RomanArmyTalk
Deliberate interference in reeactment events? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Deliberate interference in reeactment events? (/showthread.php?tid=19543)

Pages: 1 2

Deliberate interference in reeactment events? - jkaler48 - 09-20-2011

Has anyone had any deliberate attempt to interfere with or shut down a reenactment event?

Examples could include:

Antiwar or other political protests

Deliberately farby or fantasy groups demanding to participate

Example: 300 style Spartans showing up at a Greek event

Re: Deliberate interference in reeactment events? - jvrjenivs - 09-20-2011

Well, in Europe most events are on invitation. Groups that doesn't match the need of an organiser simply aren't invited.

Re: Deliberate interference in reeactment events? - MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS - 09-21-2011

We were once filming with a German Panther tank and used re-enactors who portrayed Germans as well as Russians, one woman freaked and called the police. Sher was removed from the set.

M.VIB.M.

Re: Deliberate interference in reeactment events? - Neuraleanus - 09-21-2011

Not really, though I did receive dirty looks from an elder jewish woman once. Perhaps it had something to do with carting off the treasures of the temple.

Re: Deliberate interference in reeactment events? - jkaler48 - 09-21-2011

Quote:Not really, though I did receive dirty looks from an elder jewish woman once. Perhaps it had something to do with carting off the treasures of the temple.

Yes I believe a reenactment (or a movie) of the Siege of Jerusalem and the destruction of the Temple has the potential for protests. Especially if done from the perspective of and closely following the writings of Josephus.

Re: Deliberate interference in reeactment events? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-21-2011

You get anti roman comments from the odd one here in the UK, especially in Scotland lol

Re: Deliberate interference in reeactment events? - Medicus matt - 09-21-2011

Quote:You get anti roman comments from the odd one here in the UK

Usually from the "I'm a celt and so's my wife" brigade. I take great delight in telling them that they're a long way from home and maybe they ought to bugger off back to Switzerland.

Re: Deliberate interference in reeactment events? - Epictetus - 09-21-2011

I'm finding it difficult to imagine why someone would deliberately try to disrupt a reenactment event. I could see someone wanting to crash a political speech, or a corporate annual general meeting, or something of that sort. But reenactment? It's a fun hobby, (presumably) inoffensive to anyone. It would be like kicking down the door of a book club meeting.

Re: Deliberate interference in reeactment events? - Medicus matt - 09-21-2011

CADW (the Welsh equivalent of English Heritage) aren't keen on events where the Welsh lose...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-13363082

Re: Deliberate interference in reeactment events? - scotti73 - 09-21-2011

Guess they'll be short of events then :lol:

Re: Deliberate interference in reeactment events? - caiusbeerquitius - 09-21-2011

Why is this in "rules and announcements"?

Anyway:
Quote:maybe they ought to bugger off back to Switzerland.
Very funny. I was drinking coffee when reading this. Now I have to clean my keyboard.

In Germany many events donĀ“t allow costumed visitors either. A good thing. Keeps out the potential carnival-costumes while also keeping the bad costumed ones to talk a lot of nonsense to the visitors.

Re: Deliberate interference in reeactment events? - Quintius Clavus - 09-21-2011

In September 2009 we, who were reenacting the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest in New Ulm, Minnesota, were warned that protesters from the local Sioux tribe might show up. This because we were participating in an event to honor Arminius/Hermann - the Liberator of Germania - and the Sioux claim the land as their own and wrongfully taken from them in the mid 1800's.
Fortunately, no protesters showed - at least none that I was aware of.

I have had a very positive experience while portraying a Flavian era Roman legionary in a heavily Orthodox Jewish community in Lakewood, New Jersey. I participated in very good discussions with members of the community who stopped by because of my own and their own knowledge of Josephus' writings.

Re: Deliberate interference in reeactment events? - caiusbeerquitius - 09-21-2011

Quote: honor Arminius/Hermann - the Liberator of Germania -
What a nonsense.
1st. Arminius [strike]equal[/strike] Her®mann
2nd. He did not liberate "Germania", since there was no "Germania" as such back then.

Re: Deliberate interference in reeactment events? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-21-2011

Yes Matt, that about sums them up! lol

Hmmm, harder to argue with a group of souix I would imagine....

Re: Deliberate interference in reeactment events? - garrelt - 09-21-2011

I remember one thing back in 1995 when some PETA demonstrators showed up after an Iron age living experiment demonstrating against the wearing and use of animal skins by the people involved in that living experiment.
And yes press and tv where there.

Also during that experiment some people dressed as Asterix and Obelix threw pizzas over the fence.