RomanArmyTalk
4th Cent AD Campagus from Luxembourg - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: 4th Cent AD Campagus from Luxembourg (/showthread.php?tid=20176)

4th Cent AD Campagus from Luxembourg - Martin Moser - 01-24-2012

Hi all,

finished a adult size version of a child's campagus from the 1st half of the 4th cent AD. The original is in the museum in Luxembourg. I couldn't find out much about this shoe really - it was shown in the Constantine exhibition in Trier in 2007 and I have a few pictures of it from various sources.
I find it quite closely resembles both one of the contemporary finds from Deurne as well as what can be glimpsed from paintings and mosaics of the time. I built this one as a turnshoe, a way of construction that goes very well with this kind of shoe as I found.

Re: 4th Cent AD Campagus from Luxembourg - Robert Vermaat - 01-24-2012

Very nice Martin!
It resembles the campagus you made for my daughter. Which spawns the question: how to fasten this correctly? My daughter had some difficulties with it from time to time, because there is not much material 'on top of' the foot, and only one fastening strip.

Re: 4th Cent AD Campagus from Luxembourg - Martin Moser - 01-24-2012

Quote:Which spawns the question: how to fasten this correctly? My daughter had some difficulties with it from time to time, because there is not much material 'on top of' the foot, and only one fastening strip.

Looking at what is left of the fastening strip with this shoe and also what you see on some late mosaics, I'd say a fastening that goes from inner to outer ankle bone is key. With the Luxembourg campagus at least it worked very well, when I tried the shoe on yesterday. I added 2 pics that show the shoe on the foot to illustrate.

Re: 4th Cent AD Campagus from Luxembourg - Robert Vermaat - 01-24-2012

Quote:I added 2 pics that show the shoe on the foot to illustrate.
Thanks! How do you explain the difference between the photo and the mosaic, which seems to show 2 straps?

Re: 4th Cent AD Campagus from Luxembourg - Martin Moser - 01-25-2012

Quote:How do you explain the difference between the photo and the mosaic, which seems to show 2 straps?

First, there's about 200 years between these. Second, one or two straps, to me that is jsut variations on a common theme. More important and interesting IMHO is that between the 4th and 6th century for this type of shoe finds and depictions often share the same charateristics: Low cut shoes that cover more or less only the front part of the foot, held to the foot mainly by a strap construction that varies in only in detail.

Re: 4th Cent AD Campagus from Luxembourg - Robert Vermaat - 01-25-2012

My mistake for phrasing my question badly.
Your reconstruction shows a single strap, the mosaic seems to show more - does the strap go under the foot (which would not be too comfortable I guess) or is there another method? It looks like two straps, being tied together on the foot?

Re: 4th Cent AD Campagus from Luxembourg - Martin Moser - 01-26-2012

Quote:Your reconstruction shows a single strap, the mosaic seems to show more - does the strap go under the foot (which would not be too comfortable I guess) or is there another method? It looks like two straps, being tied together on the foot?

Ah, ok, understood: As far as I could ascertain the Luxembourg shoe doesn't have any slits for a strap to go around the foot 2x as it is the case for the Deurne campagus. Actually with the Deurne campagus I find that if placed at the right position, the strap passing under the foot is not uncomfortable at all (learned by experience, with the first one it *was* uncomfortable).
The two straps from the mosaic could be either I guess, one strap going round 2x or two straps jsut going over the foot in a more or less parallel fashion.

Re: 4th Cent AD Campagus from Luxembourg - Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus - 01-26-2012

Mr. Moser,
while it might be difficult to ascertain the specifics of shoe construction from mosaics, I salute your skill working with leather and your desire to make examples of all the shoes on your website. As a wanna-be craftsman myself, your work is inspirational. Thanks for showing what can be done!