RomanArmyTalk
Squamata - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Squamata (/showthread.php?tid=17723)

Pages: 1 2

Squamata - jackmcauliffe - 10-22-2010

Basically, I have made my own steel scale squamata and as my interests turn to later periods, I wanted to make a copper/brass scale shirt. After starting the scales I decided it was too much work for me at this moment in time. Does anyone have any good suggestions where to buy a cheaper Squamata made of brass/bronze/copper for UNDER $400? I understand recruits ask this a lot but I could not sort any good information out.

Thanks!

Re: Squamata - Doc - 10-22-2010

Most of the squamata shirts are copper alloy not steel. Actually, I am not aware of any that are just steel. There are others on this forum that may know of steel versions.

Also, brass/bronze are not later versions. There are plently of examples from the 1st C AD that are copper alloy.

As far as getting a decent one for under $400, I know of no place.

Maybe you should take your $400, and save up some more and buy yourself one from Armamentaria. They are more expensive but affordable. You may want to check the Marketplace section of this forum and check the Armamentaria website to get an idea.

Custom work will cost more than $2000 easily.

Re: Squamata - jkaler48 - 10-22-2010

Yes the Armamentaria one is really nice (I like the tinned brass with the doubler) It is , I hear, A quality product.

Re: Squamata - jkaler48 - 10-22-2010

Sent original poster a PM.

Re: Squamata - jvrjenivs - 10-22-2010

I indeed second the former post. Having a DSC/Armamentaria squamata myself and having handled about 5 of them, I can tell you it's absolutely worth all the money and the best one you can get for that price.

Re: Squamata - M. Demetrius - 10-22-2010

"Good for under $400"
A wise man once pointed out that there are three factors in any job: price, quality, and delivery date, and that the customer can pick any two.

Re: Squamata - Theodosius the Great - 10-23-2010

Hi Jack,

I'm curious as to what construction method you're using to make your squamata shirt.
I documented my progress and posted a photo gallery here.

The total time it took me to make own shirt was about five weeks, six tops.
It's hard to say which stage took the longest. It was either the stitching or the wiring. I think the former took longer but I didn't mind it as much as the latter.

Drilling the holes was the easiest, quickest part. Once you have a jig you're ready to go at it with a drill press. But the plates had to be stacked just right because they're slightly dished.

Total cost : about $500. And that's because I had to have someone make the jig for me.

Overall I'm pleased with the result. I've never made anything as complicated as this, not that it's complicated to begin with. The tricky part was the shoulders. I have since redesigned them (see the attachment). I deliberately choose the most generic pattern for my shirt so it would be plausible for many time periods.

I would encourage you to keep at it because you won't find a shirt for under $400. And even if you do I doubt it will be to your liking. See if there's anyway you can improve your construction method to lessen the workload.

Good luck,
~Theo

Re: Squamata - markusaurelius - 10-25-2010

Is there a place where you can just buy the raw scales? Perhaps putting the shirt together yourself?

Re: Squamata - jvrjenivs - 10-25-2010

[url:qwcrhws2]http://www.armae.com/Zenglish/supplies/supplies_frame.htm[/url]

I'm sure that all vendors who have DSC products, also can supply you with their scales.

Re: Squamata - Theodosius the Great - 10-26-2010

Quote:Is there a place where you can just buy the raw scales? Perhaps putting the shirt together yourself?

What do you mean exactly by "raw" ? Do you merely mean loose scales with pre-drilled holes ?

I used blank, brass dogtags for $0.24 each (USD) from a US source.

The tags had one hole drilled into them.

~Theo

Re: Squamata - markusaurelius - 10-26-2010

Ya I guess I meant, scales that had already been dished and drilled. Purchasing those in a bunch would save a lot of time. Assembling them after would not take as long I would figure..

Does anyone have a "pattern" whereby one can use the loose scales to make a shirt? Kind of like a knitting pattern....

Re: Squamata - Theodosius the Great - 10-26-2010

In that case I think Jurjen provided the best advice. Whoever distributes DSC products may be able to procure loose scales.
Deepeeka used to sell them but it looks like they've discontinued their scale production.

A couple of North American companies that deal with DSC are Imperium Ancient Armory and Kult of Athena.

As for a pattern I used a regular t-shirt. Though I don't know what kind of scale pattern you want for yourself. There are many
choices : simple pattern w/o doublings, pattern with extended shoulder covering, etc...

~Theo

Re: Squamata - Robert Vermaat - 10-27-2010

Quote:Ya I guess I meant, scales that had already been dished and drilled. Purchasing those in a bunch would save a lot of time. Assembling them after would not take as long I would figure.....
Armae still sells scales (Ecailles). Do we still get 10% discount with them as members of RAT?
http://www.armae.com/fournituresgeneral ... scadre.htm

Re: Squamata - jvrjenivs - 10-27-2010

Quote:
markusaurelius:23qb8rwv Wrote:Ya I guess I meant, scales that had already been dished and drilled. Purchasing those in a bunch would save a lot of time. Assembling them after would not take as long I would figure.....
Armae still sells scales (Ecailles). Do we still get 10% discount with them as members of RAT?
http://www.armae.com/fournituresgeneral ... scadre.htm

No, you don't get a 10% discount, but a 20% one you still get.

Re: Squamata - jackmcauliffe - 10-29-2010

OH wow I didnt realize anyone posted a responce here! Well, first off Deepeeka has NOT discontinued their scales. Where is everyone getting this information? LOOK HERE- http://www.deepeeka.com/armoury/documen ... cat=Scales however, they are priced at almost US $1 a scale!?! rediculous i think.

Brass dog tags you say? that is a great idea! does anyone know of a source for scale shaped brass peices? I can make them I just want to know where to get them, and for that price it seems quite the bargan

As for construction, I documented most of the making and ironically I have seen your pictures and based my pattern off of yours, thank you very much. The scales itself are innacurate because of the hole punched is too large but it is hidden under the other scales. I used scales from the Ring Lord ( it was the only place I could find at at decent price). I linked them together with wirein rows. then stiched them onto a linen vest. I will get pics of progress and finished product to show you guys at some point.

Thanks for the help!
Keep posting please