RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Smithy - 03-03-2009

It will be as perfect as possible for training, I am getting some Wire wool and sorting my helmet out when I reach my nan's tommorow, I have allot to make up for in the kit department.
Smithy.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Hraban - 03-03-2009

Thanks guys. Smile

@Peroni:
Great impression. I always like those golden-looking squamatas.
What amazes me about the different impressions is, that they look so... real. Confusedhock:

Cheers,

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - M. Demetrius - 03-03-2009

Me, too. And there is some serious conversation that many of the articles of our reenactor gear are actually better made than the originals that the Romans had at their disposal. Amazing, isn't it? I wonder what the relative costs are...that is, how many months' labor would it take for a ___________ today and then. It's very likely cheaper now, too.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Renius - 03-03-2009

Peroni,
Excellent impression and a great looking group of Batavians.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Theodosius the Great - 03-03-2009

Agraes,

Very nice colors. I haven't seen an oval shield like yours that curves the way it does.
Your time period is close to one I'm focusing on at the moment (sixth century) Smile . Looks like
you're wearing a seax ? How are the straps secured to the scabbard ? (rivets, laces ?)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hraban, you're off to a better start than I had. You even have appropriate boots. Very nice. I'm glad as well to see a new Late Roman join the ranks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peroni,

Great impressions ! Your 2nd century belt is interesting, I don't recognize the design. It isn't a 'FELIX' belt is it ?

I like how your brass greaves match your squamata too. May I ask what size plates you used to make your shirt ? I'm almost done making my own and it will also be for an Auxiliary impression. (My plates measure 4.5 cm by 2 cm).

~Theo

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 03-03-2009

Very welcome Peronis, You were looking the business, and it was really great to see so many Batiavians on saturday!
I enjoyed the spectacle!
BTW, I will probably need to return the boots, a bit too big, size 8's available?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Agraes - 03-03-2009

Adrian, that's a really impressive kit!

Theo, thanks you for the comment, it's not me perse but one of my fellow Letavi miles, Catuuatal/Vincent.

Here a close-up of the seax and its scabbard:

[Image: file.php?id=60]

For people who inquired about the size of the seax (50cm blade and 20cm for handle so yes that's quite long...), PM me if you want to see the sources.
You know how it is, the longer... Not a problem for me, I got a spatha!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Peroni - 03-04-2009

Quote:Great impressions ! Your 2nd century belt is interesting, I don't recognize the design. It isn't a 'FELIX' belt is it ?

I like how your brass greaves match your squamata too. May I ask what size plates you used to make your shirt ? I'm almost done making my own and it will also be for an Auxiliary impression. (My plates measure 4.5 cm by 2 cm).

The belt uses a buckle and hinge plate from Newstead (Trimontium) and a 'trompettenmuster' type plate found all along the limes. They compliment each other quite nicely.

The scales on the DSC shirts are 25mm x 15mm x 0.3mm. Average size.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - pivus - 03-04-2009

Peroni
Great impressions Big Grin
Very ...very nice.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 03-04-2009

Hi Gregor,
Quote:The cloak and the spear are loaned from a friend plus the tunic is made of linen as I couldn't get any off-white wool at the time and the linen was cheap. It is made after an egyptian tunic in "Roman Military Clothing (2)", which is probably more of a 3rd century style whereas belt and helmet are 4th century.
So what's wrong with a linen tunic, that's just fine. the design isn't wrong, either, maybe the sleeves could be narrower (which you can alter with a sewing machine in 10 minutes). A spearhead can be bought without great cost, i think the only really missing item is the shield.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Hraban - 03-05-2009

Hi,

Well, thanks Robert.
I always thought, that the tunic should be made of wool not linen, so I felt a little unsure about it. I'm working on a shield right now. Without I' m starting to feel a little... naked. :? lol:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Julius Verax - 03-05-2009

Peroni ,
Fantastic Impression mate and a great looking bunch of Batavians .

Well Done to all of you .

Julius .

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Dan from Britannia - 03-05-2009

Hraban... still an excellent effort for a first-time kit mate.

From this point on it's a case of fine adjustments (as detailed as you want to go).
But this is an excellent forum for honest & polite tips on kit improvement. Smile

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - texascavtrooper - 03-08-2009

Ok guys here is my first attempt at a Roman soldier. Don't laugh to hard! :oops: Confusedhock:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Caballo - 03-08-2009

Looking a lot better than my first impression- good stuff!