RomanArmyTalk
Spreadsheet Of roman weapon/armor dates - UD-6/11 - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Spreadsheet Of roman weapon/armor dates - UD-6/11 (/showthread.php?tid=21473)

Pages: 1 2

Spreadsheet Of roman weapon/armor dates - UD-6/11 - damianlz - 10-23-2012

I apologize if this exists somewhere else, I have never been able to find a document or even a rough guideline on when specific arms and armor were used so I could contextually piece together an idea of what may have seen some overlap so I spent some time pooling together what little information I had in an effort to provide an easy resource on what was in use at what time period. The document has a long way to go to be filled and I'm sure I have gotten things wrong but I was wondering if you guys could provide any information or advice to help get this document in the correct shape!

Edit - It seems Rat doesnt want to allow my uploads, I'm happy to email this file to anyone interested untill we can get this sorted out

UPDATED ATTACHMENT

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/JEGSrLGiLq/

Spreadsheet Of roman weapon/armor dates of use - jvrjenivs - 10-23-2012

Junkelmann did make such overviews for helmet types.

Spreadsheet Of roman weapon/armor dates of use - wolle1301 - 10-23-2012

Well done.

I have not checked it, but I imagine it to be lots of work.

So thank you very much for doing something like this !

Spreadsheet Of roman weapon/armor dates of use - damianlz - 10-23-2012

I'll see if I can find Jenkelmans work, im working from some websites, Paddock and other work from the books I have so I'm trying to get what specific dates that I can other than 'used in the late empire"

Spreadsheet Of roman weapon/armor dates of use - markusaurelius - 10-24-2012

nice spreadsheet. Thanks

Spreadsheet Of roman weapon/armor dates of use - Robert Vermaat - 10-24-2012

Intercise must be Intercisa
The Berkasovo helmets certainly date back to 300. Ridge helmets may even have started use earlier, mid-3rd c.
We see Spangenhelmets worn on Trajan's Column, and I think also by Syrian archers? Way earlier than 300, anyway.

No dates for the squamata and musculata?

Greaves are certainly worn after 300.

Spreadsheet Of roman weapon/armor dates of use - damianlz - 10-24-2012

Yeah sorry Robert this was all a WIP project, I'll update the names/dates thank you! Im still torn about the squamata and hamata, if I list the changes to the style as seperate rows or if I leave the differing styles on the same line but with markings for style changes.

I'm still missing the pugio, caligae, tunic, belts, and more, this is just a start

Spreadsheet Of roman weapon/armor dates of use - Narukami - 10-25-2012

And may I say (totally off topic) -- Great Avatar.

As Gaius Julius Groucho said, "I can't call off the war, I've already paid a month's rent on the battlefield."

:wink:

Narukami

Spreadsheet Of roman weapon/armor dates of use - damianlz - 10-25-2012

Ha, Narukami you always get me :p

Again if anyone has dates or clarifications to add it would be a big plus!

Spreadsheet Of roman weapon/armor dates of use - XorX - 10-26-2012

are there any finds of Intercisa- or Berkasovo-type ridge-helmets dating later than the example from Concesti ( about 420 a.D., i think)?

Spreadsheet Of roman weapon/armor dates of use - Robert Vermaat - 11-02-2012

Dating helmets is not always possible, except by style. Some think for instance that the Deir el Medinah helmet is dated to the 5th c. instead of the late 3rd. Difficult to say, therefore. I think the current concensus is that ridgehelmets disappeared during the 6th c. and that spangenhelmets became the standard helmet of the Roman army. This seems to be what can be concluded from the art of the period, anyway.

Spreadsheet Of roman weapon/armor dates of use - XorX - 11-03-2012

Are there depicted any ridgehelmets in the art of the western empire in the first half of the 5th century?
The one from Concesti seems to be an advanced version of the ones from Deurne etc., so might be later. Also the context ( found in a grave of a hunnic warrior) leads to a later dating. Is it the only one with that more "conic" form of the upper part of the helmet?

Spreadsheet Of roman weapon/armor dates of use - Augustus Janus - 11-03-2012

Nice bit of resource material damian, thanks for that link

Jim

Spreadsheet Of roman weapon/armor dates of use - damianlz - 11-03-2012

My pleasure Jim, Sorry for not being able to upload the newer version yet, I'ts been a busy week. Robert Thank you so much for the dates above they were a great help.

Regarding ate roman helemts with the exception of their location differences would they be classified between Intercisa - berkasovo - Spangenhelm varieties or like the imperial helmets would they be broken apart individually? I understand the dataing problem with such helmets, from what I've found (and its nto been much) most seem to pin the ridge helms from 300 - 450, then it moves to a spangenhelm with cheek pieces and aventail untill 6/700 from which point the byzantine helmets seemed to be conicol bowl with either coif or aventail only

Spreadsheet Of roman weapon/armor dates of use - Longovicium - 11-03-2012

Nice work - thanks!