RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Marcus Mummius - 10-21-2008

We should have a meeting of all the eleventh legions some time!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Virilis - 10-21-2008

Quote:We should have a meeting of all the eleventh legions some time!

What`s so special with the eleventh :wink: !?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Tita Iuventia Martia - 10-22-2008

Avete,
Luca: thank you for your answers :-) ) But, may I ask you about lorica musculata once more ? Is it made of leather or bronze? It looks indeed great!

Pivus: Nice impression!! May ask you what period does your group portray? from what I could have noticed, you are wearing imperial Galic G helmet on photo but I am not sure about your gladius type? Is it Mainz or Pompei type? I have to say that your scabbard looks great! I also noticed your cornucen (on picture) bearing a parma shield with nice pattern :-) -) )

I would be also happy to help you with your Roman soldiers impression. So, You can ask me, If you will need help :-) )

Longus: Nice impression, good work!! Can I ask you, which period does your group portray?

vale and best regards from Prague to all :-) )

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - pivus - 10-22-2008

Tita Iuventia Martia

Quote:May ask you what period does your group portray?
60-90 years.

Is it Pompei type.
[Image: 98f7e5a23a67.jpg]
&
[Image: cd5dce43423f.jpg]

[Image: f45b6a8b8d8f.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 10-23-2008

Pivus, I sent you a PM about your real name. Please take action.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 10-23-2008

Quote:60-90 years.
[Image: f45b6a8b8d8f.jpg]

May I ask why you're waering greaves. I don't think a ordinary flavian soldier would wear those.

Second, as on the picture your gladius isn't secured enough. This could be done to wear your cingulum over your balteus cum gladius, so u your gladius will be (and stay) closer to your body. Just a little note. Overall a nice impression and good to see you practice trowing your pila!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - pivus - 10-23-2008

Quote:May I ask why you're waering greaves. I don't think a ordinary flavian soldier would wear those.
greaves have at soldiers appeared later?
[Image: db3d19c584a9.jpg]
[Image: 907ad97e9ad3.jpg]

On it a my photo yet has not made cingulum.
Quote:This could be done to wear your cingulum over your balteus cum gladius, so u your gladius will be (and stay) closer to your body.
Has understood.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Marcus Mummius - 10-23-2008

Wearing your balteus over your shoulder belt for the gladius seems to be a reenactor invention. A lot of original depictions of Roman soldiers show the shoulder belt to be free hanging... So the way you wear it certainly isn't incorrect.

There is a lot of discussion over the wearing of greaves in the 1st century AD... Not a lot of hard evidence but seeing the legs are so important and vurnerable...

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Aurelianus - 10-23-2008

I think If you use an imperial scutum there is need just for one grave not two. The second one is a "nice to have" but "not that important".

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Peroni - 10-24-2008

Quote:I think If you use an imperial scutum there is need just for one grave not two

Tropeum Traiani - greaves with the so-called 'Augustan' curved-sided shield :wink:

Many shield types seem to have been used contemporarily.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Craig Gascoigne - 10-26-2008

Last Weekend for Sydney Ancients

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Craig Gascoigne - 10-26-2008

Another of our weekend

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Tita Iuventia Martia - 10-27-2008

Salve,
very nice republican impression Smile
May I ask you which century does your group portray? It is difficult to see much past your shields. :wink: Could you post some other photos?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Craig Gascoigne - 10-27-2008

Radka
We run from 2nd Punic war to just before Marius. Though we have had some new members who started with imperial and are now slowly getting their republican kit together.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Tita Iuventia Martia - 10-27-2008

Ave Craig,
thank you for your answer and a nice photo :-) -) -) ) NICE WORK, GOOD LUCK FOR YOU AND YOUR SOLDIERS!!

but may I have one question about helmets? I noticed Montefortino type, am I right?

gods with you :-) )

best regards from Prague