RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Craig Gascoigne - 10-27-2008

Radka

Yes most the helmets are monti's/coolus various forms,one imperial gallic (New member getting kit together), One etru-corinthian and One straw hat (New member)

Thanks for your interest

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - A_Volpe - 10-27-2008

Craig

Good stuff!

Where did you get your bronze pectoral plates, or, how did you make them?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Craig Gascoigne - 10-27-2008

Andy

Some pectoral from manning imperial others home made by members.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Lucius Duccius Rufinus - 11-17-2008

Here is a terrible photo i found on Flickr of me at the Wickerman 2008 at Archaeolink. I'm looking pretty terrible, it was FREEZING cold (not that thats anything new for Scotland, but when you have no Bracchae it can be hell of a chillly! (i guess us scots are use to going bear legged, if you can belive that we all go about in kilts ALL the time Tongue )

[Image: 3010342813_92ecd6d3d8.jpg]

Would have looked better if i had my helmet on + had my eyes open, will post more pictures from this event tonight

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 11-17-2008

Have a look at this article.

http://www.romanarmy.net/coldweather.htm

Crispvs

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 11-17-2008

Well, Crispus, we in the ninth definately do not proscribe to the view that legionaries never dressed for cold weather...And if you recall from the last lunt event, I don't in the XIIIIth either! :lol:

Poor Lucius just got caught with his braccae down(or rather the pair he was going to use dissappeared) :roll:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Lucius Duccius Rufinus - 11-17-2008

Quote: but when you have no Bracchae it can be hell of a chillly!t

didnt say we didnt wear, more just ment i didnt have a pair.. as Byron points out my pair went AWOL!...(bloody celts!)

Byron,

Seeing as I am the one who has been trying to encourage people to be equipped for cold weather for the last three or four years it pleases me to see that a number of member of the group are now thinking about cold weather kit. However, if Lucius' trousers went missing then I am sorry for his material loss bu the fact that he was not wearing them is fine with me. The present terminus anti quem for legionaries in Femenalia is the Trajan's first Dacian campaign, forty to fifty years AFTER the period the rest of our kit marks us out as portraying. Therefore he should not have been wearing them in the first place and neither should you have been.

If you read my article on cold weather clothing (which is based on research rather than modern conceptions of 'common sense') you will see that there are perfectly adequate ways to stop youself getting cold which the Romans certainly used, which have been tested by myself and others and found to be perfectly adequate for the job. If you expect to be cold then put on two woollen tunics, as the Roman would have done. Again, if you think you might be cold, put on (accurate) socks and / or lower leg coverings. You will be amazed at the difference they make. Don't resort to trousers, even if you have paid someone to make some for you - there is simply no evidence for their use by the common soldiery in our period. Maybe in a year's time some evidence will turn up for their use in the mid first century. If it does I shall be very pleased. Until that time however, wearing trousers is the equivilent of wearing a modern kevlar helmet with a set of World War Two battle dress and should be avoided.

Crispvs

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Caballo - 11-17-2008

"Until that time however, wearing trousers is the equivilent of wearing a modern kevlar helmet with a set of World War Two battle dress and should be avoided. "

Even for us barbaric auxilaries, frater Crispus?

If you read the article again you will see that I was referring to legionaries there. I have no objection to auxilia wearing trousers, as the auxilia often came from places where trousers were normal and expected wear.

Crispvs

So when was Trajans Campaign? 98 - 117ad?
Since we actually portray a time range from the invasion through to Mons Graupius period onto 140-150AD, it can't be all that out of period?

2 tunics...on! Smile
I would very much like to see the actual evidence of when feminalia were introduced to the Legions, please.

I can't see how you can get much more authentic than naalbound socks? They are pretty comfortable, the boots are first Cent, tha gladius is first cent, the seg is first - second cent, the helmet is first century, the pugio is first century! If you want to come up here and freeze your A$$
off, you are more than welcome my friend! Big Grin We always welcome extra bodies! Then you can help me do the earlier leg wrappings...

"And since we actually portray a time range from the invasion through to Mons Graupius period onto 140-150AD, it can't be that out of period?"

Actually, although the groups promotional material used to say this, it was demostrated several years ago that we do not an cannot portray a one hundred year period of development at the same time.

The AD50 - 150 timeframe was laid to rest long ago. A quick examination of virtually all of our equipment demonstrates us to portray soldiers of roughly the AD40s to 60s. Our belts and helmets say this more loudly than anything else. If anyone tells you that we portray a period of AD50 - 150 then I suggest you take that with an extremely generous pinch of salt as that person has obviously not realised that the second 'R' in RMRS actually stands for 'research'.

Regards

Crispvs

Quote:"And since we actually portray a time range from the invasion through to Mons Graupius period onto 140-150AD, it can't be that out of period?"

Actually, although the groups promotional material used to say this, it was demostrated several years ago that we do not an cannot portray a one hundred year period of development at the same time.

The AD50 - 150 timeframe was laid to rest long ago. A quick examination of virtually all of our equipment demonstrates us to portray soldiers of roughly the AD40s to 60s. Our belts and helmets say this more loudly than anything else. If anyone tells you that we portray a period of AD50 - 150 then I suggest you take that with an extremely generous pinch of salt as that person has obviously not realised that the second 'R' in RMRS actually stands for 'research'.

Regards

Crispvs

It is the ninth I refer to!

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound too harsh. Don't forget though the the first century lasted for 100 years and a lot changes in that time.
Naalbound socks will be perfect by the way. If you want fascia of the leg binding type, I believe our friend Peronis can help, by the way. If you want fascia of the leg wrapping type, you will have to do this yourself but I can advise if you wish. Whichever you decide on, I assure you you will not regret them in cold weather.

Crispvs

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Lucius Duccius Rufinus - 11-18-2008

[Image: 132446802a9446631345l.jpg]

Slightly better picture of me in my gear... not much can be said for my facials!! (probably gritting my teeth because it was so damn cold.. dont let the sun fool you!)

Crispvs, thanks for your input, but as Byron points out we do portray a slightly later period than that of the 14th... it goes from around 84AD when the battle of Mons Graupius was fought to around 200 AD when Septimius Severus visited scotland. (could possibly even later than that!)

so the use of Bracchae is acceptable imo... And i think the romans would have used whatever they could have to keep theirselves warm, if they thought England was cold, they would surely have frozen to death in scotland (especially during the winter, when those photos are taken (last month).