RomanArmyTalk
Glued Linen Armour- a simple test - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Greek Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Glued Linen Armour- a simple test (/showthread.php?tid=15287)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Re: Glued Linen Armour- a simple test - rocktupac - 10-13-2009

Quote:
Giannis K. Hoplite:wr3yeri0 Wrote:Nothing to do with armour,but glued linen was used to make masks for theater. It has been suggested that it was Connolly again that introduced this theory,but in greece there is a long tradition in some places for making masks used in traditional ceremonies with armoured men wearing masks made of glued linen. The tradition has its roots in paganism.
I don't think it might be very relevant to armour though.
Probably not relavent to glued linen either. A case can be made that linen was never used to make these masks at all. They are just as likely to have been a type of "papier mache"

Sure, both are nice theories. Could be either.

Re: Glued Linen Armour- a simple test - PMBardunias - 10-13-2009

Is there a reason that you did not try pitch or rosin as an adhesive? I've always wondered about some more exotic adhesives they had like Mastic, a gum.

Quote:
rocktupac:1cyo9qg9 Wrote:Again, I simply wanted to point out that while many artists will show incredible detail on certain items, such as the interior of a shield, and then leave the surface of armor (of the type IV variety) smooth or without detail such as quilting. And this is true for many artists. If detail is shown on one piece of military equipment (i.e. a shield interior), why not show detail on something else (i.e. the quilting on type IV armor)? If any quilting had actually been visible one would imagine more artists would have drawn it as such.(6.4.2).
So why can't some of these Type IV's be made of leather or hide - perhaps the ones that don't show stitching?

Some of them could, but we have an extremely little amount of evidence which suggests that they might be. Jarva states that the Type IV could be little other than the linen armor the ancient authors refer to ('Archaiologia on Archaic Greek Body Armor' 40).

Quote:None are unequivocal, or even good, evidence for the use of linen armour by classical Greek Hoplites.

I am not attempting to prove, or even hinting at, that the classical Greek hoplites wore it. No where do I even come close to saying this.

Quote:One or two are in fact erroneous - Herodotus 1.135 for example makes no reference to linen whatsoever, but simply says that Persians "wear the Egyptian corselet", which is more likely a reference to the scale corselets of the Persians that Herodotus refers to elsewhere.

I added that it "possibly" referred to linen corselets. I have read the passage and am full aware of what it says. Though Herodotus does not specify the composition of this body armor, this passage has often been interpreted as referring to the linen corselet. On this interpretation, see, for example, Francis, E. D., and Michael Vickers (1984) “Amasis and Lindos,” Bulletin of the Institute of Classical Studies of the University of London 31, 119-130.

Quote:Alcaeus and Homer are references to the mythical past of the Trojan War,

Did they not believe the Trojan War story to be true, and therefore the arms and armor just as real?

Quote:...my point here is that you chose a 1 cm thick number of layers on the basis that this was 'arrow/weapon proof', but that the Greek armourers, like most, constantly strove for lightness etc and that if a piece stopped 75-90% of strikes, that was considered good, and if a new technique or material allowed increased protection at the old thickness, the armourers promptly thinned it, going for lightness rather than increased protection. This is most evident in the evolution of helmets, and possibly, shields.
I understand very well the reasons you chose arrows as your 'yardstick', and have no quibble with that. Can I ask again what energy levels of weapon you were testing your armour against? Obviously, how closely you can replicate ancient contemporary weapons is a key factor in tests of this kind. Were ancient arrow forms ( reed with foreshaft) and heads ( tanged, and trilobate) used, for example, not to mention bows of the appropriate power, or were you limited by availability to modern-type weapons, whose characteristics are of course very different.....

We came to the conclusion that at least a 1 cm thick corselet was enough to stop an arrow that was likely to be encountered on an ancient battlefield. We did not decide on 1 cm then carry out the testing. I understand what armorers or soldiers had in mind when creating or choosing their armor.

We tested with three different bows: 25 pounds, 45 pounds, and 60 pounds. We fired each arrowhead from each bow at about 5 patches with differing characteristics (on average) from 25', 50', and 100'. Our arrowheads were a mix of bronze and iron, they were hand-forged and cast, but all were hand-sharpened and were modeled after actual various finds from the Archaic and Classical eras found in Greece and Persia. They were quite varied in shape, weight, and design. The shafts were reed and the fletchings were goose feathers.

Re: Glued Linen Armour- a simple test - Matt Lukes - 10-13-2009

Quote:
Matt Lukes:1xh5oyev Wrote:Cool that you've participated in some testing too Scott Big Grin I'm curious though- did you not encounter the same problem I did with the natural glues? Whether they work or not in ideal form I wouldn't have thought to be terribly significant if there is such seemingly fundamental flaw of protein glues as water solubility. Further to that, was the example you found wearing wasn't uncomfortable, etc., the PVA version or one of the natural glue pieces? And if it was one of the latter, was sweat not a problem afterall?

The glues themselves may be water soluble, and we were worried about this when our initial arrow tests, but when we tested separate patches for their ability to hold together during a simulated rain we were quite surprised with the results. It seems that when a patch of laminated linen, whether glued with rabbit glue, flaxseed glue, or PVA glue (and yes, I realize PVA isn't relevant and there is nothing about it that compares to the ancient world--it was only used in any of the testing for curiosity alone), was completely drenched in an artificial rain and allowed to dry it would retain its bond between the layers. We even experimented around with natural waterproofing agents, although none of the sources name any (again we did this out of curiosity). We used beeswax rubbed on and melted on, lanolin spread on, pitch melted on, a mix of vinegar and salt, and olive oil spread on. They all compared very well and safeguarded the laminated linen patches against degradation from water.

That's surprising considering what happened in my test with real rain. As the very first post states, I got delamination pretty quickly. And my trial with linseed oil provided nearly no protection- not enough to save the sample and only a bit more with beeswax. But then I did leave my test pieces in the rain for I think it was 15 or 20 minutes (I have to re-read that first post), so it was continually exposed to water and humidity the whole time. My patches weren't large- only about 50 cm2, so I now wonder if there's reason to expect water entering the edges would penetrate more- I hadn't considered controlling for that. Still, having worked a good deal with hide glue now, and of course understanding its molecular nature, I certainly know it absorbs water quite quickly, so I'm still surprised that your protein glues didn't. Rabbit glue I thought was actually a somewhat weaker than good bovine, which is what I have, but it's still largely the same collagen-type proteinaceous fiber adhesive so shouldn't behave much differently with respect to solubility- admittedly I've never heard of flax seed glue before, so have no idea about its behavior.

Not to belabor the issue, but since it's central to what I thought was a fatal flaw, just what do you mean by 'thoroughly soaked and allowed to dry'? How long was your sample exposed to the 'rain'? I would expect you checked it before it dried to see if it had absorbed any water since certainly if the glue dries again, it'll be rigid once more- right?

Quote:The armor that we wore was made from PVA glue. Sweat was not a problem, including the time under the hot sun (which I experienced firsthand). I was running, bending down repeatedly, and jumping at times and found the armor to be completely comfortable and maneuverable.

Oh of course, PVA changes as it dries so wouldn't be affected by sweat- I only wondered if it happened to be the protein glue type that I'd suspected might be rather nasty when sweated in.

Re: Glued Linen Armour- a simple test - MeinPanzer - 10-13-2009

Quote:The references:
Alcaeus (2.19); Cassius Dio (78.7.1-2); 'Chronicle of Lindos' (29, lines 36-39); Cornelius Nepos 'Iphicrates' (1.3-4); Herodotus (2.182; 3.47; possibly 1.135); Homer 'Iliad' (2.529; 2.830); Livy (4.20.1-7; 9.40.3); Pausanias (1.8; 1.21.9; 6.19.7); Pliny 'Natural History' (19.2); Plutarch 'Alexander' (32); Silius Italicus 'Punica' (4.223; 9.586-598); Strabo 'Geography' (3.3.6; 13.1.10); Suetonius (19.1); Xenophon 'Anabasis' (4.7.16; 7.63); Xenophon 'Cyropaedia' (6.4.2).

OK, only 23 individual references and not "two dozen" as I stated earlier, but close enough (24 if you include the reference from Herodotus (1.135) that the linen armor originated in Egypt).

Our work has not been published yet. We hope to have this done very soon, though. In January we will be presenting once again at the annual meeting of the APA/AIA in Anaheim, CA (January 6-9).

You could round this list out to an even two dozen by adding Aeneas Tacticus 29.1-4 from earlier in this thread, which is perhaps the only unequivocally Greek mention of linen thorakes in the whole list.

By the way, I will likely be attending the APA/AIA meeting this year, so I hope to be able to attend your presentation and maybe make a little report to post here, if you wouldn't mind.

Re: Glued Linen Armour- a simple test - Paullus Scipio - 10-13-2009

...since everything else Aeneas lists are weapons/armour, the 'stolidia' referred to could well be a variation on 'Stole/spola' and hence a reference to leather Tube-and-yokes as Paul B. suggested earlier in this thread....much more useful to revolutionaries than lit: "diminutive of body covering" being translated as 'cloaks'. If you are going to translate this as cloaks, then one might as well translate 'thorakes lineous' as "linen garments" !! :lol: :lol:

Quote:That's surprising considering what happened in my test with real rain. As the very first post states, I got delamination pretty quickly. And my trial with linseed oil provided nearly no protection- not enough to save the sample and only a bit more with beeswax. But then I did leave my test pieces in the rain for I think it was 15 or 20 minutes (I have to re-read that first post), so it was continually exposed to water and humidity the whole time. My patches weren't large- only about 50 cm2, so I now wonder if there's reason to expect water entering the edges would penetrate more- I hadn't considered controlling for that. Still, having worked a good deal with hide glue now, and of course understanding its molecular nature, I certainly know it absorbs water quite quickly, so I'm still surprised that your protein glues didn't. Rabbit glue I thought was actually a somewhat weaker than good bovine, which is what I have, but it's still largely the same collagen-type proteinaceous fiber adhesive so shouldn't behave much differently with respect to solubility- admittedly I've never heard of flax seed glue before, so have no idea about its behavior.

Not to belabor the issue, but since it's central to what I thought was a fatal flaw, just what do you mean by 'thoroughly soaked and allowed to dry'? How long was your sample exposed to the 'rain'? I would expect you checked it before it dried to see if it had absorbed any water since certainly if the glue dries again, it'll be rigid once more- right?

Our test patches were 8" x 8" and left for a total of 10 hours in the 'rain' (which was a sprinkler head left on a medium drizzle). The patches were checked at 10 minute intervals for the first hour, then rechecked every hour for the remaining nine hours. The patches were completely soaked through by the rain (i.e. sopping wet to the core), and allowed to dry for an entire day out in the sun. The olive oil covered patch held up very well after a single application of oil. I even held the patch under a faucet of running water turned on high and very little penetrated, but this was a more unscientific test and the results were not documented thoroughly.

Quote:You could round this list out to an even two dozen by adding Aeneas Tacticus 29.1-4 from earlier in this thread, which is perhaps the only unequivocally Greek mention of linen thorakes in the whole list.

By the way, I will likely be attending the APA/AIA meeting this year, so I hope to be able to attend your presentation and maybe make a little report to post here, if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks, I was trying to think of that one. I knew I saw it on a post here.

Excellent if you can make it! Last year we presented our full paper and this year we will be doing the 'poster session' held on the first day of the convention (Thursday, January 6th). I am working on the poster right now actually and meet today with my partner on the project (Greg Aldrete) to discuss it. I hope to see you there! Let me know for sure if you are actually going to attend.

Quote:
Matt Lukes:3fz3bn4t Wrote:Not to belabor the issue, but since it's central to what I thought was a fatal flaw, just what do you mean by 'thoroughly soaked and allowed to dry'? How long was your sample exposed to the 'rain'? I would expect you checked it before it dried to see if it had absorbed any water since certainly if the glue dries again, it'll be rigid once more- right?

Our test patches were 8" x 8" and left for a total of 10 hours in the 'rain' (which was a sprinkler head left on a medium drizzle). The patches were checked at 10 minute intervals for the first hour, then rechecked every hour for the remaining nine hours. The patches were completely soaked through by the rain (i.e. sopping wet to the core), and allowed to dry for an entire day out in the sun. The olive oil covered patch held up very well after a single application of oil. I even held the patch under a faucet of running water turned on high and very little penetrated, but this was a more unscientific test and the results were not documented thoroughly.

Right, well certainly 10 hours is certainly sufficient time, but if the samples were indeed soaked through, then the glue should have been a gel at that point with little to no adhesive quality left- even a minor flex of the 'armour' should have shown delamination, not to mention the whole thing being gooey and unpleasant to touch on the surface (plus a great medium for mould, fungus and bacteria- being near a body, it'd grow some fun stuff to be sure). Did yours not? Of course once it dries again it's just as it was before it got wet (providing it's not flexed anywhere the layers could come apart), it's the when wet period that seems the troublesome time.

This is the point I considered the idea pretty much a failure since if even short exposures to rain in a warm environment, which Greece surely is, the glued 'armour' becomes a soft, sticky growth medium for microorganisms; one cloudburst and a hoplite would have to let his armor dry before it was of any use again, no? Adding oil or any other waterproofer adds another layer of complexity and then one has to consider how that might be when worn- armor sufficiently coated with olive oil would also have been nasty to wear I should think.

It's supposed to rain here for the next week, and although it's rather cool removing the heat element, I'm now interested in trying my experiment again to see if there's something I did so differently as to have had such differing results.

Quote:Right, well certainly 10 hours is certainly sufficient time, but if the samples were indeed soaked through, then the glue should have been a gel at that point with little to no adhesive quality left- even a minor flex of the 'armour' should have shown delamination, not to mention the whole thing being gooey and unpleasant to touch on the surface (plus a great medium for mould, fungus and bacteria- being near a body, it'd grow some fun stuff to be sure). Did yours not? Of course once it dries again it's just as it was before it got wet (providing it's not flexed anywhere the layers could come apart), it's the when wet period that seems the troublesome time.

The glue did not turn into a gel and retained a sufficient amount of, albeit slightly reduced, adhesive quality. We did bend our pieces once removed from the simulated rain and they remained together. I expected the layers to come completely apart due to the water solubility of the glues we used, but to my astonishment the patches held together. It was a great surprise. Also, our patches, once allowed to dry in the outdoor air and sunlight, did not grow mold or any other noticeable substance. We did run into a similar problem of mold growth during early experiments with rabbit glue, but we came to the conclusion that it was due to the setting of the gluing (a damp basement). We noticed no irreversible damage to the patches when exposed to a light amount of rain, therefore we believe that unprotected armor (i.e. armor without a type of waterproofing) could be exposed to a bit of rain and survive intact if allowed to dry. A full-scale battle in the rain or heavy exposure to water, as Alexander fought at the Hydaspes, could be completed with similar armor. Whether or not the armor would have survived after the battle is another thing: considering that Alexander did order the burning of the old armor almost immediately after the battle (Curt. 9.3.22), and also after a new shipment of armor had been received (Curt. 9.3.21; Diod. 17.95.4). This armor could have been ordered before the venture into India with the anticipation of heavy rains to come.

Quote:This is the point I considered the idea pretty much a failure since if even short exposures to rain in a warm environment, which Greece surely is, the glued 'armour' becomes a soft, sticky growth medium for microorganisms; one cloudburst and a hoplite would have to let his armor dry before it was of any use again, no? Adding oil or any other waterproofer adds another layer of complexity and then one has to consider how that might be when worn- armor sufficiently coated with olive oil would also have been nasty to wear I should think.

Again, my experiences show that even a moderate rain would not immediately breakdown or destroy a piece of armor made from rabbit glue. The pitch-covered patches would, admittedly, be difficult and rather unpleasant to wear as it is sticky and becomes gummy in relatively mild Mediterranean heat, or something comparable (around 80 degrees F). The beeswax, whether melted on or simply rubbed on, is far more comfortable and is a very good agent for waterproofing. I see no reason to object to an agent used on the interior, even if irritating, due to the undergarment worn as it appears on the vase paintings. This would prevent from any chafing or discomfort. Any of the patches I covered with olive oil were hardly different to the touch than untreated patches. The oil seems to absorb nicely into the fibers of the outer layer and acts very well as a water-deterrent. I do not see how this would be uncomfortable to the wearer, even if smeared on the interior of the armor.

Re: Glued Linen Armour- a simple test - Giannis K. Hoplite - 10-13-2009

How about stiffness-flexibility? Was the tube flexible in bending or stiff,and only the pteryges moving? Differences when wet? When dry,would the shoulder flaps remain straight before fastenning,like shown on the vases? As i understand it,you haven't buit complete thorakes with the natural glues,but what's your estimations?
Khaire
Giannis

I'm quite surprised Scott- I just don't see how thoroughly saturated protein glue could not be a gel and thus longer a functional adhesive- the two are mutually exclusive. Collagen will absorb a huge amount of water, and becomes basically 'Jell-O'- it's how I clean my glue pot: add an equal amount of additional water to any leftover glue present and it becomes an easily removed, rubbery mass in a relatively short period of time. If your experience was that the glue was still quite functional, it either couldn't have been saturated or something else is going on. With PVA I can understand, but not rabbit glue unless it's very different than bovine hide glue. Now I really want to try this all again to see if I missed something significant...

Quote:How about stiffness-flexibility? Was the tube flexible in bending or stiff,and only the pteryges moving? Differences when wet? When dry,would the shoulder flaps remain straight before fastenning,like shown on the vases? As i understand it,you haven't buit complete thorakes with the natural glues,but what's your estimations?
Khaire
Giannis

When dry, the material retains a fair amount of stiffness, but is easily bent to conform around the body or shoulders; the pteryges move freely as well, comparable to the movement seen on the 'Alexander Mosaic'. But these are not of the same thickness as the main body or shoulder pieces. I have always used between three and five laminated layers of linen to construct these, but they could just as well be made of cord (as in Xen. Anab. 4.7.16). When wet, the material is slightly more pliable but still has enough rigidity to stand upright.

From my personal experience with "natural glues" and laminating linen I would guess that they would most definitely stand upright as is shown on numerous vases. In fact there seems to be little difference between the outward appearance or characteristics (concerning stiffness and pliability, that is) of linen laminated with rabbit glue and PVA glue. They appear to behave and holdup about the same. Many of our patches made from both kinds of glue are close to two years old and have been repeatedly bend and shuffled around, yet they are still in great shape.

Quote:I'm quite surprised Scott- I just don't see how thoroughly saturated protein glue could not be a gel and no longer a functional adhesive- the two are mutually exclusive. Collagen will absorb a huge amount of water, and becomes basically 'Jell-O'- it's how I clean my glue pot: add the same amount of additional water as leftover glue present and it's a rubbery mass in a relatively short time. If your experience was that the glue was still quite functional, it either couldn't have been saturated or something else is going on. With PVA I can understand, but not rabbit glue unless it's very different than bovine hide glue. Now I really want to try this all again to see if I missed something significant...

I can understand your shock and any degree of skepticism you may have. I expected the layers to be peeling off one another but this simply didn't happen (after rereading the section in our article about waterproofing I found that we simulated the rain test for 12 hours and not the 10 I mentioned earlier). To go even further (and I didn't mention this earlier), we fully submerged the patches in buckets of water for three hours. All of the patches held their shape and only the untreated PVA patch and the lanolin-coated patch had the outer layer partially detached. Most interesting was how the various test patches dried. The untreated PVA and rabbit glue patches were completely dry after only 8 hours and, remarkably, recovered nearly all of their former integrity. The patch made of PVA glue, lost about half its outer layer, but once dry, the other 17 layers were still tightly bonded and showed few signs of their immersion. The loose flaps of the outer layer could be repaired very quickly with a few dabs of glue. The untreated patch made with rabbit glue survived even better. It too dried quickly and, once dry, it resumed its original rigidity and shape without even any edges having come loose.

I'm sorry to admit but I have no experience with bovine glue. Best of luck if you decide to replicate the tests with rabbit glue yourself. Let me know if I can help you out in any way.