RomanArmyTalk
Show your Roman artwork - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show your Roman artwork (/showthread.php?tid=20975)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Show your Roman artwork - Simon Aurelius - 02-13-2014

Hi guys

http://museearcheo.montpellier-agglo.com/expositions/exposition-temporaire/15-mars-8-septembre-2014-exposition-les-iapodes-peuple-meconnu-collections-du-musee-archeologique-de-zagreb--225923.khtml?RH=1182429673260

this is link where You can find two illustrations - commisioned work I did for the exhibition about Japodi (Yapides).
Process of drawing was a longer one (about two weeks) - including sketches and consultations with experts - Lidija Bakarić and Ivan Radman Livaja from Archaeological muzeum from Zagreb.
Web previews are small (as You can see) but originals are made as A3 at 300 dpi. All work is done digitally.
Although there are no Romans depicted, I hope youll like them.

Best
Simon

Show your Roman artwork - AMELIANVS - 02-13-2014

I like mainly that first guy Smile

Show your Roman artwork - T. Flavius - 02-13-2014

Hey all! I haven't been here in ages. Back in the day, I read more than I posted anyway.

I'm working on an illustrated novel about the battle of Cannae right now, and I'm likely to pop back in and get help with the visual side! I'd you'd like to take a look, the link for the site is in my sig.

Header for the website (yet to be coloured.)
[attachment=8996]battle_header.jpg[/attachment]

After the battle. An older illustration that won't be in the book when it's done. Watercolour.
[attachment=8993]wp_cannae_col.jpg[/attachment]

Not for the project, just finding my way around a new medium: Hannibal at Trasimene, in acrylic inks.
[attachment=8994]wp_trasimene_col.jpg[/attachment]

And well, you can't do a Hannibal project without doing a painting of him in the Alps. Watercolour, and a bit of Gouache.
[attachment=8995]wp_alpen_fin.jpg[/attachment]

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 02-13-2014

Wow, fantastic work!!!

Show your Roman artwork - T. Flavius - 02-14-2014

Thanks! I'm glad you like it!

Does anyone have any nitpicky feedback on the first image, especially? I'm really impressed with the knowledge floating around on this board. If anyone sees a mistake, feel free to point it out!

Show your Roman artwork - AMELIANVS - 02-14-2014

Hello,

Seen your works on DA already before.I think everytning is historically ok in that picture.

Show your Roman artwork - tiberius aemilius naso - 02-15-2014

Wonderful art there! Just for the sake of nitpickig (you are asking for it!), the pilum you see in the first drawing is of a later type than the ones used during the Second Punic War (as far as we know). The pilum should be of the type with side wings, as found in Telamon and Castelruf. I would also introduce more types of ways of attaching the plumes to the crest-knobs in the Montefortinos, making them more interesting. The three plumes coming directly from the crest-knob seems to be kind of a reenactorism, and some Montes have remains of iron plume holders. The cheek-pieces in the Montes are lacking the studs for the leather strap that would keep the helmet in place. That's all!

Show your Roman artwork - T. Flavius - 02-15-2014

I'm sorry, double post!

Show your Roman artwork - T. Flavius - 02-15-2014

Extremely helpful, guys - thank you! Tiberius, have you got a picture of the pilum type? I don't think I've come across them.

EDIT: Would they be number three here? http://www.wildfiregames.com/~art/history/information/images/pilum.jpg
In that case, the metal tip ought to be longer, I suppose?

Avoiding reenactment pet peeves is a good directive - I suppose a couple of those are likely to pick up the book when it's ready.

As the above post was rather thin on the Romans, here's Gnaeus Cornelius Lentulus, and Lucius Aemilius Paullus.

[attachment=9021]wp_lentulus.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9020]wp_paullus_ink_2014-02-14.jpg[/attachment]

Another edit: I've reworked the battle header now. I hope everything is mainly correct. I've started colouring, so I hope nobody finds anything glaringly wrong with it at this point...

[attachment=9027]battle_header_2014-02-15.jpg[/attachment]

Show your Roman artwork - tiberius aemilius naso - 02-16-2014

Maybe i am too late! The pilum wouldn't have the truncated conical wooden part, and would be shorter. A paper on them, with drawings: http://gladius.revistas.csic.es/index.php/gladius/article/viewFile/16/17

A reconstruction:
http://sgp.foros.ws/t232/pilum-de-castellruf/10/

Show your Roman artwork - T. Flavius - 02-16-2014

Very helpful, thanks! And not too late to implement.

Show your Roman artwork - 1493541 - 02-16-2014

My first try at art

Show your Roman artwork - jvrjenivs - 02-16-2014

Very nice artwork, Jenny. Love them.

Show your Roman artwork - Graham Sumner - 02-17-2014

Hello Jenny

Thanks for posting the examples of your work. Ancient battles are really difficult to depict not only in an illustrations but in re-enactment also, however you have captured the essence of the face to face aspect of ancient warfare.

It looks to me that you have not drawn from real models which is brilliant. That is a skill you should treasure as it is not always possible to get people to pose for you. However working from models will help in getting the proportions of the figures correct and more importantly help with the scale of the equipment.

As an anecdote I do recall being asked to illustrate some English Civil War soldiers and was presented by the editor with a layout which had the soldiers already sketched in. However the design only worked well because the Pikemen all had six foot pikes!

In illustrations it is not always appreciated but the illustrator also has to literally tell a story and make it clear to the viewer. The illustrator has to know how everyone get where they are in the scene and what will happen to them moments later. The artist has to know who threw that pila and where is that sword or spear going too etc.... You also have to think about how everyone will fit into the scene in 3D even though you are producing a 2D image.

With ancient battles there is also a matter of taste. They were literally butchers yards but rarely is this shown. Nevertheless some Graphic novels for the continental market such as the 'Murena' series, live up to the term graphic but in Britain illustrations are very often regarded as being more suitable for a younger audience so you have to be careful what to show.

I have attached some of my recent illustrations for the Pen and Sword 'Roman Conquest' series.

Graham.

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 02-17-2014

Awesome work again Graham!

Yeah, being able to draw without a model, as Graham said, is a valuable skill. Took me 10 years to learn to draw people decently.

Telling a story through artwork is something I understand but don't really do. I always think of it as capturing a still moment in time.