RomanArmyTalk
Woman as Syrian archers, or in any miles role - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Woman as Syrian archers, or in any miles role (/showthread.php?tid=24523)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Woman as Syrian archers, or in any miles role - richsc - 08-03-2015

I posted an interesting photo of a all female group of Spanish women doing Syrian archer impressions, and in talking with the leader, Carmen Martin, thought it a good idea to start a FB group specifically for women: "Women in Roman and Ancient Reenacting" if you're interested. Closed group, so you have to ask.

It seems I have caused the 2nd collapse of the Roman empire, at least from several group leader comments. The debate spans national cultures and laws but has generated a lot of discussion about women and the purpose of reenacting generally. If you are on FB you should check out the very long threads in FB RAT, and perhaps apply to join the WIRAAR.

For the RAT admins, I was thinking this new group could be considered a satellite to RAT.

Woman as Syrian archers: an entire unit of them - Flavivs Aetivs - 08-03-2015

My opinion has always been that the caveat of women reenactors should follow whatever the individual group they intend to join's rules are.

The rule I hold for the PVF is that women cannot do combat roles, because I intend for us late Romans to reach the pinnacle of historical accuracy. Female reenactors are welcome though, although I sincerely doubt I would be bringing any to an event any time soon. Tongue

Considering I really don't do any moderator activity on FB RAT I don't think I'll be joining this satellite group, but it's a good idea IMO.

Might I recommend this thread be renamed though, considering we're discussing women reenactment in general, not the Syrian archers specifically?

Woman as Syrian archers: an entire unit of them - richsc - 08-03-2015

Yes, that's a good idea about the title. I should add you to it on FB.

You might read the Legio IV Macedonica secretary's notes on Spanish law. And while you are young enough to be a good represenation (and one of their groups is a really good 24 yr old miles: perfect Republican) as the Spanish guy (an archaeologist) points out too many of us are too old, too fat, too out of shape to be any thing like a real Roman. Not to mention the entire cultural thing.

Woman as Syrian archers: an entire unit of them - Crispianus - 08-04-2015

It may not be up to the individual groups entirely, for example if a museum or display organiser etc stipulates 20 Historically accurate Roman Legionaries expecting to get men and they get women instead how much of a problem would this be?

From my own part I have no problem with gender in re-enactment, bring on the Women I say... all the groups I've belonged to in the past have had Women Combatants in any case....

And after all as has already been said many men don't look the part... age or looking older though is I think not one of problems, not from looks in any case, if your grey, wrinkled and
weather beaten doesn't matter at all as long as your a lean, mean fighting machine... or at least can give the impression of one....

It should perhaps be remembered that the majority of people in the past would have been involved in manual labour for most of their lives, this is not the same as body building...
And this includes Roman soldiers, strong and fit with good endurance should likely be the goal not shape or looks...
My suggestion would be regular training sessions in full kit on a weekly basis at least and exercise every other day out of kit...

Woman as Syrian archers, or in any miles role - Robert Vermaat - 08-04-2015

If people worry about women reenacting men's roles, well, there are far more problems with men doing a bad job reenacting men's roles (in FAR bigger numbers), not to mention groups looking awful (or movies looking worse!). the rest is hubris.

As for that group being another satellite for RAT, I'd have make a negative advice. We already have one satellite, that's the RAT group on FB. Let every other group be just that, and operate under it's own name and rules.

Woman as Syrian archers, or in any miles role - richsc - 08-04-2015

I set up RAT on Facebook when I realized anyone could set it up and take control, and I wanted to pre empt that.

Woman as Syrian archers, or in any miles role - Crispianus - 08-04-2015

Is there a copyright on RAT or how about Roman Army Talk, or Roman Auxiliary Talk, Roman Archer Talk etc, etc, etc.... if not then. theoretically anyone could open a forum called RAT...
I think though that opening effectively competing Forums under the same or a slightly differing banner is not really a good idea...

Personally I think Roman groups should be thinking more on the lines of integration rather then segregation in gender roles, historically accurate or not, that is of course unless your undertaking some form of historical experiment.....

Woman as Syrian archers, or in any miles role - Flavivs Aetivs - 08-04-2015

On the point of men being bad reenactors, yeah this is a pretty big issue. There's three of us in Legio VI who could actually fit the part: me, Noah, and Col. Mike. Josh would too if he wasn't so tall...

I think the military crowd is usually what reenactment caters to, but it's usually ex-military, and not all of them are as lean and mean as they used to be.

So considering how terrible most men are at fitting the part, you might as well have women in those roles too.

Woman as Syrian archers, or in any miles role - Crispianus - 08-04-2015

Well I would think for most people its supposed to be Fun :wink:

How tall is Josh?, I dont see this as an issue as there are very tall men from the era, I myself am over 2m but still the Xanten Allendales are too big... :grin:

Woman as Syrian archers, or in any miles role - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-04-2015

:-o :o :-o

What???. Women in Reenacting???? Call out the praetorian guard!!!!!

Yes I saw the original groups posting of this. My only objection to their impression was the overly HUGE helmets they have been equipped with, otherwise they look excellent as a company of archers. Perhaps deepeeka will make a slightly smaller version of this helmet one day.

Woman as Syrian archers, or in any miles role - richsc - 08-04-2015

On the helmets, I think Deepeeka has a conical form since one of the Gallic helmets is also huge. I have a size 8 head and it slipped over my ears. I think it became a votive offering.
I have Sam Aggarwal attending our workshop on Aug 15, so I'll ping him about creating a smaller helmet form for that type of helmet.

Woman as Syrian archers, or in any miles role - Vindex - 08-04-2015

I can cope with most things except anachronisms such as modern wedding rings, tattoos and - most commonly - spectacles - worn by either sex.

(And if any one mentions the tattoo in "Gladiator" - as if Roman soldiers were members of the modern British Parachute Regiment with their wings on their arms (or any country's special forces for that matter) - I will probably offer them violence...just sayin')

Woman as Syrian archers, or in any miles role - Alanus - 08-04-2015

As far as I know, there were no historical women Syrian archers. Period.
All I'll ask is this, "Why not REAL women archers?" I mean the Totally Real ones. One would think that a group of intelligent, historicity-bent, women would start a group called Sarmatian Women Archers. That idea, of course, is too simple, too realistic, considering the three millenniae of millions of Scythian, Saka, Sauromatae, Sargat, Wusun, Sarmatian, and Alanic, women who were actually archers. :whistle: Cool

Woman as Syrian archers, or in any miles role - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-04-2015

You mean, they had wimins back in the olden days too?? :-o

Woman as Syrian archers, or in any miles role - Densus - 08-04-2015

Quote:You mean, they had wimins back in the olden days too?? :-o

Yes, but they had beards so it was harder to tell.