RomanArmyTalk
Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts (/showthread.php?tid=20858)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - Robert Vermaat - 01-21-2013

Quote:You'll have to rotate your computer to see the picture straight. Photobucket does not seem to be my friend anymore...
No problems for me Confusedilly:

Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - Doc - 01-22-2013

Bear pelts are no problem. But where does someone get a lion pelt? Is the lion pelt on that signifer made from synthetic material or is it an actual lion skin.

Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - jvrjenivs - 01-22-2013

Quote:Bear pelts are no problem. But where does someone get a lion pelt? Is the lion pelt on that signifer made from synthetic material or is it an actual lion skin.

It's a real lion. The Gemina project acquired it when the animal had died in a Dutch ZOO and the staff kindly helped them with the paperworks, etc.

Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - Doc - 01-22-2013

Hello Jurjen,

Interesting about the lion. Where I live in NY there is a very large zoo and about two hours from my home a safari theme park.
Who knows if I ask them that when one of their lions dies, if I could have the pelt. Somehow being in the States I doubt it.
But it does not hurt to ask.

Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - tiberius antonius serenus - 01-22-2013

Hello!

I'am Antonius from the Legio XXII Primigenia PR P F. This is my Wolf:

[Image: 602526_10151246368374757_293197860_n_zps1996e95e.jpg]

[Image: 391807_10151272340919757_1484676219_n_zpsb29abb59.jpg]

bye!!

ps: hello Jef!

Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - Kegluneq - 01-22-2013

Quote:Hello!

I'am Antonius from the Legio XXII Primigenia PR P F. This is my Wolf:
That looks amazing! I do wonder what the Romans might have used (if anything) to replace the eyes - are those made of glass, or something more complicated?

Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - caiusbeerquitius - 01-22-2013

Do we have any evidence for wolf pelts being worn by standard bearers? There are several reenactment groups doing that, I have the impression that it is rather some sort of "reenactorism". And the face masks for standard bearers?

Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - jvrjenivs - 01-22-2013

Quote:Do we have any evidence for wolf pelts being worn by standard bearers? There are several reenactment groups doing that, I have the impression that it is rather some sort of "reenactorism". And the face masks for standard bearers?

Actually, I have the impression that even using the animal pelt OVER A HELMET might be a re-enactorism as well. Looking at some of the depictions the skin could also be put on the head directly, something like a hat.

Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - ANTONIVS MAGNVS - 01-22-2013

Quote: And the face masks for standard bearers?

I believe there are two stele that show a face mask but some believe it is actually an animal pelt head. I'll try to dig them up:

Quintus Luccius Faustus of XIV Gemina

Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - M. Demetrius - 01-23-2013

Using the bowl from a Trooper helmet (cut off the neck guard, and perhaps remove the cheek pieces) would give a practical use for one of those helmets. I know someone who did basically that. Seems to work fine.
Quote:Looking at some of the depictions the skin could also be put on the head directly, something like a hat.
I have seen some that look that way, too. Hard to know for sure. But a piece of furry skin would provide little protection for the head. A metal under-cap would help, for sure.

Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER - 01-23-2013

Quote:Robert very impressive indeed! That lion is huge!

Alexander I read your link to the original thread about the umbo, thanks. Just out of curiosity is the boss a one off or are you able to reproduce it?

Jennifer who made the umbo has the form, but as far as I know, she has no intention to make another copy.

Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - ANTONIVS MAGNVS - 01-23-2013

You're very fortunate then, it's absolutely beautiful.

Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - Marcus Mummius - 01-24-2013

Quote:
Marcus Mummius post=328833 Wrote:You'll have to rotate your computer to see the picture straight. Photobucket does not seem to be my friend anymore...
No problems for me Confusedilly:

Thanks Robert!

Quote: ps: hello Jef!

Salve frater! I hope you are well!

Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - Albertomv - 01-24-2013

Here is Quintus Luccius Faustus stella:

[attachment=6297]QuintusLucciusFaustus.jpg[/attachment]

Let\'s see your Signifer and Aquilifer animal pelts - Luca - 01-24-2013

[Image: sample5.jpg]

we bought the fur of a lion from a zoo. The lion died naturally of course, but we have to travel always with documentations and permissions.
We chose to close the eyes of the head because I have no evidence romans were using glass eyes to put them into the animal furs.