RomanArmyTalk
The Whole North Into Gaul - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Research Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Roman Military History & Archaeology (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The Whole North Into Gaul (/showthread.php?tid=22674)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

The Journal of Late Antiquity - Flavivs Aetivs - 01-10-2014

So I'm not allowed to re-submit to the JLA without invitation. The work was not invited for re-submission because the JLA does not focus particularly on military topics.

Anyone know of other publications for possible submission? It's too long for Ancient Warfare magazine.

Dr. Lenski reccomended JRMES (but I think that was discontinued), Antiquité Tardive, and also Early Medieval Studies as possibilities.

The Journal of Late Antiquity - Flavivs Aetivs - 01-11-2014

Does anyone know where I can find the lex burgundiorum and the codex of Euric? The reader states that both of these texts have records of this battle as a significant event.

The Journal of Late Antiquity - Epictetus - 01-11-2014

Hey Evan, that was a really good critique they sent and I'm delighted you are still working on it. When thinking about who to submit to next, have you thought of the Journal of Roman Studies?

The Journal of Late Antiquity - Eleatic Guest - 01-11-2014

Quote:Anyone know of other publications for possible submission?

Greece & Rome
Greek, Roman and Byzantine Studies
Historia - Zeitschrift für alte Geschichte
Journal of Medieval History
Klio
Military Affairs
Past and Present
The Classical Journal
The Classical Quarterly
The Classical Review
The Classical Weekly
The Classical World
The Journal of Military History
The Journal of Roman Studies

Try the last one first.

The Journal of Late Antiquity - Thomas V. - 01-11-2014

Quote:Does anyone know where I can find the lex burgundiorum [...]?

Hello Evan,

is this [hide]http://www.dmgh.de/de/fs1/object/display/bsb00000853_meta:titlePage.html?sortIndex=020:020:0002:010:01:00[/hide] the text you are looking for?

Regards,

Thomas

The Journal of Late Antiquity - D B Campbell - 01-11-2014

Quote:Does anyone know where I can find the lex burgundiorum and the codex of Euric?
Codex Euricianus also in MGH: http://www.dmgh.de/de/fs1/object/display/bsb00000852_meta:titlePage.html.

@DB Campbell

Your link didn't seem to work.

@Thomas V.

Thanks! The Lex Visigothorum is also there, which is great.

Now I have to figure out how to read it! :lol: Seriously though parts of it are in German and my Latin is only at a high school level... better get to work.

The Journal of Late Antiquity - Renatus - 01-11-2014

Quote:@DB Campbell

Your link didn't seem to work.
That's strange; it worked for me. The Codex Euricianus is amongst the Leges Visigothorum.

I couldn't see the link the first time. It works now.

Would you consider the Battle of Chalons worth an entire book? My Dad suggested doing it but I would have to find and devote a larger number of resources to it.

Quote:Now I have to figure out how to read it! :lol: Seriously though parts of it are in German and my Latin is only at a high school level... better get to work.
There exists an English version of the Lex Burgundionum. A huge part of it is readable via Google Books.

Quote:Now I have to figure out how to read it! :lol: Seriously though parts of it are in German and my Latin is only at a high school level... better get to work.
There exists an English version of the Lex Lurgundionum. A huge part of it is readable via Google Books.

An English version of the Leges Visigothorum is also available.

The section on the Battle of the Mauriac Plain is under the Lex Gundobada and is not available in the Translation. I know where it is now so I'm gonna look at the latin version.

Pg. 55 XVII. De causis aliis et calumniarum remotione

[1] Omnes omnino causae, quae inter Burgundiones habitae sunt et non sunt finitae usque ad pugnam Mauriacensum, habeantur abolitae

Quote:The section on the Battle of the Mauriac Plain is under the Lex Gundobada and is not available in the Translation. I know where it is now so I'm gonna look at the latin version.

Pg. 55 XVII. De causis aliis et calumniarum remotione

[1] Omnes omnino causae, quae inter Burgundiones habitae sunt et non sunt finitae usque ad pugnam Mauriacensum, habeantur abolitae

It is available in the translation (or do you mean the Google Books preview only?).

"1. All cases which involve Burgundians and which were not completed before the Battle of Chalons are declared dismissed."

Source: [hide]http://www.law.harvard.edu/faculty/cdonahue/courses/CLH/mats/MAT13CLH.03.pdf[/hide] (p.29).

What's interesting about that is why is it a deliminating year? The Battle was important, but it's surprising that it was important enough to be included in barbarian law.

Is it possible that after success at the Battle the Catalaunian plains, the Burgundians on Attila's side were incorporated into the Burgundian Foederati (Under Gundioc) around Aventicum?

I'd imagine that due to their proximity and a large chance of success, they may have expected land in Gaul from Attila in return for their service, and after the defeat could have followed Gundioc back to Sapaudia.

My reasoning for this is because if you had two separate groupings of Burgundians combining, many conflicting cases could have occurred and it would explain why all cases prior to the Battle of Chalons suddenly became obsolete.

Quote:
Magister Militum Flavius Aetius post=349271 Wrote:Anyone know of other publications for possible submission?

Greece & Rome
Greek, Roman and Byzantine Studies
Historia - Zeitschrift für alte Geschichte
Journal of Medieval History
Klio
Military Affairs
Past and Present
The Classical Journal
The Classical Quarterly
The Classical Review
The Classical Weekly
The Classical World
The Journal of Military History
The Journal of Roman Studies

Try the last one first.

I should note that I was unable to download the Submission guide to the JRS, I will try again later.