RomanArmyTalk
Social Features - Stay or Go? - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Social Features - Stay or Go? (/showthread.php?tid=21261)

Pages: 1 2 3

Social Features - Stay or Go? - Praefectusclassis - 08-22-2012

Right all. It's high time for a proper upgrade of the site and forum system (for stability reasons, and to be able to reintroduce the Imagebase and helmet database for one). The 'social features' will require a paid upgrade though, and before I invest in that, I want to know if you want to keep these around. So let's please have your vote! The poll is open until september 30th. After that date, I will go with the majority opinion (and if that's the paid version, I will ask for contributions, thank you).

Please note: [strike]the PM system is included in the Social Features. If they go, your old PMs go. I promise I'll find an alternative however, so that we WILL always keep this feature.[/strike]I have replaced the PM system today, old messages have been transferred!

Please also note: a Facebook login will be nothing more than the ability, the option, to login with your Facebook account. It will not be mandatory, nor will it create feedback to Fb about what other members do. The feedback of those users who do login via Facebook needs to be established.

Re: Social Features - Stay or Go? - Epictetus - 08-22-2012

Could you possibly remind us which are "social features"? Friending, news feeds, status updates, private messages, groups, events, calendar...?

Re: Social Features - Stay or Go? - Praefectusclassis - 08-22-2012

It's kind of an all or nothing deal, so yeah, pretty much all of the above. Calendar/events is something I'd look at replacing too.

Re: Social Features - Stay or Go? - richsc - 08-22-2012

The only social feature I use regularly is the PM, so if you can keep that, I would be happy.

Re: Social Features - Stay or Go? - M. Demetrius - 08-22-2012

Losing the PM might be a little awkward, but those messages could be handled via FB, I guess, providing the member of RAT was also a member of FB.

I thought I pointed out that though the PM system would go, I would find a replacement with the same functionality...

Re: Social Features - Stay or Go? - M. Demetrius - 08-22-2012

You did. That was not a lament, just an observation.

If/when the Social Features go (I do hope more members vote!), it might, in fact, be possible to introduce a new PM system before that happens, so you can copy essential PMs from one to the other.

Re: Social Features - Stay or Go? - Ammianus - 08-22-2012

I have to say I never use the social features here. I use the forum as a forum! If I want casual social stuff then it's facebook instead. Big Grin

Re: Social Features - Stay or Go? - Vindex - 08-22-2012

I would prefer not to have the Forum linked to FB if possible. But the rest can go with my good wishes!

Re: Social Features - Stay or Go? - Jona Lendering - 08-23-2012

Quote:I would prefer not to have the Forum linked to FB if possible. But the rest can go with my good wishes!
I strongly agree.

Re: Social Features - Stay or Go? - Simplex - 08-23-2012

Hello Jasper,

in short: no FB , please .

Greez

Siggi

Re: Social Features - Stay or Go? - Praefectusclassis - 08-23-2012

Updated my original post for some clarification...

Re: Social Features - Stay or Go? - Vindex - 08-23-2012

Should this not have some sort of flag to keep it near the top of the discussions?

Re: Social Features - Stay or Go? - Praefectusclassis - 08-23-2012

I'll sticky it, but it's linked from the announcement at the top of the board!