RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - ioannes sebald - 10-04-2010

Quote:More later manica examples:-

- the 4th century column of Arcadius
- Ammianus “Laminarum circuli tenues apti
corporis flexibus ambiebant per omnia membra diducti.” (Thin circles of iron plates, fitted to the curves of their bodies, completely covered their limbs).
- the Alba Iulia relief.
-Iron manica found in Northern Britannia in 4th century context, written up by Mike Bishop

This article may be useful (or not) http://www.romanarmy.net/manica.htm :oops:
Northern Britannia...is that the one found at one of the A66 signal towers?.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Medicus matt - 10-07-2010

Quote:I think that's called a Challenger tank. :wink:

I think it's called a dustbin, Robert. :twisted:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Paul Elliott - 10-09-2010

A recent attempt at recreating the 200AD Severan period, when new belts were introduced, new oval shields and long sleeved tunics and trousers became the norm; but where pila and rectangular scuta continued in use... its one of those transition eras, like 280-300AD.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - gneuspartak - 10-09-2010

Paul Elliott
I see we have similar interest :wink:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Vindex - 10-09-2010

Quote:This article may be useful (or not) http://www.romanarmy.net/manica.htm :oops:

Very useful, thank you!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Paul Elliott - 10-09-2010

Hi Denis, it's great to see another 3rd century fan out there, and in Russia of all places! I can see all your influences... on the tunic, and your phalera. Do you have a shield?

Excellent. I will look at your website a bit more, and link to it, if you do not mind.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - gneuspartak - 10-10-2010

Paul!
I’ll be very glad If you link to my website or facebook !
Unfortunately, I still don’t has a shield.
The development of my collection has been stopped. Sad
I hope I’ll be continue anyway Smile

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - John Conyard - 10-10-2010

The sheer amount of evidence from the 3rd century perhaps makes it the most satisfying to reconstruct. I would be interested in seeing iconographic evidence showing the dagger worn with the sword, but we all like carrying lots of weapons.

This assemblage owes a great deal to the Straubing Hoard, the cavalry sports, and the Comitatus fabrica.

[attachment=0:1tprni2q]<!-- ia0 3rd century on a very hot day.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:1tprni2q]

The chamfron consists of three panels joined by two long hinges. A naked Mars dominates the central panel which tampers slightly towards the base. The side plates have flying Victories around the top, snakes curving around the eye-guards and the Dioscuri with their horses near the lower edge. The horse also wears a silvered breastplate.

The cavalry sports greeves, ocreae, have detached knee guards hinged to the greaves, elaborate bossing with a silvered background, and cover the ankles. A naked Mars can be seen on the left greeve.

The painting on the parade shield is loosely based on fragments of a preserved painted circular leather shield facing, found in Egypt, now on display in Trier. The umbo is from the ex Guttman collection showing Minerva, in tinned copper alloy.

The rider wears a well upholstered auxiliary cavalry helmet from the early 3rd century, and flexible scale armour. The helmet padding was causing large amounts of sweat to colour the broad baldric holding the pattern welded spatha. On this very hot day linen trousers and tunic are worn, with a well built pair of typical 3rd century boots with integral laces.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 10-14-2010

Looking very impressive John. Hope to be able to show something similar in a few years Big Grin

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - nicus maximus - 10-21-2010

Dear members,

This is my representation of a first century legionair. Since I am only 12, the lorica segmentata has been made by hand.

[Image: nicus102010.jpg]

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - M. Demetrius - 10-21-2010

Way to go! That's a lot better than many I've seen on considerably older people. Good job. You can march with us any time, Brother Nicus.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - nicus maximus - 10-21-2010

Dear Mr Demetrius,

Thank you for your nice comments.

Since I am only 12, I am officially not allowed to carry a blade. Law here says, I have to be 16. But in theme parcs, I can go in full dress.

Should your group ever come to the Netherlands, I would be priveledged to march with you and yours, Sir.

Semper fidelis et patria defendum

Nicus

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 10-21-2010

Indeed, very well done! I'm sure you're going to be a great re-enactor! Keep up the good work and enjoy your kit.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - nicus maximus - 10-22-2010

Quote:Indeed, very well done! I'm sure you're going to be a great re-enactor! Keep up the good work and enjoy your kit.

Dear Mr Jvrjenivs,

Thank you for your nice comments.

The next step will be to make a fitting cingulum. As you may have seen, the belt has already been cut. The brass plating and leather apron still have to be made.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Franklin - 10-25-2010

Quote:Latest addition in use: manica. I swear I'm not going to add more armour. Big Grin

Robert, don't make promises you know you can't keep.