RomanArmyTalk
Show your Roman artwork - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show your Roman artwork (/showthread.php?tid=20975)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Show your Roman artwork - Graham Sumner - 03-01-2014

Hi Evan

if you use a range of soft pencils, all those high 'B' numbers, you can create effects with your finger to deliberately smudge the pencil. The pencil can then be 'fixed' using a spray to stop it smudging even more.

Graham.

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 03-01-2014

My art teacher told us the same thing with Charcoal. Thanks Graham.

I am going to start using fine pen though; I like the look and colored pencil won' t mess up fine details.

Show your Roman artwork - T. Flavius - 03-03-2014

Nice job, Evan! I actually much prefer hatching to smudging. The scanner picks it up better, too.

Renico, I really like your shading there. Great job.

I spent the weekend on a release party for a friend's comic, and sketched nearly all the time! Had my watercolour travel kit with me too, for some splash of colour on Cn. Cornelius Lentulus. All for the "Cannae" project.

Plus: Sacred chickens!

[attachment=9192]wp_doc_dump1.jpg[/attachment]

Show your Roman artwork - Decebalus - 03-04-2014

Reconstructions of Frankish Warriors of the 6th Century AD:
Planig grave 1 and Krefeld-Gellep grave 1782.

[attachment=9201]HUW-19FrankenBand1012-planig.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9202]HUW-19FrankenBand1012-krefeld-g.jpg[/attachment]

Show your Roman artwork - AMELIANVS - 03-04-2014

Marvelous works.I came across this few days back elsewhere but it was not in so good resolution like now .

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 03-04-2014

Awesome!

Show your Roman artwork - Renicus Ferrarius - 03-05-2014

Quote:Renico, I really like your shading there. Great job.

Thank you. I'll probably get it finished over the next couple of months.

Your artwork rivals anything I've seen in high-end comics. I'm looking forward to your Darkness Over Cannae graphic novel. Smile

Show your Roman artwork - T. Flavius - 03-06-2014

Thank you, Stephen (and sorry for the name confusion in my last post)! It's really an illustrated rather than a graphic novel (curse the euphemistic comic industry and its terminology) - it's written in prose, but lavishly illustrated. Smile

Show your Roman artwork - Decebalus - 03-07-2014

Roman standard bearers and standards, early 1st Century:

[attachment=9239]T04-feldzeichen-v2.jpg[/attachment]

Show your Roman artwork - T. Flavius - 03-11-2014

Great job! What media did you use? Looks really neat and crisp!

I'm finally done with my battle image. I made the mistake to leave it lying at that awkward stage with colours blocked in for two weeks... always a bad idea. But I'm happy with the result.

[attachment=9255]wp_battle_header_fin.jpg[/attachment]

Acrylic inks, watercolour, and coloured pencil on cold-press watercolour paper.

Show your Roman artwork - Decebalus - 03-11-2014

I know the problem of too long interruptions. It can happen that I don't like what I have done till then and make a new start (which must not necessarily be better in the result...).
But you have finally done a great job - I love the heated atmoshere of the scene.
Till now I was not so much interested in graphic novels but I will shurely look out for your work.
In case of technics I use gouache on board. The standardbearers were painted in 2010 on bristol board, but this is a bit too smooth for washes.
Now I use the Canson Arches hot pressed, which is absolutely fantastic to work on but I will give the cold pressed also a try. The texture seems very similar to your paper.
Here a some Frankish belt buckles. The greenish background was a test with computer to make them stand more out. But sadly in the finished book they have been published on a white ground.

[attachment=9256]TT03-Grtelschnallen-hi.jpg[/attachment]

That looks great! I'm much better with traditional media - I can't seem to wrap my brain around the opaque ones. As a last touch, yes, but only for the last 2%!

Arches sucks water like nobody's business. I might try it again with liquid acrylics, but for watercolour, I don't get good results with it. I swear by Montval.

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 03-11-2014

I'm not good at painting: I've only used Oils and Watercolor and I paint like a kindergartner. :lol:

You *don't* want to see me try oils! Big Grin

Show your Roman artwork - AMELIANVS - 03-12-2014

I think oils is little bit hard and annoying to work with,especially for beginners.But watercolors can be also very annoying and needs a lot of vigilance.