RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Sarmatian warrior impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Allies & Enemies of Rome (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Show here your Sarmatian warrior impression (/showthread.php?tid=18569)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Show here your Sarmatian warrior impression - Alanus - 05-08-2013

Dain II & Eduard,

Someone on RAT (perhaps John Conyard) "unofficially" wears a pair of "Hunnic" or "Roman" splint greaves on ocassian. They were depicted in the Osprey volume on "The Late Roman Cavalry." I have seen an EARLY and nearly exact example fashioned from bone in a Russian article, I believe from the Altai or Tuva. The pair in the Ashmolian Museum are Scythian... as in western.

As you have both noted-- the tradition and STYLE of construction runs straight, and we can see that it can be traced back to the bronze age. Smile

Hey! I think I'm right there, somewhere! :whistle:

Show here your Sarmatian warrior impression - Dain II. - 05-09-2013

Quote:As you have both noted-- the tradition and STYLE of construction runs straight, and we can see that it can be traced back to the bronze age.

I didn't. I can not see a tradition of this armourpiece before the 7th century in Europe or western Asia. Also the style of construction is different. Why to the bronze age?

Quote:I have seen an EARLY and nearly exact example fashioned from bone in a Russian article, I believe from the Altai or Tuva.

How early? Without an cultural context I would doubt it is usefull to span the gap. The first thing that came in mind when I read your post was armour from the Tschuktschen in the outest northeastern part of the Russian Federation and are conected to the arctic cultures.
In the following article from Kajiwara Hiroshi you can see at plate 3. an Tschuktschen-bonearmour with one greave: http://www.academia.edu/458822/On_lamellae_Lamellar_armor_from_a_Eurasian_viewpoint

As far as I remember John stated the splintgreaves, he was wearing on a photo, which I am still unable to find, together with an Antinoopolis-ridingcoat while jump with his horse, as only theoretical and labeld them as possibly hunnic. I will get me this osprey issue so I can see this depiction you mentioned.

kind regards

Show here your Sarmatian warrior impression - Alanus - 07-01-2013

To Dain II,

I'm not going to argue the point, but to me there is a continuity in not only splint greaves but also the actual cultures, straight from the far eastern/Siberian area in the Bronze Age right into Middle Age period in Eastern Europe (particularly Poland and Ukraine). The point is moot, perhaps, but it can only be accurately argued by professional anthropologists. I'm here on RAT as a reenactor, not in a professional capacity, and I'm too old to split hairs. Wink

Show here your Sarmatian warrior impression - Alanus - 07-01-2013

ONE MORE SARMATIAN! On another note, here is a photo of my grandson, Devyn Campbell, rigged as a late 1st century Sarmatian auxilliary in Legio III Cyrenaica. He's carrying a Grozer asymetrical Hun bow, and he's wearing a Late Sarmatian Type I sword.

The photo was taken at the May Day Parade in Kennebunk, Maine. That's commander Mike Heenan in the background. Confusedmile:

[attachment=7509]DevynCampbellage13.JPG[/attachment]

Show here your Sarmatian warrior impression - Robert Vermaat - 07-02-2013

He's looking great. Was he pleased?

Show here your Sarmatian warrior impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 07-02-2013

Quote:ONE MORE SARMATIAN! On another note, here is a photo of my grandson, Devyn Campbell, rigged as a late 1st century Sarmatian auxilliary in Legio III Cyrenaica. He's carrying a Grozer asymetrical Hun bow, and he's wearing a Late Sarmatian Type I sword.

The photo was taken at the May Day Parade in Kennebunk, Maine. That's commander Mike Heenan in the background. Confusedmile:

Looking good!

I was considering adding a link to the Grozer Hunnic Bow in my handbook, but I wasn't too sure of its accuracy. Can you tell me what you think about it? I know it's the right length (Asymmetrical and 130-160cm depending on which one you buy) and it appeared to be made of the proper materials (sinew, glue, wood strips, horn, etc).

Show here your Sarmatian warrior impression - Alanus - 07-08-2013

Quote:He's looking great. Was he pleased?

Hello, Robert

Oh, yes. This was the first time Devyn met several members of Legio III, and he had a good time.

To our resident Magister Militum,

Actually Devyn's bow is the Extra No. 2, which is made from modern materials. Mine is a true hornbow, the No. 3 Asymmetrical Hun. I have 3 bows made by Istvan Toth and 5 Grozer bows. For a symmetrical, I recommend the Grozer Magyar in the G series, or the Magyar hornbow. For an asymmetrical, either of the Grozer models are accurate. :-)

Be wary of hornbows backed with buffalo horn, and save up for one with steppe cattle horn (Hungarian gray cattle). I have had buffalo horn crack under normal use; and at the high price of these bows, it really hurts if the bow is beyond the one year warranty. :-x

Show here your Sarmatian warrior impression - Atawulf - 07-08-2013

I want to have a grandpa like you... So cool! Big Grin

Show here your Sarmatian warrior impression - Alanus - 07-14-2013

Quote:I want to have a grandpa like you... So cool! Big Grin

Sergio,

I'm a little over-the-hill for being "cool." :whistle:

Show here your Sarmatian warrior impression - Alanus - 05-04-2014

The Tacitus/Simonenko Influence :whistle:

Tacitus mentions Roxolani having difficulty getting back on their feet, once fallen, during the AD 68 battle with Legio III Galica on the frozen Ister. Was he accurate in his description?

To find out, I had new Sarmatian armor made for me by Lycia Lamellars. It's based on the style described by Simonenko-- a combination of lamellar, scale, and chainmail. Unfortunately, all archaeological remains of it found in the North Pontic area are dis-articulated... so nobody knows what it really looked like. My armor took over two months to arrive from Poland, obviously crossing the Baltic and Atlantic in an above-deck container. It arrived rusty; and the scale portion is not attached historically correct.

Well anyway, the complete impression, head to toe, weighs 75 pounds. Today, my grandson Devyn and I marched with Legio III Cyrenaica in the May Day Parade in Kennebunk, Maine. To test Tacitus' description, I found a patch of grass and dropped supine onto my back. Holy mackerel! I couldn't get back up until I rolled to my stomach and pushed myself up, then bringing one leg to a kneeling position. Not a quick and graceful feat. Tacitus was correct. A mounted horseman wearing cataphract armor could not get back to his feet easily after falling on ice.

I became a septigenarian a few years ago; but even if I were 30 years younger, I would have difficulty. Now, I'll start trimming away some of the armor's weight. Here's a photo of me wearing "over-kill." :dizzy:

[attachment=9757]DSC_0018.JPG[/attachment]

Show here your Sarmatian warrior impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 05-04-2014

Awesome photo! Love your kit. Smile

Thanks, Evan

But it's overly "cataphractish" and the bottoms of my feet were burning after walking the Kennebunk mile. I'm just impressed that Tacitus was correct. It wasn't pro-Roman anti-barbarian hype. Once down, you're down for at least a minute or longer. That's all it takes for a Roman to stab you with his little teeny-weeny shorty-sword.

What are those things called, anyway? :dizzy:

Show here your Sarmatian warrior impression - Michael Kerr - 05-04-2014

Alanus wrote:
Quote:What are those things called, anyway?

Roxolani toothpicks.
Regards
Michael Kerr

Quote:
Roxolani toothpicks.

Odd that you should say that. :lol:
In 19th century America, a large Bowie knife was often called an "Arkansas toothpick." Not really much shorter than a gladius. :dizzy:

Show here your Sarmatian warrior impression - Vindex - 05-04-2014

Interesting impression - the combination of lamellar and scale in the body looks quite convincing. May I ask about the "sleeves"? Looks like a bit of segmentata in there.