RomanArmyTalk
Imperial italic D\'s painted black - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Imperial italic D\'s painted black (/showthread.php?tid=20534)

Pages: 1 2

Imperial italic D\'s painted black - scotti73 - 03-22-2012

i've acquired an Imperial italic D of the Krefeld type, its previous owner has painted the steel parts gloss black. Now i've seen illustrations of this painted helmet and reenactors wearing them painted. Is this purely a reenactorism and artistic license or is there some evidence for it. If not any one know how to get the bloody stuff off.

Re: Imperial italic D\'s painted black - Gaius Julius Caesar - 03-22-2012

I'm pretty sure it's a reenactorism. Could be wrong, but...

Re: Imperial italic D\'s painted black - Athena Areias - 03-22-2012

Is it spray paint? Try a rag saturated with paint thinner. If all else fails - acetone (with good ventilation in both cases).

Re: Imperial italic D\'s painted black - Marcus Mummius - 03-22-2012

Salve Aulus

The black colour on the original helmet is most likely a result of a conservation treatement of the iron parts with tannic acid. The aim of this treatement is to have the iron oxide react with the tannic acid to form the stable iron tannate, which often has a black or blueish colour. You often see this colour on iron archaeological objects in museums.

Sometimes they also apply a protective coating of microcrystalline wax that have been coloured black with graphite for example, often to make the object esthetically more pleasing, although this colouring to change the aspect of the original object is very debatable.

So I'd suggest to take the paint off ;-) You can try different solvents like paint thinner, aceton, white spirit, perhaps in combination with a scorch pad. Put on gloves that resist solvents and do it in a well ventilated area (or outside) or wear adequate respiratory protection.

Vale,
Jef

Re: Imperial italic D\'s painted black - Gaius Colletti - 03-22-2012

To supplement what Jef just explained, check out the Italic H helmet under the remarks tab "The black colour of the iron skull is caused by the preservation techniques employed. This is not an original feature of the helmet."
http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/component/option,com_helmets/task,view/cid,52/Itemid,96/

Although I wouldn't blame a Roman for putting some semi-permanent coat on their helmets so they didn't rust every time they found themselves marching/camping in rain, snow, humidity, morning dew, barbarians... all things that they had to put up with constantly

Re: Imperial italic D\'s painted black - Magnus - 03-22-2012

Part of the Legionary's daily grind was keeping your gear rust-free. They had oils and grease just as we did.

Re: Imperial italic D\'s painted black - Gaius Colletti - 03-22-2012

Well of course, I was just being sarcastic on the amount of time and resources required for an entire legion to keep their equipment up to standard Big Grin

Re: Imperial italic D\'s painted black - Magnus - 03-22-2012

Yeah, but soldiers with free time usually get into trouble...

Re: Imperial italic D\'s painted black - Cavok - 03-22-2012

I know I used to :oops:

Re: Imperial italic D\'s painted black - scotti73 - 03-22-2012

The paint came off really easily with wire wool and the missus's nail polish remover. The helmet looks awesome now. Thanks for all the advice.

Re: Imperial italic D\'s painted black - Marcus Mummius - 03-22-2012

Good to hear.

The nail polish remover is probably mostly aceton so that would work well indeed.

Re: Imperial italic D\'s painted black - PhilusEstilius - 03-23-2012

I have made four copies of the Italic D in the past and with one of these I did blue the bowl with heat before putting on the decoration pieces, this was done simply to prevent oxidization of the steel over time.
I think that Jef has given us a very good explanation of why the original may look black.

Re: Imperial italic D\'s painted black - ANTONIVS MAGNVS - 03-23-2012

Brian would you happen to have a picture of that? I have an Italic D helmet. There was a picture somewhere of one that was "blued" with heat but I can't seem to find it.

Re: Imperial italic D\'s painted black - PhilusEstilius - 03-23-2012

Jay.

I'm sorry but I don't have a picture of that one but as I have mentioned it was to prevent corrosion, I would not recommend to anyone that they put anything onto their Italic D as I don't think the original would have been black at all.

Re: Imperial italic D\'s painted black - Marcus Mummius - 03-24-2012

delete