RomanArmyTalk
Interesting cheap steel musculata - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Interesting cheap steel musculata (/showthread.php?tid=19176)

Pages: 1 2

Interesting cheap steel musculata - Tarbicus - 07-18-2011

Is it just me, or IS THIS what you could safely consider as being "not crap"?

THIS seems to be a similar one in brass, but with different fasteners.

Better than this abomination, anyhow, which makes my eyes weep tears of blood on every viewing.

Re: Interesting cheap steel musculata - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 07-18-2011

The ones you posted look fairly ok to me, but indeed the one being often sold with the ridiculous six -and sevenpack should, just like the trooper helmet, be forbidden.

M.VIB.M.

Re: Interesting cheap steel musculata - Statius - 07-18-2011

Unfortunaly it's only to fit someone with a 40 inch chest which isn't the largest in the world especially with a submaralis under it.

Re: Interesting cheap steel musculata - Tarbicus - 07-18-2011

Here's what seems to be a brass version (tie loops) offered at thegreekwarriors.com, where it says:

Quote:This cuirass fits an average size person with a size 36 to 44 inch chest. There is some room to tighten or loosen thanks to the ring attachments
Includes a photo of it being worn.

(Bit pricey, though)

Re: Interesting cheap steel musculata - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 07-18-2011

Funny, that group does not even care to speak classical Greek during their parades....

M.VIB.M.

Re: Interesting cheap steel musculata - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-19-2011

Actually, that one with the ridiculous six-pack, which I have always mocked too, actually is based on an exisiting artifact!! Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

Re: Interesting cheap steel musculata - Tarbicus - 07-19-2011

Quote:Actually, that one with the ridiculous six-pack, which I have always mocked too, actually is based on an exisiting artifact!! Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

No way!! Confusedhock: Is Marvel Comics really that old?

I know I know..but I actually saw a photo posted somewhere from a museum collection or something and it was right there in front of my eyes! I thought...no way!

Re: Interesting cheap steel musculata - Gaius Colletti - 07-19-2011

Quote:Actually, that one with the ridiculous six-pack, which I have always mocked too, actually is based on an exisiting artifact!! Confusedhock: Confusedhock:

Lets reword your sentence "There actually was an a cuirass artifact with a ridiculous six-pack, and the replica ridiculous which was made with little historical context completely and coincidentally looks like it" lol

Sorry I couldn't help it, I once had one of those horrible overly muscular cuirass and the quality was crazy stupid

Re: Interesting cheap steel musculata - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 07-19-2011

Post photo, then we MIGHT believe you...

M.VIB.M.

Sure, if I ever find it again.....funny I forsaw this moment and failed to keep the link anyway...lol :lol: :roll:

Re: Interesting cheap steel musculata - Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-16-2011

Right Gents, look in the latest osprey title, Early /romans.

the image of the 'musculata' is in there.
I have no link off hand, but do have the book, which I might manage to scan, once office quiets
down a wee bit!

Re: Interesting cheap steel musculata - Lessa - 09-18-2011

Hi Gaius.
You mean the bone plaque from Praeneste?

Re: Interesting cheap steel musculata - Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-20-2011

No. Page 35 the slendid finds from the Lanuvium Tomb of the Warrior near Rome, dated to about 480bc.

Not sure if it is the exact same one I was refering to, but the musculature in the cuirass
is the same over developed style as the Deepeeka gads ugly one! :roll: :-P

Re: Interesting cheap steel musculata - John Conyard - 09-22-2011

Recently I ordered this musculata RSIMA 1 from Regal Nautical. The armour is advertised in brass, and Javed Alam their Marketing Director was able to confirm they could do one with a 44 inch chest with ring fastenings for $190 including postage to the U.K.
I hoped I could use it as a handling item in schools, and just perhaps the shape and form of the armour would be good enough to actually use.

[attachment=1767]RSIMA1.263193821_std.jpg[/attachment]

Javed’s emails were curt but business like and he said he could make the armour in 12 days pending payment. He kept his word and just fifteen days later the armour was delivered.

Unfortunately the shape of the musculata was entirely different to that advertised, a white metal was used with a yellow covering, and some strange modern fastening system was used instead of rings. It seems brass was too expensive for them to use. The musculata is over defined and not fit for purpose.

[attachment=1766]001_2011-09-22.JPG[/attachment]

I am now currently in dispute with the company. I hope to get a refund either from them or via PayPal.

Ordering from companies on different continents can be fraught with difficulty. This is without doubt the worst case I have had to deal with.