to be drawn into a debate about somatophylakes......at least not at present!! :wink: :wink:

.....getting back on-topic, and away from guards units....

Paralus wrote:
Quote:As the battle is underway the chariots charge the Macedonian lines and the phalangites, as ordered, form into synaspismos (phalangos sunaspizousês) and duly beat their shields with their sarisae (tais sarisais pantôn tuptontôn tas aspides). The results are mixed but largely in their favour. After this, for those chariots that continue, the phalangites do indeed open their ranks and allow the chariots through.

This, on the theory supposed in this thread, makes for much movement of ranks or, should I say, half and “quarter” files. On that theory the phalanx advances to within striking distance and then the rear eight rush up into pyknosis (eight deep) so as to be “closed up for action”. This former rear eight – obedient to the king’s orders – split down by fours and rush forward so as to form synaspismos and bang sarisae on shield. This done – and many chariots turned – each second four then rushes back to the rear and then each second eight rush back to form “open order” so as to enable the phalanx to perform the action of “opening up” so as to allow the chariots through.
One imagines the sprinting of thousands of fully armed Usain Bolts – carrying sarisae – demonstrating the precision timing of the chorus line of 42nd Street

We have here an attempt to ridicule, rather than reason, but if we take away the hyperbole of terms such ‘rush forward’ and ‘rushes back’ ‘Usain Bolts’ etc, the first part is inherently probable – that the Phalanx began in ‘open/normal’ order sixteen deep, then closed to ‘close order’ eight deep as it advanced, and finally formed ‘locked shields’ four deep.

However it must be plain to anyone that they didn’t reform ‘open’ order to let the chariots through since a four-horse chariot is rather wider than the three foot gap between soldiers in ‘open’ order !!

In fact, our sources describe something rather different. Arrian says they were largely countered by the Agrianes and Thracian javelin-men who formed the usual light infantry screen ahead of the Phalanx, but that a few got through, to no effect, because the Phalanx had orders to “break formation” to create gaps through which they passed harmlessly, to be dealt with by the army’s grooms etc

Curtius has the chariots charge successfully against the light infantry (IV.15.4) and has them “in scattered flight”, then later (IV.15.14) has them charge upon the Phalanx, as Paralus describes….

Quote:Curtius (4.15.14-15) adds the detail of the Macedonian formation resembling a ramparts:
[…] the chariots had now charged the phalanx, and the Macedonians received the charge with a firm resolve, permitting them to penetrate to the middle of the column..Their formation resembled a rampart; after creating an unbroken line of spears, they stabbed the flanks of the horses from both sides as they charged recklessly ahead.

I would guess – given this is accurate – that the movement of these armed Usain Bolts must have resembled so many thousands of Rubic’s Cubes in constant motion!
Curtius then goes into gory detail of the scythes lopping limbs etc

Diodorus (XVII.58.2) has the phalanx in synaspismos beat their shields with their sarissae as ordered previously (XVII.57.6) and the horses duly shy away, some crashing into their own ranks. The Phalanx opens "wide gaps" and the chariots are channelled through these, to be killed in the rear by javelins, but like Curtius he goes into gory hyperbole of severed heads and limbs.

These accounts can be reconciled somewhat. I believe that the Phalanx probably did get down to a four deep ‘synaspismos’, and since our sources speak of “breaking formation” and “wide gaps” – hence certainly not the normal drill movements - we can envisage the line ‘splitting’ in front and folding back each side of the split at right-angles to create a gap, perhaps some 10-20 yards wide, whenever a chariot broke through the light infantry screen. This would create a corridor lined each side for 5-10 yards by close-packed phalangites. The chariot horses would head for this as if drawn by a magnet, no matter what their drivers did, since horses will not generally run into ‘solid’ walls, especially when they are bristling with ‘sarissae’. Once the chariot had passed, it would be easy enough for the line to fold back – and this whole process would be a lot easier with a line just four deep, rather than sixteen or even eight deep….

I also prefer Arrian’s account with no casualties to the hyperbole of Curtius and Diodorus, since even with spears sticking out the front, the horses would have had to impale themselves before the scythes could take effect, unless some unlucky light infantryman got side-swiped…..

Oh dear......

Quote:We have here an attempt to ridicule, rather than reason, but if we take away the hyperbole of terms such ‘rush forward’ and ‘rushes back’ ‘Usain Bolts’ etc, the first part is inherently probable – that the Phalanx began in ‘open/normal’ order sixteen deep, then closed to ‘close order’ eight deep as it advanced, and finally formed ‘locked shields’ four deep.

However it must be plain to anyone that they didn’t reform ‘open’ order to let the chariots through since a four-horse chariot is rather wider than the three foot gap between soldiers in ‘open’ order !!

I didn't have you pegged as a singularly humourless, personality-free zone “Old Man”. Be that as is may…

If you are going to take a sarisa to my logic you need – at the very least – to follow your own logic as expressed, constantly, on this thread. To whit:

Quote:It is my belief ( for reasons too complex to explain in a brief post) that Greek authors always described depths in 'open' order - 6 feet per man frontage ( which the authors of the Hellenistic manuals call 'normal' order, hence having no special name.) It was this 'open/normal' order in which the Phalanx, pike or spear armed, carried out battlefield manoeuvres .

It is patently clear – as I have related – that to perform these manoeuvres the phalanx cannot be “closed up” (3’ per man) but must be in “open order”. Files (funnily enough, just like Stone portrayed them) stepping to each side and creating the "alley". Therefore the Usain Bolts – armed – have performed 42nd Street in chorus line timing.

Quote:In fact, our sources describe something rather different. Arrian says they were largely countered by the Agrianes and Thracian javelin-men who formed the usual light infantry screen ahead of the Phalanx.

This is, I'm afraid, plain wrong. No source has the Agrianes as a "screen ahead of the Phalanx" (Curtius has them as cavary coming to Alexander's aid!!). I'm afraid you've misread the accounts of the battle. Ditto the "Thracian javelin men".

Quote:These accounts can be reconciled somewhat. I believe that the Phalanx probably did get down to a four deep ‘synaspismos’, and since our sources speak of “breaking formation” and “wide gaps” – hence certainly not the normal drill movements - we can envisage the line ‘splitting’ in front and folding back each side of the split at right-angles to create a gap, perhaps some 10-20 yards wide, whenever a chariot broke through the light infantry screen. This would create a corridor lined each side for 5-10 yards by close-packed phalangites.

This is interesting. Care to explain how this functioned? A phalanx in synaspismos ‘splitting’ in front and folding back each side of the split at right-angles to create a gap? And “ramparts” in a four deep formation?? The description of the action in the Vulgate does not give the Macedonians the Kinks' "Lazy Sunday Afternoon" in which to execute this 'not quite' parade ground drill.

You are disappearing up your own fundamental here….

It is not I who am "disappearing up my own fundamental " here. :roll:

Arrian (III.14)
"Meantime the Persians launched their scythe-bearing chariots against Alexander himself, for the purpose of throwing his phalanx into confusion; but in this they were grievously deceived. For as soon as they approached, the Agrianians and the javelin-men with Balacrus, who had been posted in front of the Companions ( it is not clear here whether "Hetaroi" refers to the Mounted "Companions" or the "Pez-hetaroi/Foot-Companions" but the context would appear to be the latter;( they are launched against the Phalanx); the Agrianes and Balacrus' Thracian javelin-men are clearly light Infantry, referred to elsewhere as well), hurled their javelins at some of the horses; others they seized by the reins and pulled the drivers off, and standing round the horses killed them. Yet some got right through the ranks; for the men stood apart and opened their ranks, as they had been instructed, in the places where the chariots assaulted them. In this way it generally happened that the chariots passed through safely, and the men by whom they were driven were uninjured. But these also were afterwards overpowered by the grooms of Alexander’s army ...."
Note that the scythed chariots are launched against the Phalanx, and that they are opposed initially by the light Infantry screen.

Instead of criticising others, perhaps you would be good enough to offer up another interpretation of what occurred.......I note you have ignored the questions I posed earlier....as has been said in another thread, "Enough with the Negativity..." :lol: :lol: