RomanArmyTalk
Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts (/showthread.php?tid=20858)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - ANTONIVS MAGNVS - 06-02-2012

I've always thought that the Signifer and Aquilifer had the best look with the animal skins over top the helmet and legs tied around the neck. I've seen many different impressions, some using bears, wolves, lions...Did any of the ancient writers mention the types of animal pelts used? Bears and wolves would have been common in Europe at the time, lions were also fairly common in the East and Africa.

What would be appropriate to use today? Foxes and Coyote's are readily available for reasonable prices while lions pelts are probably not allowed to be traded anymore unless they have an old provenance. Would any North American cats be a suitable substitute like mountain lions, coyotes? Let's see what people are using.

Re: Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - caiusbeerquitius - 06-03-2012

I donĀ“t think there is any evidence for wolves being used by standard bearers. Wolves are mentioned for the Republican velites.

Re: Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - Neuraleanus - 06-03-2012

Bears are shown on Trajan's column. Here is Bob the bear on one of my helmets:

[attachment=4091]bobthebear.jpg[/attachment]

He is a North American Black bear with a brown coat standing in for a European Brown.

Re: Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER - 06-04-2012

My signifer's impression with a bear pelt:

http://www.journalscene.com/images/blogs/paulz/roman/_P6B0124.jpg

[attachment=4100]P1010025.JPG[/attachment]

Re: Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - ANTONIVS MAGNVS - 06-05-2012

Very nice guys. Alexander I love that shield!

Re: Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - ANTONIVS MAGNVS - 01-21-2013

Anyone else?

Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - Doc - 01-21-2013

Alexander, who made the shield? Was it Christian? That umbo looks familiar.

The signum is also beautiful. Is that the one Matt Lukes made?

Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - Robert - 01-21-2013

[attachment=6286]100_1387.jpg[/attachment]

One of our Belgium friends of Legio XI at the Romeinenfestival. Looks impressive, doesn't it?

Good grief, I got that all wrong!! Sorry guys, please see post below by Jurjen with the correct pedigree of this lovely lion :oops:

Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER - 01-21-2013

Quote:Alexander, who made the shield? Was it Christian? That umbo looks familiar.

The signum is also beautiful. Is that the one Matt Lukes made?

The signum was indeed made by Matt Lukes. The parma and the umbo were discussed here.

Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - ANTONIVS MAGNVS - 01-21-2013

Robert very impressive indeed! That lion is huge!

Alexander I read your link to the original thread about the umbo, thanks. Just out of curiosity is the boss a one off or are you able to reproduce it?

Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - Titvs Statilivs Castvs - 01-21-2013

Quote:One of our Belgium friends of Legio XI at the Romeinenfestival. Looks impressive, doesn't it?

AFAIK not a member of Legio XI. But impressive nonetheless.

Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - jvrjenivs - 01-21-2013

Quote:One of our Belgium friends of Legio XI at the Romeinenfestival. Looks impressive, doesn't it?

That is Matze from the Romercohorte Opladen (Germany) with the lion skin owned by the Dutch Gemina Project (LEG X GEM). It has been prepared by Paul Karremans, who did some more of the best animals around in re-enactment, in my opinion.

Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - Narukami - 01-21-2013

These are great! Smile

More please. :cheer:

:wink:

Narukami

Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - Marcus Mummius - 01-21-2013

Salvete

I'm from Legio XI in Belgium and so I'll show you one of our pelts too.

I have borrowed and worn Gemina's lion pelt and must say that it takes a strong neck to bear it for long periods! It is a great feeling though.

Here's a picture of me with my bearskin. I got the skin from a taxidermist in Canada. Initially I shaped the head with salt water and stuffed wool in it and used it like that for some years.
About two years ago my bear got a facelift by Paul Karremans who did a geat job.

[Image: IMG_5475.jpg]

Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - Marcus Mummius - 01-21-2013

You'll have to rotate your computer to see the picture straight. Photobucket does not seem to be my friend anymore...