RomanArmyTalk
Coffee anyone? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Coffee anyone? (/showthread.php?tid=16986)

Pages: 1 2

Coffee anyone? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-10-2010

Coffee anyone? Found this, quite funny if you arn't employed by BP.
Hope noone takes offense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AAa0gd7ClM

The link would have been helpful....

Re: Coffee anyone? - Robert Vermaat - 06-11-2010

That's just brilliant.

Re: Coffee anyone? - Narukami - 06-11-2010

Classic. Smile

Some one should take offense -- unfortunately, they do not frequent this site. :?

:wink:

Narukami

Re: Coffee anyone? - PhilusEstilius - 06-14-2010

Byron.

I think coming from an oil man you might like to go hide some where, he he

Re: Coffee anyone? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-17-2010

Naaa. unfortunately, sh*t happens. Just that when it happens in the oil industry, everyone suddenly takes notice of it.
No interest what so ever when they were getting cheap fuel to run around with, no interest when the industry was in a slump and
people were losing their jobs and homes, because the rest of the world was doing ok then.
So when they see the industry has had some good years, they like to pounce on us when things go wrong.

Re: Coffee anyone? - M. Demetrius - 06-17-2010

Saddest to me is that there is a lot more finger pointing to establish blame than actually letting many of those who could do some good to fix the problem get on with that. There are US Coast Guard oil suckers sitting idle in port. Various nations have offered expertise, but so far, no permits have been issued. Oh, well, what could a fat old Roman reenactor from Texas add to this conversation??

Should the manufacturer of the rig bear any of the blame, and not just the user of the platform? Meanwhile bureaucracy plods forward as surely as the oil flows.

Re: Coffee anyone? - Astiryu1 - 06-18-2010

I agree! I am trying to get out there to help clean up but so far no takers. I am on a waiting list for a crew but that will be a couple of weeks probably. If I do go I won't be able to get online as often but I might get a little money while doing something that has a purpose.

Re: Coffee anyone? - Titvs Statilivs Castvs - 06-18-2010

Quote:Hurry up, I think the public is getting suspicious!

Quote:
  • Throw it in the spill. (...) What happened?
  • Nothing.
  • You guys are f*cked.

:lol: :lol:

Re: Coffee anyone? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-18-2010

Yes, I agree Dave. Get the job done(and sadly, relief wells are probably the only thing tha twill work to stop the flow) and also allow those who know the job get it cleaned up, instead of political grand standing by both the media and politicians.

Re: Coffee anyone? - M. Demetrius - 06-18-2010

On the good side, my unemployed son in law has signed on with a crew who will work on the coastal clean up. He signed a six month contract and will gross 30K USD. Not bad, eh? Of course, the taxpayers are footing the bill, but at least he can get a little of it back for his own pocket. As already stated, no exact date for the startup.

Re: Coffee anyone? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-18-2010

I understood BP to be footing the bill for the cleanup?

Re: Coffee anyone? - M. Demetrius - 06-18-2010

I don't think anybody has enough money to pay ALL the cleanup. There's about 1200 miles of coastline in danger or already contaminated, huge dead zones from methane in the water, hundreds of millions of gallons of light crude floating, perhaps even escaping the Gulf and entering the Atlantic in a few days/weeks.

The things they're able to do now may be too little, too late, many say, so it's hard to know. Odds are, if things go worst case, BP will be bankrupted. Then what? How can they pay if they're impecunious?

Re: Coffee anyone? - Robert Vermaat - 06-18-2010

Quote:Odds are, if things go worst case, BP will be bankrupted. Then what? How can they pay if they're impecunious?
They're likely to be taken over by one of the other big companies (Exxon, Shell, Chevron) who then have to either pick up the bill or lose their US license.
Threathening BP to take that license is not very wise. If BP would lose it they'd be bankrupt, but even if not they'd stop the cleanup.

Re: Coffee anyone? - M. Demetrius - 06-19-2010

Quote:They're likely to be taken over by one of the other big companies
Maybe, but not many companies want to pick up that much negative equity. They might buy up the resources if the company goes belly up. I guess we can theorize, but more wisdom would be spent in waiting to see.

It's a big mess, and not getting much better, any way you look at it.

Re: Coffee anyone? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-19-2010

More or less what happened to Occidental in the UK after Piper Alpha.
They had their license revoked and their assets in the North Sea were bought up by Elf, nowTotal.