RomanArmyTalk
Show your Roman artwork - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show your Roman artwork (/showthread.php?tid=20975)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Show your Roman artwork - Diocle - 04-08-2013

Yeah, probably you are right, maybe it's a psychological matter, I'm too tall as Italian, so here I never know where to put my legs, so drawing, I cut a little the legs, so the man is happy and has no problems! :grin:

Thank you very much MMFA!
The guaches are easy, the watercolors are a nightmare, it's a close fight with the water....terrible! But then the Guaches come and they save the day (they are like Auxilia Palatina!)

The next will be a suprise for you MMFA! ....and for Wulfgar! Muahahaha! Confusedilly:

...Legio Martenses Seniores, under the Magister Militum per Orientem! Wait, wait Magister, I will convert you!

Show your Roman artwork - Pointer - 04-08-2013

This was our set for "REVEALED" a musical Drama that we wrote, produced and published. It is in 64 a.d. THough it is not a drawing or a painting, I would still consider it "Roman Art." THere are a few other pics in the Show your Roman Impression Thread.

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 04-08-2013

Art comes in many forms. A set is most certainly one, so are music, movies, stories, and even videogames.

@Diocle
We shall see, I still seriously doubt the Late Roman Army used Leather Musculata.

@MMFA: You'll change your mind!

Legio Comitatensis, Martenses Senores under the Magister Militum per Orientem, IV century AD.

Leather Musculata, Subarmalis with Pteruges in patted linen, Intercisa Hemet, oval shield from Notitia Dignitatum (with smoe graphic on it by me, but why not?), and this man, Magister, is only black and white....you'll be converted by the colors....Muahahahah!

[Image: scansione0007MartensesSeniores.jpg]

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 04-08-2013

I'll be converted when I can see the image, it isnt showing up for me. Try uploading it as an attatchment?

Show your Roman artwork - Robert Vermaat - 04-08-2013

Nice one! More of these!

Quote:Leather Musculata, Subarmalis with Pteruges in patted linen, Intercisa Hemet
Umm, the helmet is a bit on the large side, and there are parts of it that are incorrect (neck guard and cheek plates to name a few. Your baldric is also quite 'third c.' Your musculata is quite nice, but why leather?
And if you have pteryges on the bottom of your subarmalis (one more layer would not hurt), then why choose for strange-looking 'gambeson-type' short sleeves, instead of normal pteryges there as well?

Thanks Robert!

All your critics are right of course, the legionary should belong to the first half of the century so the baldric might be still in use, about the helmet yes, yes, and yes you're right again, but I liked the idea of a more imponent Intercisa!

- About subarmalis, I've tought to a padded subarmalis with with pteruges of linen, I tought: 'if this man has also a mail armour, he doesn't need pteryges on the sleeves....'

- About Leather musculata: this is a precise voluntary choice, nobody can exclude the use of cheap leather musculatae, but I wasn't able to imagine them, and because I make my drawing to help to see an imagine the past, I told myself: 'If you aren't able to imagine the look of a Later Roman Legionary with Musculata, draw it!' So this is what I did, and now I can see... I can imagine, and IMHO it works!

Really Honoured by your comments Robert, ans happy to read your post! I'll try to follow your suggestions, but let me dream my musculatae! :cheer:

Show your Roman artwork - Robert Vermaat - 04-09-2013

Quote:- About subarmalis, I've tought to a padded subarmalis with with pteruges of linen, I tought: 'if this man has also a mail armour, he doesn't need pteryges on the sleeves....'
I can follow your reasoning, but it's just that prior to Medieval times, padded sleeves are so far unproven for Roman subarmales. I would drop the sleeves, which are not looking very practical.

Quote:- About Leather musculata: this is a precise voluntary choice, nobody can exclude the use of cheap leather musculatae, but I wasn't able to imagine them, and because I make my drawing to help to see an imagine the past, I told myself: 'If you aren't able to imagine the look of a Later Roman Legionary with Musculata, draw it!' So this is what I did, and now I can see... I can imagine, and IMHO it works!
Really Honoured by your comments Robert, ans happy to read your post! I'll try to follow your suggestions, but let me dream my musculatae! :cheer:
Keep the musculata, by all means. Only.. if you colour it, I would suggest a metallic colour, the shape is OK!
No one can exclude a leather musculata... no, we can't see any use for it! A leather musculata as a form of armour is as useful as rubber for a rollover bar! Leather as a cover (eg on a shield) has it's use, but as armour.. this has been discussed heavily on this forum.

So by all means keep the musculata, but I suggest a metallic one. Wink

Show your Roman artwork - Gaius Julius Caesar - 04-09-2013

Robert, there is a padded sleeved garment in the Notia Dig...... 8-)

Show your Roman artwork - Graham Sumner - 04-09-2013

Hello Carlo

Others have mentioned that the legs in your figures appear too short. Granted not everyone will be the same proportions but in illustrations it helps if they are, so as a general artistic rule a person is roughly seven and a half heads high.

In your pictures the figures from the waist up look fine but then the lower half appears too short, so the legs must be longer. Another rule, if it looks right it is right.

Otherwise I like the immediacy of your style in particular the one with the vexillum and the Alba Julia legionary.

Graham.

Show your Roman artwork - GesiĆ¾ - 04-09-2013

The shins are the only part that needs lengthening. Good drawings Diocle.

I might be drawing some Romans, Seleucids and Germanics soon.

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 04-09-2013

Quote:Robert, there is a padded sleeved garment in the Notia Dig...... 8-)

You want some Ice with that Robert? Cause I think you just got burned Tongue

All jokes aside(I'm jk of course Robert :winkSmile, do you have the corresponding Image?

Show your Roman artwork - AMELIANVS - 04-10-2013

Hi carlo,
I see many new images to comment.Short legs criticism was already mentioned few times,even by such a professionals as Mr/master Sumner,so I only add this:On your late roman soldier it is quite visible how you were struggling with his hands to make them look ok with mixed result.But I experienced this myself also, everytime when I'm doing hands.To me it is one of the hardest things to draw.But it is very good that you are not escaping from it and that you showing them very clearly and not trying to hide it.End of critique.

From new pictures I like the most that with Late roman.Because of his posture and because...HI IS LATE ROMAN(little friendly advice:dont waste your time with those republican and early imperial scum :evil: ).I agree with Robert that musculata should be rather of iron,I agree with Robert that musculata should be rather of iron,although personnaly I bealive that limited use of lether armour is very probable as is using of muscular armour in late antiquity-not just an artistic convention looking to the past times.

The civil war image is is your second best.To hell with the Optimates,I'm also in the camp of the Populares.

Show your Roman artwork - AMELIANVS - 04-10-2013

Quote: so as a general artistic rule a person is roughly seven and a half heads high.

This is Almost Polykleitos-like* advice :lol:

*Polikleitos:Ancient Greek sculptor,author of famous canon of human proportions,stated that head should ideally be of 1/7 body height.

Show your Roman artwork - Flavivs Aetivs - 04-10-2013

What I heard was like a 1:5 ratio, (Head being 1/6th of the height) for normal people, 1:6 for heroic figures, and 1:7 for superman.