RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-28-2010

[Image: DSCF0063-1.jpg]

Hmmmm, I smell Caledonians! :x

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - John Conyard - 06-28-2010

Good luck amongst the northern barbarians!

Looking good!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Astiryu1 - 06-28-2010

Your fence in the background is something that needs to be reinforced! Confusedhock: :lol: Otherwise nice photo.
btw... What does Caledonian smell like? Big Grin

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 06-28-2010

A brave batavian auxilia soldier...

[Image: batavian2.jpg]

How well does that kit handle? Especially the Spear and shield. The coloring is very unique. I like it.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 06-28-2010

pretty well. I like hasta and clipeus over scutum and pilum, actually.

And thanks for the comments of the design of my subarmalis. I'm really please with it. The colors are just right and as I ever have the impression we have to little color in Roman re-enactment, I like the design.

A "hasta" looks more along my lines of weaponry too. That's why I asked! If I ever do a Roman reenactment that is my period. The squamata is some of my favorite armor as well.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Paullus Scipio - 06-28-2010

From its size, the weapon in question is more the dual-purpose short spear/lancea, than the longer Hasta....

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Astiryu1 - 06-29-2010

I shall do some more research on both. Any pointers to start?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 06-29-2010

Quote:From its size, the weapon in question is more the dual-purpose short spear/lancea, than the longer Hasta....

Thats an interesting comment. Where do you base that one. I got the impression that Hastae (for infantry use) and Lancea are in the same lenght range, but they mainly differ in shaft thickness. I've also 2 lancea which are also about 2 meters in length, but a thinner shaft and therefore more for throwing than for pushing.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Paullus Scipio - 06-29-2010

I have always thought that 'hasta' ( generic spear) was the latin equivalent of the greek 'dory'/great spear, which may be defined as a large/long thrusting spear 7-9 ft long, and it is used in our sources as such. The 'lancea' is the same as, and derives from, the Greek 'longche', a shorter ( 5-7 ft) dual purpose throwing/thrusting spear, also used as a hunting spear 'par excellence', and frequently carried in pairs, both on foot and mounted.

Javelins, pure missile weapons, are smaller still at 3-5 ft, with, as you say, thinner shafts, generally a 'fat finger' thickness.... and often a throwing thong ( amentum)....

Of course, there may well be an overlap - for example there are a bewildering number of sizes and shapes for 'spearheads'.......so this classification is approximate....

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-29-2010

My hasta is a bout 7' long....I know I have to tilt it to fit in the door anyway....but I also thought the same 7' - 9'.
It's very hard to find 7' - 9' ash shafts though...I've been trying to find a local source of argicultural tool suppliers in my area and silche so far.
Actually, very hard to find wood shafts period that do not have modern lacuers and plastic attachments.

I like the feel of the hasta too, but still prefer the scutums' all around protection.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Astiryu1 - 06-29-2010

I would check for suppliers and failing that (which is most likely) ask a local cabinet maker where he gets his material. Often you have to make a minimum order so if you know a Carpenter he might help you out with getting shafts. (and lathe them no doubt). At least that is what I have found.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 06-29-2010

we got ours from a company who makes masts for ships and flags. They turned them in the type of wood we wanted, but we had to order a minimum amount. You can ask Robert Wimmers is he has some left Wink

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 06-29-2010

Thanks.