RomanArmyTalk
Rome: Total War II - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Gaming & Modelling (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Rome: Total War II (/showthread.php?tid=21010)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Rome: Total War II - Macedon - 12-03-2013

Empire was not good at all, at least tactically, after a while I only played it with no battles, Medieval II was to me a disappointment regarding its battles too. There was good atmosphere but the AI was incredibly stupid and never grew up to even the intelligence standards expected from a 9-year old. Just one cavalry unit on the rear of the enemy was always enough to make the computer units revolve around themselves. Regarding Rome I, I enjoyed it, although I never personally fully recovered from the shock of being able to create armies of triarii.... Totally ruined the feeling of leading a Republican army to battle for me. However, I liked it, since I quickly passed to more "advanced" technologies, forming armies of Praetorian guards.... Shogun 2 I also did not enjoy as much as Shogun 1. For me the best TWs were Medieval I, Rome I and Shogun I.

Rome: Total War II - FarDarter - 12-03-2013

I have not played Rome II, but I absolutely love RTW - and I have the Mac version. If I got the PC version with mods and the expansion packs, I'd say it's the best game ever.

Rome: Total War II - Timianus - 12-03-2013

Quote: I had read on a gaming forum back in october that they were pressured by sega (creative assemblys parent company) and forced an earlier release. .

Needed to be out for the holiday shopping season, no doubt.

Rome: Total War II - Flavivs Aetivs - 12-03-2013

Holy Crap the Mods for Medieval II and Rome I are amazing. I always play INVASIO BARBARORVM and INVASIO BARBAROVM II for RTW and M2TW respectively.

Rome: Total War II - Alexand96 - 12-03-2013

Quote:The game is horribly broken. They said it would be the most brilliant AI ever, it is the most dumbass AI ever in a TW game. Siege AI is just pure utter horror: 'let's use our torches against huge wooden with bronze covered city gates, that will work!' Sad thing, it does indeed work ffs. No siege engines at all. The seasons are gone, so if your generals gain experience they die just a few turns later. The AI starves itself on the campaign map and therefor has stacks with half dead units.

There are NO politics at all, no family tree at all, giving the game 0,0 for depth. It doesnt matter if the senate or people hate/love you. Civil war will start at any random point. Its just taking city's and defeating dumb armies, nothing more. More food buildings causes public disorder? WTF?! People in ancient times would get angry because they get more food?! They had 40% more budget then ever before, spend on what? PR movies in which some ex-soldier explaining how great Romans were. CouldnĀ“t they have spent that money on the actual game?

Fleets are utterly useless. You can just walk your army into the ocean and they suddenly turn intot an entire fleet. Great battles turn into huge mosh pits, looks more like a metal concert than a battle. Can't build roads, and you can only build a max of 6 buildings, even for Rome, Carthage or Alexandria. They have patched some, i agree but the game is still hollow. And then they dare to ask money for a bloody expansion. Seriously? That should have been in the freakin game from the start! And now they have announced a paid DLC for a staggering 15,99 euro's. CA has lost it's mind. People defending this game have either very low standards or no idea how a great game should work for that much money.

Yes i am angry indeed, they can screw up any time period, medieval, 18th century, Shogun era, but why, why ancient times, why did they have to screw this one up?!?!?!?!?!!!

Ave!

Man, I have just got to get this game!!

Rome: Total War II - Dan Howard - 12-04-2013

Quote:Hm, Medieval 2 and Shogun 2 were pretty good, and Rome 1 was awesome...
Agreed completely. I enjoyed all three of these, but Rome 1 was my favourite. My favourite mod was the Lord of the RIngs one. Sounds like I should give Rome 2 a miss.

Rome: Total War II - Marc - 12-04-2013

Yeah just dont buy it, maybe you can try in like a month or five, when they have patched a lot. Now it's not even worth a penny. Besides within five months it will probably be in the 50/75% discount bin...

Rome: Total War II - Flavivs Aetivs - 12-04-2013

Yeah Steam already had it on sale for 50% off.

Rome: Total War II - d.carmichael - 12-04-2013

so much negativity about this game. When was the last time most of you played it? I completely agree earlier the game was crap with the AI and such but now theres been such big improvements and more to come i'm thoroughly enjoying it. there hasn't been much on politics i'll admit but i'm sure that'll get better eventually. As for ship battles if your fighting with transports its nearly impossible to win against a good fleet now. The AI is smarter and the over all experiance has improved alot. Its definately worth a try, and if your still unsatisfied then try again in a few months when they patch even further. I find that Total war Rome 2 as is right now after the patches is alot more fun and better then the origional.

Rome: Total War II - Marc - 12-04-2013

Quote:so much negativity about this game. When was the last time most of you played it? I completely agree earlier the game was crap with the AI and such but now theres been such big improvements and more to come i'm thoroughly enjoying it. there hasn't been much on politics i'll admit but i'm sure that'll get better eventually. As for ship battles if your fighting with transports its nearly impossible to win against a good fleet now. The AI is smarter and the over all experiance has improved alot. Its definately worth a try, and if your still unsatisfied then try again in a few months when they patch even further. I find that Total war Rome 2 as is right now after the patches is alot more fun and better then the origional.

The negativity is there because you pay 60 dollars/euro's for a product that is far from finished. AI improved? Battle AI maybe, but siege AI? Don't fool yourself, it is still a sad display. The game is hollow, no depth. It took modders one week, one week to improve pretty much everything on the battle AI. It took CA more than three months. It just angers me that CA apperantly doesn't care because they put all the features that were missing in the original into the new Gaul campain. They just should have fixed the main game first and not ask for extra money for a by product.

Rome: Total War II - Dan Howard - 12-04-2013

It was the depth of gameplay that made Rome 1 so interesting. The tactical battles didn't interest me at all. I can't see how any amount of patching of Rome 2 will give me back all of the features that I liked about Rome 1.

Rome: Total War II - Ovid - 12-05-2013

Quote:Rome 1 and Medieval 2 were amazing.
The mods for Kingdoms IB,PI and De Bello Mundi are interesting. I think I've played most of the RTW 1 mods at one time or the other. Amazing stuff.

Rome: Total War II - Flavivs Aetivs - 12-05-2013

Invasio Barbarorum II is what I play on Kingdoms. It's the only Late Roman one left (Fall of Rome is gone, Ages of Darkness II has been in progress for like 5 years... yeah)

Rome: Total War II - Thomas Aagaard - 12-05-2013

David, I paid full price for a game that should still be in beta. That is why there is hate.

And how did they manage to make everything work worse than in Shogun 2?
Why did they remove the skill tree from generals and characters? In shogun 2 you can clearly see the options and how to get there.

Iam sticking to Europa Universalis IV... in every way a better made game... it was actually pretty stable and finished when shipped.

Rome: Total War II - Robert Vermaat - 12-06-2013

I have it as of Tuesday, 38 euros, so far so good. My son (13) likes it and that tells me a lot. So far so good. I play it on a laptop and so far the only negative things are the fast spin when you try to look around when in a battle, and the fact that no units can be sent to another army without a general being attached. Otherwise, all positive. I'm not comaring this to Shogun (don't know it), but to RTW I.