RomanArmyTalk
New Yorker cartoon about reenacting - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: New Yorker cartoon about reenacting (/showthread.php?tid=21574)

Pages: 1 2

New Yorker cartoon about reenacting - Epictetus - 09-25-2012

The New Yorker has a cartoon about reenacting in its current issue. It's not particularly funny, but then again, that's the New Yorker.

[attachment=5260]NewYorkerreenactorcartoon.gif[/attachment]

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/issuecartoons/2012/10/01/cartoons_20120924#slide=11

Now, to complete the stereotype, I'd like to hear all the ways his kit is wrong. ;-)

New Yorker cartoon about reenacting - M. Demetrius - 09-26-2012

Left handed is the most glaring one. The kit errors could be forgiven, since it's a cartoon. Her kit, however, is not even close. :eek: :-D

New Yorker cartoon about reenacting - Vindex - 09-26-2012

I'm pleased they added "humor" in the link as I might have missed it otherwise.

It seems very much like a broken pencil to me...pointless!

New Yorker cartoon about reenacting - D B Campbell - 09-26-2012

Woman: "I went out for some Ajax and came home with Diomedes." :wink:

New Yorker cartoon about reenacting - Vindex - 09-26-2012

Quote:Woman: "I went out for some Ajax and came home with Diomedes." :wink:

At least that's funnier!

New Yorker cartoon about reenacting - Agricola - 09-27-2012

Is there suppose to be some wordplay on 'Peloponnesian' in that cartoon I'm not getting?
Maybe it's supposed to be funny seeing a guy dressed as a hoplite in a modern urban setting?
Or is it just a general light hearted dig at hardcore re-enactors who eat, sleep and drink their hobby?

I seriously don't understand what's supposed to be humorous in this comic, or what point the illustrator is trying to get across.

New Yorker cartoon about reenacting - Titus Manlius Verus - 09-27-2012

The hoplon's a little too small.

At least reenactors have made it to the funnies-one step away from the headlines. Confusedilly:

New Yorker cartoon about reenacting - Agricola - 09-28-2012

As for inaccuracies...perhaps a pilos helmet might be better suited for the Peloponnesian War, rather than a Corinthian. Also the shield looks like it has a boss. The Corinthian helmet looks more like a fifteenth century's Knight helmet with the visor removed.

New Yorker cartoon about reenacting - D B Campbell - 09-28-2012

Woman: "The State Dept recommended a bodyguard for my vacation in Athens."

New Yorker cartoon about reenacting - Flavivs Aetivs - 09-28-2012

D.B. Campbell hit the nail on the head wiht that one :lol:

Our events have been in local headlines here in the US.

New Yorker cartoon about reenacting - Gaius Julius Caesar - 09-28-2012

Quote:D.B. Campbell hit the nail on the head wiht that one :lol:

Our events have been in local headlines here in the US.

Why? Are Greeks attacking foreigners? Wink

New Yorker cartoon about reenacting - Dan D'Silva - 09-28-2012

Quote:Is there suppose to be some wordplay on 'Peloponnesian' in that cartoon I'm not getting?
Maybe it's supposed to be funny seeing a guy dressed as a hoplite in a modern urban setting?
Or is it just a general light hearted dig at hardcore re-enactors who eat, sleep and drink their hobby?

I seriously don't understand what's supposed to be humorous in this comic, or what point the illustrator is trying to get across.
I think it's supposed to be a variation of "Brad's a doctor," "Brad's a plumber," sort of thing, spoken very matter-of-factly, as if how he was dressed wasn't some sort of clue.

Eh, that's the only interpretation I seem to be able to think of.

New Yorker cartoon about reenacting - Flavivs Aetivs - 09-28-2012

We do Principate Roman, it's just that here in the US people think it's exotic and rare (which it is)

New Yorker cartoon about reenacting - Epictetus - 09-28-2012

Quote:Is there suppose to be some wordplay on 'Peloponnesian' in that cartoon I'm not getting?

Yeah, The New Yorker is rather notorious for having cartoons that aren't very funny or don't make a lot of sense. I think they do it on purpose. The Simpsons made fun of it in one episode, if I remember correctly. Homer had a goal of getting a cartoon published, and it ended up being something weird with him riding on someone's back and saying something suitably opaque.

Anyway: I took the cartoon to be one of those awkward "meeting the new boyfriend" moments.

New Yorker cartoon about reenacting - john m roberts - 09-28-2012

I liked the one (I think it was in the New Yorker) labelled, "Cold War Reenactors": A bunch of middle-aged people huddling under school desks.