RomanArmyTalk
Roman standards. Do any exist? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Roman standards. Do any exist? (/showthread.php?tid=20578)

Roman standards. Do any exist? - Ryan H - 03-29-2012

Have any been preserved or found?

Re: Roman standards. Do any exist? - caiusbeerquitius - 03-29-2012

Yes.

Re: Roman standards. Do any exist? - munazio planco - 03-29-2012

avete omnes

I know that there is a vexillum intact that now is in Russia and some years ago were found in the palatinum some spearheads of stendards and sheptre from the time of Massenzio.

Re: Roman standards. Do any exist? - S. Marcer - 03-29-2012

Hello Ryan,
here's a topic where it appear the intact vexillum from Egypt, originally published in the Journal of Roman Studies, Vol. 32 (1942) pp. 92-106 by M.I. Rostovtzeff.

Best!
S.M.

Re: Roman standards. Do any exist? - Gaius Julius Caesar - 03-29-2012

They had very high ones indeed....oh those standards!! :mrgreen:

I see someone has answered your query.

Re: Roman standards. Do any exist? - caiusbeerquitius - 03-29-2012

There is also this:
Signa Militaria

Re: Roman standards. Do any exist? - PhilusEstilius - 03-29-2012

Byron.

I have sent you an e-mail.

Re: Roman standards. Do any exist? - Ryan H - 03-30-2012

Gratis vobis ago!

Re: Roman standards. Do any exist? - Draconis - 03-30-2012

For what its worth, years ago in an antique coin shop in Sydney, Australia, I saw they were selling a small eagle, bronze, I believe, they said was from a Roman standard. I possibly could have bought it but I was into collecting English Hammered coins and looking for them. This was maybe 16-17 years ago.

Re: Roman standards. Do any exist? - Magnus - 03-30-2012

If it was small, it was likely from something other than a standard. The sculptural evidence depicts them as being fairly large.

Re: Roman standards. Do any exist? - Draconis - 03-31-2012

Might there have been secondary unit standards?

Re: Roman standards. Do any exist? - Magnus - 03-31-2012

Yes, but these were either vexillia or the cohort standards.

Re: Roman standards. Do any exist? - markhebb - 04-18-2012

Sorry to piggyback on this topic but I thought it was better than starting a whole new thread. Big Grin

I'm frantically finishing my PHD thesis on military loyalty and the Roman army in late antiquity (235-395) and I'm editing my section on Signa. Hence I'm firing out random questions to people (LOL) in a panic that I've missed things.

Is anyone here aware of evidence that suggests the continued existence of the "Heraldic" Signa (stork, bull, bear other zodiac images etc) beyond the end of the third century. The latest I can find is the use of these images on the legionary coinage of Gallienus etc.

If anyone could help out it would relieve my stress levels down to...oh 12/10.

thanks
Mark Hebblewhite