RomanArmyTalk
Show your Roman artwork - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show your Roman artwork (/showthread.php?tid=20975)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Show your Roman artwork - AirAssault7 - 12-24-2013

I'm gone for a few months and come back to all these wonderful pieces of artwork! Great job everyone! :cheer:

Show your Roman artwork - AMELIANVS - 12-24-2013

Where have you been all this time?Searching ancient artefacts somewhere in the jungle Big Grin ?Thanks Smile .

Show your Roman artwork - AMELIANVS - 12-31-2013

Constantinian infantryman of 312 AD

Based on the arch of Constantine and other contemporary art and featuring what seems to be some kinds of horns attached on helmets although this paricular thing is very hardly readable from the arch.Here an interpretation that it could have been feathers is shown.Also"Christian" symbol on the shield is not yet really a Christian one.It is quite reasonable to assume that at the time Milvian bridge battle take place Constantine saw his vision(whatewer it was and if he and his army watched any strange spectacle at all)rather with connection with his original believe in Sol Invictus-as a sun symbol and only later reinterpreted it on Christian Chi-ro symbol during his personal religious journey and transformation.

Show your Roman artwork - Longovicium - 12-31-2013

Lovely work, there, Pavel! Very atmospheric and detailed. I love the roughly painted-on symbol - a nice touch.

There is not many modern depictions of Milvian bridge but most of them shows xp painted very nicely not as something done in haste night before battle as it likely was in reality.Peter Connolly showed it this rough way as first from what I know.

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 12-31-2013

Awesome work Pavel!

Thank you Evan...YOU CHANGED YOUR PROFILE PHOTO! :!: ...Have a nice last day of 2013 :-)

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 01-07-2014

So I'll have a new drawing uploaded tonoght or tomorrow. Depends on when I finish it. Wink

Show your Roman artwork - AMELIANVS - 01-08-2014

I will soon return to my old idea of reconstructing arch of Galerius by which I mean-carefull redraving of preserved fragments-then their hypothetical reconstruction as they probably looked originaly(even colored) -and also to create whole set of paintings from Galerius war with Persia based on the arch.

In the past I saw hypothetical graph some scholar had made about how the arch should be possibly read-hypothetical sequence of events.I think it was in german language.Anybody knows where to find this or something similar?

Show your Roman artwork - jho - 01-08-2014

Salve,

This sounds like a very interesting project and you sketches look very promising.

You are probably referring to Hans Peter Laubscher: Der Reliefschmuck des Galeriusbogens in Thessaloniki. Berlin 1975. I am not aware whether this is available online but a graph from his book is available here

Two recent studies from German students are available here (just type "Galeriusbogen" into the search mask). I have no idea about their academic value.

Show your Roman artwork - Nathan Ross - 01-08-2014

If you have JSTOR access, look up Margret S. Pond Rothman's 'The Thematic Organization of the Panel Reliefs on the Arch of Galerius' (American Journal of Archaeology, no.81, 1977).

Meanwhile, just for fun, here's a very rough collage version of one of the soldiers on the 'adlocutio' scene, based on a well-known Christa Hook illustration:

[attachment=8662]Legionary298AD-a.jpg[/attachment]

Thanks Jens, that's what I had on mind. Thanks to Nathan too. I will take a look on all those links.Interresting modification of Christa Hook-this is how I imagine it myself.

Show your Roman artwork - Virilis - 01-08-2014

I have always thought that the helmets in the arch of Galerius are very clearly of the Deir el Medineh- type. (Simon James shares my opinion Wink). In fact I have never seen a sculpture depicting so obviously the details of a known roman helmet (well, perhaps some Montefortino types).

Indeed-I believe in this too(because I have eyes).If those helmets are not directly the very same type as exemplar recovered at Deir el Medineh they are clearly at least helmets from the very same typological branch as that of Deir el Medineh.

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 01-08-2014

Foederati of Anthemius, 468 AD

[Image: yZ4ur1l.jpg]

These men are federate soldiers hired for the Africa Campaign of 468. By this era in Roman History, the Western Roman Army was no more; it had died with Aetius in 454. Therefore the generals of the time (Ricimer, Majoran, Orestes, etc) had to rely entirely on federate mercenaries. An excellent example is of Sidonius Apollinaris' account of how they hired mercenary troops to defend Augustonemetum (Clermont-Ferrard) against the Visigoths. However the loyalty of these troops did not lie with Rome, and the fact that their commanders were Barbarian made them susceptible to revolt. Many emperors of this era met their deaths at the hands of these men, and ultimately it was the Foederati who brought down the Western Empire in 476.

These particular men are equipped with a banded helmet and arming cap, and the man on the right possesses a hood or "Cucullus." The man on the left is armed with an Angon and a germanic Type-1 Sword, and the man on the right owns only a contus, as it is likely that is all he could afford. Both have Belts of Gallic origin, and wear simple boots. Although they are barbarian, they are trained and fight in a style similar to the old Western Field Army, which is no longer around to combat the invaders.

In the background sails a Triaconter of the Eastern Roman Empire, which continued to maintain a fleet. It is an intermediary warship between the Liburna of the Republic and the Dromon of Byzantium, utilizing new technology like skeleton-first construction, a spur instead of the dated ram, and it possesses triangular sails. In reality the Empire did not have any warships larger than a monoreme, as is shown, and relied heavily on merchant vessels to supply warships and troop transports.

This was the third attempt to re-take Africa: the first was by Aetius in 440, but the Eastern Fleet never arrived and the campaign was over before it started. The second was by Aetius' prodigious general Majoran in 460, but the 300 Roman warships he had built to cross the straits of Gibraltar were destroyed when the Vandals paid the inhabitants of Carthaginiensis to burn the fleet. Ricimer had Majoran killed before he could build the ships needed to cross the straits again. The third was in 468, after Leo I had gotten sick of Vandal raiding in the Eastern mediterranean and put the new emperor Anthemius on the throne.

The Africa campaign would ultimately end in failure, but it was truly the last hope of the western empire. The error that sealed the fate of the west (if it had not already been sealed 40 years prior when the Vandals first set foot in Africa) was that Basilicus did not deploy his troops onto the shore, and the Vandals attacked the Roman fleet with fireships which destroyed it at the Battle of Cape Bon. This was the largest military undertaking of late antiquity, and Africa would remain in Barbarian hands for another 50 years.