RomanArmyTalk
Nerw Addictrion - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Recreational Arena (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Nerw Addictrion (/showthread.php?tid=23162)

Pages: 1 2

Nerw Addictrion - Vindex - 09-26-2013

The Centre for Horseback Combat in Hertfordshire, UK have some seriously good horses!

Nerw Addictrion - Robert - 09-26-2013

Brilliant action shot! Now all you need is a horsequiver :-)

Nerw Addictrion - 66kbm - 09-26-2013

I think I could do this.....fun anyway.
Kevin

Nerw Addictrion - Flavivs Aetivs - 09-26-2013

I've always enjoyed archery, and the horse is an interesting animal. Cool shot!

Nerw Addictrion - Michael Kerr - 09-27-2013

Have you mastered the “Parthian shot" yet? :-) Good pic & does look like fun. But a little bit scary when not holding reins at speed.
Regards
Mick Kerr

Nerw Addictrion - Vindex - 09-27-2013

Did the Parthian shot on foot but did not manage it from a canter on the horse as the run was strictly controlled for safety reasons. The horses also know when to pull up LOL!

Robert, I have a quiver and I'll spend the winter getting my new pony used to it and the bow because we are most certainly going to have a go at thisSmile

The technique taught at the centre is Korean thumb draw as that is what is required for competitions, hence the run and close targets - we were under the rules for the canter runs.

Nerw Addictrion - Robert - 09-27-2013

Ah, OK, I get it! I read an article on horse back archery ( Yabusame ) and understand the restrictions. I had not realised this is what they taught. Oh well, you can always adapt you style, as the basic skills do not change much. The Pathian shot may be easier using a Roman style saddle anyway. Keep us posted and have loads of fun :-)

Nerw Addictrion - 66kbm - 04-19-2014

Bumping this thread along,
I have 8 days till I attend the above course on horseback archery Confusedhock: .
If no one hears from me ifor 6 months, then I am still in traction in a hospital.
Should be great fun as I have a "Jedi Master" to guide me through, Moi, don't let me down.
Kevin

Maybee I can loose my "Moobs" avatar and get a good one like Moi.

Nerw Addictrion - Alanus - 04-19-2014

This is really neat stuff! :woot:

I'd love to do it, but I'm on the wrong side of the Pond, and I'm also in my 70s. I'm looking into the Korean thumb draw... which appears to be what the Sarmatians also used. I want a real thumb ring, not a leather one, but they're hard to find. :dizzy:

Nerw Addictrion - Robert - 04-20-2014

Just out of curiosity, but what is a real thumbring made of?

Nerw Addictrion - Titvs Statilivs Castvs - 04-20-2014

Quote:This is really neat stuff! :woot:

I'd love to do it, but I'm on the wrong side of the Pond, and I'm also in my 70s. I'm looking into the Korean thumb draw... which appears to be what the Sarmatians also used. I want a real thumb ring, not a leather one, but they're hard to find. :dizzy:

Grozer has bronze and horn, but I am not aware of the historical materials and I don't know whether or not the form is all correct (not explicitly doubting it - I just haven't got a clue).

Nerw Addictrion - Vindex - 04-20-2014

Alan

The Centre where I learn teach Korean thumb draw but not with a ring - it is literally then first knuckle of the thumb which draws the string. It is a very efficient, economical movement after the arrow has been knocked.

Nerw Addictrion - Alanus - 04-21-2014

Back to EVERYONE,

Original thumb rings were made from horn and bronze. I believe bronze ones have been found in Britain. Horn ones have been found on the steppe, India, and at Duro Europa. The Manchu revised the thumb ring into a large normal-shaped ring made from stone, usually jade. Eventually these rings became a status symbol, and emperors wore them.

I get a kick out of this topic-- "New Addiction." Lajos Kassai has been a guru of mounted archery for 20 years, and the Koreans have been doing it for a decade or more. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mongols aren't doing it. Here in the US, there's a mounted archery school in Texas and another in the Cascade Mountains. I think there's a big competition each year at Fort Dodge, and even native Americans participate... still riding with no saddle. ;-)

Nerw Addictrion - 66kbm - 04-28-2014

After lots of hurt and endless fun I must admit, as a non rider, that I enjoyed this course immensely.
Having several people constantly giving me advice was very helpful.
If you are in the UK I would recommend to both riders and non riders.
Many thanks to Moi and her friend Ann, both of which I attended the course with.
Sooooo.....next time any of you think shooting a bow from a horse is easy.....well, just take the course and get put in your place....Smile
Kevin
[attachment=9717]666.jpg[/attachment]
Me with my "minder" as a non horse rider.

Nerw Addictrion - Vindex - 04-29-2014

Kevin fails to mention he won the three target shoot out at the end of the day! (And I think I only hit one target!!)

It really is a great way to spend a day with friends (and I will NOT add the Merry Men photo...)