RomanArmyTalk
RAT Community upgrades - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: RAT Community upgrades (/showthread.php?tid=16681)

Pages: 1 2

RAT Community upgrades - Praefectusclassis - 04-02-2010

Hi all,
As some might have deduced from my question about Facebook, I'm looking at improving and modernising RAT again. There had been great plans for v3 for years, which never really came to fruition due to the rather hasty way in which v2 was replaced by v3. Time to revive those plans, and ask for your input as well. What'd you like to see from a modern online community? Think big, think wide, think varied and don't hold back!

Re: RAT Community upgrades - Praefectusclassis - 04-06-2010

Wow. This is what you might call thunderous silence. I guess it'll be up to me to decide what's good for the community. - Benevolent dictator mode: ON.

Re: RAT Community upgrades - Jona Lendering - 04-06-2010

What would I like to see?

Content:
Finish Ritterling.

Debate:
Better access to sources, which means integrating RAT with other sites (e.g., Perseus, LacusCurtius). The problem is that these sites cannot guarantee that information will remain at the same URL; compare linking to museums.
The same applies to references to encyclopedaic articles (e.g., Livius).

The Forum itself:
Laudes and decorations are incredibly stimulating to remain nice.
The search function might be better visible.
A way to make lists (with bullets).
Spell Cow.

Meta-criticism:
Ancient military history is one aspect of ancient history. Somehow, there needs to be more interest for history in general. I do not know how.

Re: RAT Community upgrades - jvrjenivs - 04-06-2010

don't know if it had much profit, but I would also like to have the shop back online (probably with new artwork, if possible???)

Re: RAT Community upgrades - caiusbeerquitius - 04-06-2010

I think broader profile options would be cool, maybe even personal blogs, personal galleries etc.
A chat would be cool as well, methinks :-) )
And how about an archive, where members can upload sources / texts etc.? This could then also implement the helmet databases etc.?

RAT Community upgrades - ParthianBow - 04-06-2010

All of the above, plus a more accurate search engine.
The site is excellent in general, and IMHO, needs nothing to do with the likes of Facebook, which is a waste of time.

Quote:IMHO, needs nothing to do with the likes of Facebook, which is a waste of time.
The members of the dozens of Roman related sites on FB would probably beg to differ. :wink:

Re: RAT Community upgrades - Graham Sumner - 04-06-2010

I would like to be able to send my camera photographs to RAT as attachments which I can do with email, without the need of asking someone else to reduce them for me or the embarrassment of requiring a tutorial on how to do so! Plus as I am an atrocious speller I really do miss the cow which actually corrects things and doesn't ' just let me know I spelt it wrong!

Graham.

Re: RAT Community upgrades - D B Campbell - 04-06-2010

Everything Jona said. (Perhaps if people have time, they might even update Ritterling, too?)

Hi Graham
There's always going to be a size limit on photos uploaded to the forum. The reason is very simple: digital photos have increased enormously in size over the last years. A simple jpeg from even a phone camera is going to be hundreds of Kb, if not Mbs. Sadly, webspace is not unlimited. With 100s of active members, we'd run out of space pretty quickly if everyone just plonked their pictures on here.
To restrain image size, I highly recommend Ez Thumb, which, once set, can resize your images at the click of a button, after which they can be attached easily for posting on RAT.

Re: RAT Community upgrades - Praefectusclassis - 04-08-2010

I'm going to set up a private forum on this board for brain-storming about RAT v4. Those that have replied (and will reply) in this thread with useful comments will get access.

Curious?

Re: RAT Community upgrades - jvrjenivs - 04-08-2010

An improved 'reviews' section. Where you can search for keywords, author, title, isbn, etc, to look up if someone else put up an review already.

Re: RAT Community upgrades - Jona Lendering - 04-08-2010

A place where we can leave summaries of books or lectures, like this article.

Re: RAT Community upgrades - Praefectusclassis - 04-08-2010

A designated articles section, I suppose?

Re: RAT Community upgrades - ParthianBow - 04-08-2010

Quote:A designated articles section, I suppose?
Yes, that would be excellent.