RomanArmyTalk
Legio XI parma - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Legio XI parma (/showthread.php?tid=15152)

Pages: 1 2 3

Legio XI parma - M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER - 05-16-2009

I am happy to present the new parma of our legion, now complete with a cast reconstruction of the 1st c. CE umbo. The theme of the parma is the battle of Actium, in which Legio XI took part. The images on the parma celebrate the naval victory - hence the Neptune (drawn after the mosaic in the baths in Ostia) and the Victorii rising from the ships (after the imagery on the coins of Augustus) and offering their crowns to Jupiter, symbolized by the Eagle holding the fulmen. The umbo itself, a Personification of Africa wearing an elephant cape, in this context emphasizes the conquest of Egypt/Cleopatra in the battle.

Our most talented artist, Jennifer Cook, painted the parma and created the wax model for the umbo.

(please note that the images and the reconstruction are copyrighted and cannot be used or reproduced in any way without my express permission)

Re: Legio XI parma - arklore70 - 05-17-2009

Alex,
it looks awesome frater. Can't wait to see it up close and personal.

Re: Legio XI parma - caiusbeerquitius - 05-17-2009

Hi! Looks nice! Are you sure the umbo is 1st c.? Where is the Original from, resp. where is it published? Thx, Christian

Re: Legio XI parma - jvrjenivs - 05-17-2009

A wonderfull umbo and painting.

Re: Legio XI parma - Aurelianus - 05-17-2009

I would say this umbo is from middle to late second century. Isn't it?
Great cast and painting work!

Re: Legio XI parma - M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER - 05-17-2009

This is the description:

ROMAN BRONZE SHIELD BOSS: THE HEAD OF AFRICA, PERSONIFIED

Wearing an elephant skin cap.
Inscribed: COH I GAE FRVNTONI CVMVNI, "First Cohort of Gaetulorum."

(This cohort was raised in Africa and was based in Syria from 88 to 91 AD)

Ex John Kluge collection, Charlottesville, Virginia.

Late 1st Century AD

Diam. 8 1/4 in. (20.9 cm.)

Re: Legio XI parma - Aurelianus - 05-17-2009

Where was it found? That would help to determine the time frame.

To me the "umbo" looks rather late second / early third c entury. Usually these items are to be found in the context of cavalry. It is still under discussion, whether they actually are umbos or horse pectorals. The first Cohort of Gaetulans existed quite a while, since it is also mentioned in the CNH. Nonetheless a very nice reproduction. Smile

Re: Legio XI parma - Folkert van Wijk - 05-17-2009

This looks amazing the umbo is realy cool, and the painting also is very good.
Is it posible to see pictures of the painting from (very) upclose so I(we) can see the technique (brush strokes) a little??

Re: Legio XI parma - M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER - 05-17-2009

Here - http://www.artfact.com/auction-lot/a-ro ... ah7s7ri0hc - there is a reference to the publication of the artifact:
C.C. Vermeule and J.M. Eisenberg, Catalogue of the Greek, Etruscan, and Roman Bronzes in the Collection of John Kluge, New York and Boston, 1992, no. 88-50.

It says that "According to Vermeule and Eisenberg (op. cit.), the First Cohort of Gaetulorum "was raised in Africa and was based in Syria from 88 to 91 A.D. The Gaetuli or Getuli were a people of northwestern Africa, south of the Mauri and Numidiae, in the area of modern Morocco. They were conquered in Early Imperial times by Cn. Cornelius Cossus Lentulus, who thereafter bore the surname Gaetulicus. By the reign of Titus Flavius Domitianus (81 to 96 A.D.), they had been enrolled as loyal soldier-allies of Rome.""

So it may be that the umbo was found in Syria, hence its dating. I cannot say if it was since, unfortunately, I could not get access to the publication. I will be very obliged to anyone who can provide the scans of the pages from the catalogue.

I will post some close ups of the parma as requested later.

I orde3red it through ILL, I´ll let you know once I have it.

Re: Legio XI parma - Gaius Julius Caesar - 05-17-2009

I've see nimages of that umbo somewhere...it's going to bug meforever now... :roll:

Re: Legio XI parma - M. Demetrius - 05-17-2009

That has to be right at the top of the list of Most Beautiful Shields in the Reenactor World. Buy that artist lady a Ruth's Chris steak and give her laudes.

Re: Legio XI parma - Peroni - 05-18-2009

Very nice indeed - I have been looking forward to seeing this!

Quote:(please note that the images and the reconstruction are copyrighted and cannot be used or reproduced in any way without my express permission)

You may have difficulty stopping anyone else making their own reconstruction of the shield boss, as the original boss is probably not copyrighted at all Alex. The images are in the public domain and have been for some time now :wink: .

Ala Flavia Gaetulorum were certainly in Syria, but I will have to double-check on the infantry cohorts.

There is an inscription from North Africa..

Belegstelle: CIL 08, 07039 (p 1848) = ILAlg-02-01, 00665 = D 01437
Provinz: Numidia Ort: Constantine / Cirta
M(arco) Claudio Q(uinti) f(ilio) / Quir(ina) Restituto / proc(uratori) Aug(usti) dioece/seos regionis Ha/drumentinae et The/vestinae et ludi / Matutini et ad pu/tandas rationes / Syriae civitatium / trib(uno) leg(ionis) VII Gemi/nae praef(ecto) coh(ortis) I / Gaetulorum / [3]LE[3]R Aug(usti) lib(ertus) tabul(arius) / d(ecreto) d(ecurionum)

Re: Legio XI parma - Agesander - 05-18-2009

Actually, HIS images are copyright as is the reconstruction, even under international copyright laws according to Berne Convention
for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works. The original is not under copyright, and others can recreate their own umbo, but they cannot duplicate the reconstruction or the painting on the parma without the artist's express permission without it constituting infringement and legal action.

I looked it up last night...

Hi Y'all, I'm new here! :mrgreen: