RomanArmyTalk
Don\'t get my pug started... - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Don\'t get my pug started... (/showthread.php?tid=16262)

Pages: 1 2

Don\'t get my pug started... - ParthianBow - 01-02-2010

Funny! :lol:
http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2007 ... ted-p1.php

Re: Don\'t get my pug started... - Doc - 01-03-2010

I thought people were psychotic. I guess I was wrong.

Nice Post

Re: Don\'t get my pug started... - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 01-08-2010

Hahahahahaha BRILLIANT !!

M.VIB.M.

Re: Don\'t get my pug started... - PhilusEstilius - 01-08-2010

I found the dog funny but hey man what a real cool cat.

Re: Don\'t get my pug started... - caiusbeerquitius - 01-08-2010

It´s a bit sad, actually, and not funny at all. It is one of the pugs that are so overbred that it doesn´t get enough air when breathing. You can see the tongue hanging out of his mouth, since it still is fitting a longer snout.This pug will die a slow and painful death between 8 and 12 years of age, slowly suffocating on his own tongue and gum. That´s why it is making so weird noises when barking. in the 19th century pugs looked like this:
[Image: qualzucht_mops_1900.jpg]
Nowadays, at least in Germany, breeders tend to have pugs with longer noses again, to have a more healthy and happy animal, which in turn make the owner happier - pugs can very well get 20 years or older, when healthy, and their character makes it certainly more than worthwhile having them around...
Her you can see "Doctor", our younger pug (long-nose breed, or as they also say retro-breed) serve me as a pillow on a Maremma beach in Italy last fall. And "Brutus", our older pug, running through the snow in Augsburg yesterday. Both are healthy and happy, and able to bark like a real dog. Just a bit less loud...^^ and often at things a "normal" dog wouldn´t bark at... ^^

Re: Don\'t get my pug started... - P. Clodius Secundus - 01-08-2010

Meet Augustus our pug/beagle mix, or "puggle". Aside from the straight tail and thinner body he looks like the 19th Century pug you showed. In composition and disposition he is very beagle.

Re: Don\'t get my pug started... - caiusbeerquitius - 01-08-2010

You should offer him a pug lady Wink

Re: Don\'t get my pug started... - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 01-09-2010

Where have the days gone that we had overbred slaves which could not breathe properly and always were such a laugh at our parties in Pompeii... :twisted:

M.VIB.M.

PS Christian what a lovely photo of you and the doggie and the bottle of wine!!

Very good point, Christian - ParthianBow - 01-09-2010

You're 110% correct, Christian. What many dog breeders have done, by inbreeding for appearance only, has caused the most horrendous health problems in almost every breed known. Some are a lot worse than others, and the Pug is one. Others are the English Bulldog, the French Bulldog, the Pekingese etc. etc. etc. It's one of the biggest welfare problems in the dog and cat world, in my opinion. As a veterinarian, I find it utterly morally repulsive that people can do such things, and it's only by outbreeding now IMO (opening the breeds to other breeds) that some breeds will survive. Their genetic pools are so tiny - for example, in the UK, although there are 10,000 French Bulldogs, the genetic pool is equivalent to just fifty (50!) because they have been so inbred. In other words, as a top geneticist said in the TV programme below, the breeds will die out in the next 100 years or so, in their current state.
It's wonderful to hear that German breeders are doing something about the Pug there.
Check out this article about a fantastic BBC TV programme, broadcast in Aug 2008, which exposed the true story about many breeds. I was shouting in agreement at the TV while it was on :evil: :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8404169.stm

Re: Don\'t get my pug started... - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 01-10-2010

True, i also agree that a lot of dog "races" are not natural at all and frankly animal abuse...

But sadly law makers do not see this as such, so ridiculous expensive and genetically modified dogs stay for sale..

M.VIB.M.

Re: Don\'t get my pug started... - caiusbeerquitius - 04-08-2010

Anyone seen these Mastino Napoletano pics alread?

WOW
[Image: Mastino_Napoletano_2.jpg]
[Image: Mastino_Napoletano_1.jpg]

Re: Don\'t get my pug started... - Gaius Julius Caesar - 04-08-2010

HOLY SH**!!!!! Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

Imagine that thing coming down the garden path at you! :?

Re: Don\'t get my pug started... - caiusbeerquitius - 04-08-2010

...wet underwear?

Re: Don\'t get my pug started... - Praefectusclassis - 04-08-2010

Holy cow Superman!

Re: Don\'t get my pug started... - Gaius Julius Caesar - 04-08-2010

Noneon the web are anyhere near that big! :o
Some look to be related to chinese wrinkle dogs..... :o