RomanArmyTalk
The AD33 crucifixion detail in Judea - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The AD33 crucifixion detail in Judea (/showthread.php?tid=16100)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Re: The AD33 crucifixion detail in Judea - PhilusEstilius - 01-24-2012

Crispvs and Phil.

It truely was a special experience and it was my very great friend Riamondo Ruggieri in San Cataldo Sicily who asked me to bring my Toga so that I could take part.
I had to appear on stage along with all the others taking part in the trial, and believe it or not the man who takes one of the major parts is actually named Pilotto and I had to leave the stage with him as part of the act, then we return for the washing of the hands event.

The Sicilians realy do take this event most seriously in their way of life, and the whole ceremony goes on for a week. The event is staged at just about every town in Sicily and my friend Riamondo creates all the equipment and costume for it at San Cataldo in the province of Caltanicetta.
It was also of great interest to travel to all the churches at night as they carried all the church relics through the town, with what is called the slamming of the doors then finish at the last one where they all go to midnight mass.
Then at the very end of all the events it culminates with the Sicilian type fireworks display and that is just so Sicilian and fantastic.

Re: The AD33 crucifixion detail in Judea - jkaler48 - 01-24-2012

Nails were probably used with the feet being fastened to the each side of the upright
as demonstrated by archeological evidence of a period crucified victim.

There was probably a "STANDARD" crucifixion method as noted by Josephus when talking about the exceptional ones that took place during the siege of Jerusalem.

Men woman and even children were subject to crucifixion.

[attachment=2680]index.jpg[/attachment]

Re: The AD33 crucifixion detail in Judea - Charlie - 01-24-2012

What a fabulous experience Brian!
I believe the maltese also put on a special event (Good Friday parade) that has some wonderful costumes worn by so many individuals and reenacting groups.

Re: The AD33 crucifixion detail in Judea - Charlie - 01-24-2012

Here are some photos I am posting on behalf of Brian from his envolvement in the San Cataldo event La Pasqua, that he mentioned in an earlier post.
Brian you make a great Senator!

Phil.

Thank you so much for your kind comments and also your help showing the pic's, I decided when in re-enacting that an old Senator was just the part for me.
For even though I was a military man for 22 years there are not so many Roman soldiers my age now. I maention this in regard to another topic on age in re-enacting however I would say to any young guy around his prime of 50 to go for it man.

Re: The AD33 crucifixion detail in Judea - M. Demetrius - 01-24-2012

Great photos! Brian, excellent boots. Good impression.

Thank you David for the kind comment on the boots they don't have any studs in them and even now they are just like wearing a pair of carprt slippers.

Re: The AD33 crucifixion detail in Judea - M. Demetrius - 01-24-2012

Where did you get them, Brian?

I made them David in fact it must be almost 17 years ago for those, but also over the years I have made a few pairs of boots and loads of caligae.

Re: The AD33 crucifixion detail in Judea - starman2012 - 07-08-2012

Quote:One did not need to nail a victim to a cross, using ropes was also sufficient,

Sure but archeologists found an example of a jew crucified with nails dating to the first century (a young man from a wealthy family c 70 CE).

Quote:... the Governor has authorized the crucifixion of three condemned.

Assuming you mean the two thieves too, that may not be historically accurate. To impress potential jewish converts, the gospel writers invented certain things to make it appear events in the life of christ "fulfilled prophecy." Some psalm --22 IIRC--said the suffering one was "surrounded by evildoers" and "they cast lots for my clothing." Ergo, the two thieves nearby and Roman soldiers casting lots to get christ's clothes--hardly plausible; who needs those sweaty, bloodstained rags?

Re: The AD33 crucifixion detail in Judea - D B Campbell - 07-08-2012

Quote:Sure but archeologists found an example of a jew crucified with nails ...
Specifically, an ankle bone, nailed through from side to side. (I think perhaps the associated blood loss might have been part of the crucifixion process.)

Re: The AD33 crucifixion detail in Judea - Nathan Ross - 07-08-2012

Quote:
Vortigern Studies post=255287 Wrote:One did not need to nail a victim to a cross, using ropes was also sufficient,

Sure but archeologists found an example of a jew crucified with nails dating to the first century (a young man from a wealthy family c 70 CE).
Heliodorus, in Aethiopica, mentions that criminals in Egypt were crucified by tying rather than nailing to the cross. The implication is that this was an Egyptian practice, and that nails were used elsewhere.

Quote:When the spear was thrust into Christ's side, blood and "water" flowed out. The lungs were also filling with tissue fluid, and a form of 'auto-drowning' was also a contributary factor in eventual death.

Dunno if the spear thrust is historically accurate. Strange that the synoptics don't mention it. Of the four canonical gospels, the gospel of john is considered the least historically reliable.

Re: The AD33 crucifixion detail in Judea - M. Demetrius - 07-08-2012

Quote:To impress potential jewish converts, the gospel writers invented certain things to make it appear events in the life of christ "fulfilled prophecy."
Quote:Assuming you mean the two thieves too, that may not be historically accurate.
Or, it could be that it is factual as written, yes?

BTW, we don't know if it was AD33. Jesus' crucifixion was sometime around that time, since he was born probably in about 7BC, and started his ministry when he was "about 30", and preached for roughly 3 years. Reasonable to think the time might be from 26 to 35 or so.

That the Romans didn't write about it is unremarkable. As far as they were concerned, it was just another in a long series of executions, and not noteworthy in particular. Later, as the illegality of the original charges, arrest, trial and incarceration came out, Pilatus may have had serious misgivings. We don't know that, either. He may not have worried about it.

Quote:Dunno if the spear thrust is historically accurate.
Why would you say that? Can we pick a historical text apart in that way and remain intellectually honest? Is there other historical evidence to cast doubt on the soldier's using his hasta/lancea to make sure the executed was dead? On that, it seems clear enough that he would have known what angle to set his spear to pass through a lung into the heart, thus ensuring death, even if the victim were simply unconscious, don't you agree?