RomanArmyTalk
Nijmegen pattern Caligae - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Nijmegen pattern Caligae (/showthread.php?tid=15381)

Pages: 1 2

Nijmegen pattern Caligae - Marcus Iulius Chattus - 06-28-2009

Today, the sutor of my group ask me for Cavalry-Caligae. I never heard from such a kind of Caligae :?: , but he tells me, that this shoes are much more enclosed as the standart-caligae and were found in Nijmegen. I can´t imagine how they look and never heard the term Cavalry-Caligae or from a special-kind of Caligae for the horse-troops!
Can anybody tell me were i can find some pics or, thats even better, some drawings?

Thanks in advance,
Marcus

Re: Nijmegen pattern Caligae - LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS - 06-28-2009

Well, a enclosed boot is not a calliga, its name probably were calceus.

There are some finds of such kind of boots (probably Martin Moser will post, so i will not extend more), but its aspect is more closer to a III century boot than a calliga.

Adrian Wink sells a model of such kind of boot, that i want link as reference:

http://www.armamentaria.com/store/index ... 8d3253944a

[Image: DSCF1633.JPG]

I don't know if were used by cavalry. infantry or both. But common sense make plausible that cavalrymen wants to get his feet more protected, because there are more exposed not only in combat. They work with horses, that can put their feet over yours, and you want to be more protected...

Re: Nijmegen pattern Caligae - Robert Vermaat - 06-28-2009

The Deurne shoe, one that I know for sure was worn by a cavalryman (albeit of the very early 4th c.), did not have hobnails. It would be interesting to know if this was because they did not walk as much as the infantry Big Grin of just a fashion thing.

Re: Nijmegen pattern Caligae - Marcus Iulius Chattus - 06-28-2009

@ Avitianus
I know that enclosed boots were called Calceus. My friend means no Calceii, but a enclosed kind of Caligae! The forepart of the shoes must look like that from Carbatinae and the rest like that of a standart Caligae.

Re: Nijmegen pattern Caligae - Peroni - 06-28-2009

Marcus,

Could he possibly mean the calcei of the Mainz type? There are a couple of depictions of cavalrymen wearing exactly this type of boot.

Hi Ade,
hmm, i didn´t know! But, yesterday i received a new Osprey-Battle Orders book, "The Roman Army of the Principate 27 BC-AD 117", and on page 23 my daughter found a pic of the Roman-Cavalry Manikin in the Cirencester Museum! This guy wear some enclosed boots that could be the mentioned Cavalry Caligae!

Re: Nijmegen pattern Caligae - Neuraleanus - 06-28-2009

Quote:Could he possibly mean the calcei of the Mainz type? There are a couple of depictions of cavalrymen wearing exactly this type of boot.
I have setup a page on this kind of boot:
[url:3iu9dl7w]http://www.legiotricesima.org/campusMartis/makingCalcei/makingcalcei.html[/url]

Nice page Neuraleanus Big Grin
No, i´m absolutely sure that Hartmut didn´t mean this kind of boot, because he tells me that he want to make the same boots for himself in next time. Maybe i should contact Martin Moser?

Re: Nijmegen pattern Caligae - Martin Moser - 06-28-2009

Hi Marcus,

Quote:Today, the sutor of my group ask me for Cavalry-Caligae. I never heard from such a kind of Caligae :?: , but he tells me, that this shoes are much more enclosed as the standart-caligae and were found in Nijmegen. I can´t imagine how they look and never heard the term Cavalry-Caligae or from a special-kind of Caligae for the horse-troops!

I personally never read about such a kind of caliga, not can I recall any find that would go in the direction of what you describe. Sorry, but at the moment I'm afraid I can't help you here.

Re: Nijmegen pattern Caligae - Marcus Iulius Chattus - 06-29-2009

Hi Martin,
i ask him for more details.

Okay, he tells me that some guys of Legio XI from Swiss wore them at Kalkriese. They reconstruct them after a find from Nijmegen OR a Original that might be shown in the Museum at Nijmegen........
And he tells me, that Alex Zimmermann of Legio VIII make such shoes (or some that look like them) for the Imperium Romanum exhibition.
I will contact my friends of Legio XI and ask for more info.

I´m so sorry folks, that this is so complicated :?

Re: Nijmegen pattern Caligae - Martin Moser - 06-29-2009

Quote:They reconstruct them after a find from Nijmegen OR a Original that might be shown in the Museum at Nijmegen........

That would be very interesting to see - is there a publication or at least a picture or something like that perhaps?

Quote:And he tells me, that Alex Zimmermann of Legio VIII make such shoes (or some that look like them) for the Imperium Romanum exhibition.
I will contact my friends of Legio XI and ask for more info.

Hm, I doubt that. I'm in Alex' group for many years now and was involved in our (small) part of that exhibition, but can't recall ever discussing a shoe like that. The replicas shown at Stuttgart (Welzheim finds) were made by someone else but there was nothing like that among them.

Re: Nijmegen pattern Caligae - jvrjenivs - 06-29-2009

Also, I don't recall seeing such a shoe in the Nijmegen museum, which must have taken my interest.

:oops:
Hm, i contact Legio XI for more information and after that i kick Hartmuts a..s.......

Ha, Hartmut send me a pick of mentioned Caligae Big Grin . Maybe it brings some light in this thread.