RomanArmyTalk
Celtic Boar standard - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Celtic Boar standard (/showthread.php?tid=15097)

Pages: 1 2

Celtic Boar standard - Folkert van Wijk - 05-05-2009

Last year in the summer I started working on a wooden boar figurine that ultimatly would make for a Celtic Boar standard.
The whole thing is beginning to get it's final shape, and I have just about desided how to finnish it.
I think the crest is going to be goldplated just as the rope pattern around the platform.
The rest of the beast, I think I leave wood but then darker stained with dark bees-wax or something...
just as the mount for the pole. The platform will represend a Celtic shield that is going to be red with a spine that would also be gold...

I think it would be good to have something desent to counterpart all these shiny roman eagles that are "flying" around... :wink:
With this link [url:18znevpm]http://www.kelticos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=632[/url] jou can see the whole prosses of it's construction...

cheers!

Re: Celtic Boar standard - jvrjenivs - 05-05-2009

Wow, Folkert, you really did an awesome job! I´ve to admit I like this one more as I like the Aquila of Corbvlo. Smile
Hope to see it up close on some event. Laudes!

Re: Celtic Boar standard - M. Demetrius - 05-05-2009

Confusedhock:
Quote:I´ve to admit I like this one more as I like the Aquila of Corbvlo.
Psssst! Hey, Praetorians, Vigiles--keep an eye on this guy...he's getting "those" tendencies.... :wink: :| lol:

Re: Celtic Boar standard - Gaius Julius Caesar - 05-05-2009

That is definately excellent work! An amphora of the finest Roman wine for this man!! 8)

Re: Celtic Boar standard - Marcus Mummius - 05-05-2009

very nice work!

I'd love to have a wooden aquila sculpted. I wish I had the woodworking skills to do that.

Re: Celtic Boar standard - Peroni - 05-06-2009

Beautiful work Folkert! I wish I had just half your amount of carving skill!

Re: Celtic Boar standard - M. Demetrius - 05-06-2009

Yes, it surely is good work. And the idea of layering three planks to make the belly carving/leg separation is very clever. Consider that idea stolen!

It will be good to see how it looks finished. And of course, we know that more than one Roman legion used the boar as a mascot.

Re: Celtic Boar standard - Folkert van Wijk - 05-06-2009

Thanks guys for the compliments and the laudes, Ill keep you updated.

And thanks for the wine Byron, Ill hope you don't mind I drink it undiluted?

Re: Celtic Boar standard - Gaius Julius Caesar - 05-07-2009

Quote:Thanks guys for the compliments and the laudes, Ill keep you updated.

And thanks for the wine Byron, Ill hope you don't mind I drink it undiluted?

Typical :roll: you can take the barbarian out of the woods, but you can't take the woods out of the barbarian!! Tongue

Re: Celtic Boar standard - M. Demetrius - 05-07-2009

Here's a laud + for your really good work, Folkert.

Re: Celtic Boar standard - Folkert van Wijk - 06-26-2009

Yes it's finished!!
It has come a long way but finally here it is...

[Image: 12Aboarfinnished.jpg]

Its complete now with the wood stained, burnished and waxed.
Some parts are painted red with little black decorations: A "running dog" pattern and a triskel in the same style as the pattern...
And off course the shiny parts are gold leaf. It has been a whole lot of fiddling with the ultra thin gold but it's worth the effort... (I hope *rolleyes* )

Oh uh and his eyes are made of Red sponge coral. This is one of the view types of coral that are legal to trade and do have the right collor other then the now very expencive antique blood coral...

For a more extended explenation and more photo's, please take a look here. [url:wbkblwxe]http://www.kelticos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=632[/url]

[Image: 12Bboarfinnishedcloseup.jpg]

Cheers!

Re: Celtic Boar standard - jvrjenivs - 06-26-2009

Awesome Folkert. Hope to see it up close sometime soon!

Re: Celtic Boar standard - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 06-26-2009

Confusedhock:

Congratulatiosn, it's a very nice work, and gives too a very realistic and convincent looking. When we make real objects it's easier, because we only have to copy them. But you have made not only a recreation of what a celtic standard colud have be made; You have made an object of art, because is your creation, and it's very beauty. Often we have seen so many things hypotethical made but without any credibility. Yours have 100% of credibility.

Probably if roman, the boar were painted... But i like more that nice contrast between wood, gold and coral.

Best regards...

Re: Celtic Boar standard - Justin of the New Yorkii - 06-26-2009

Excellent work Folkert. I'm a bit of a woodworker myself, and that is a masterpiece!

Re: Celtic Boar standard - Titvs Statilivs Castvs - 06-26-2009

Fantastic work, lovely standard you made there! Big Grin