RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - John Conyard - 06-29-2011

Paul, your son doesn't look as tall as you! Tell him he has some growing to do :lol:

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Caballo - 06-29-2011

Too right...all my sons are shorter than I am.....must be the Welsh genes coming out!

And looking good, Domitius. Where are the chest protectors from?

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Virilis - 06-30-2011

"Credo in spatham" (waiting for the Berkasovo helmet)...

[Image: credo.jpg]

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 06-30-2011

Quote:"Credo in spatham" (waiting for the Berkasovo helmet)...
Nice!! Surely you have more helmets? Big Grin Or a scutum?

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Paul Elliott - 06-30-2011

Quote:[Image: 951491Seb.png]

Dateline early 3rd century (pre-260AD)? I like it. Though I would recommend you lengthen your sleeves. One way to do this is use the 'join' as an opportunity to sew on one or two cuff bands of pinkish/purple/red/black decoration.

Nice Heddernheim helmet too!

BTW: Where did you find the inspiration for your shield decoration?

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Graham Sumner - 06-30-2011

Hi Sébastien

Like Paul Elliot I like to see third century Impressions too, so great to look at another. As he suggests I too would say the sleeves of the tunic should be longer and should have tight fitting cuffs as in Jyrki's post above. The tunic could also have some of the simple decoration which begins to appear at that date such as bands on cuff sleeves and clavi which features arrow motifs.

Also all the sources from that period are very clear that tight fitting trousers should be worn. Without surviving paint on the tombstones one could argue that sometimes bare legs are indicated so there is no suggestion of baggy trousers.

If you need more details of third century clothing I would be pleased to help.

Best wishes.

Graham.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Virilis - 06-30-2011

Quote:
Virilis post=290927 Wrote:"Credo in spatham" (waiting for the Berkasovo helmet)...
Nice!! Surely you have more helmets? Big Grin Or a scutum?

Robert, in fact I have this older deurne / Berkasovo style helmet, subarmalis, greaves and a lamellar cuirass but it was so darn hot when we took the pics! No, I don`t have a scutum yet, that`s true :oops: . I just wonder where I could get a dished one?

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 06-30-2011

Quote:I just wonder where I could get a dished one?

http://fabricae.free.fr/
http://www.reenactment-bedarf.de/html/schilde.html

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Virilis - 07-01-2011

Thanks Jurjen, I will check them out!

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 07-01-2011

You're welcome. I was a bit lazy last night, so I only put in the URLs. The first one is from France and the one Fectio got his blanks from. I've also talked to him last year in Kelmarsh. A very nice guy and very good shields.

The other link is from Germany and I haven't handled nor done business with him, but price an pictures look good. I might get one of his dished clipei one day...

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Quintus Julius Furius - 07-01-2011

"Hi Sébastien

Like Paul Elliot I like to see third century Impressions too, so great to look at another. As he suggests I too would say the sleeves of the tunic should be longer and should have tight fitting cuffs as in Jyrki's post above. The tunic could also have some of the simple decoration which begins to appear at that date such as bands on cuff sleeves and clavi which features arrow motifs.

Also all the sources from that period are very clear that tight fitting trousers should be worn. Without surviving paint on the tombstones one could argue that sometimes bare legs are indicated so there is no suggestion of baggy trousers.

If you need more details of third century clothing I would be pleased to help.

Best wishes.

Graham.

Check this box to be notified of replies to this topic.
Note: BBcode and smileys are still usable."

Thanks, Paul and Graham.

I know very well it for tunics! It is planned in the future... In particular thanks to the magnificent drawings and the searches(researches) of Graham ......

Friendly,

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - agrimensor - 07-05-2011

[attachment=1239]P7035792.JPG[/attachment]
Not a very battle ready picture but here is mine.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Tita Iuventia Martia - 07-06-2011

Here are two of my latest ones:

[Image: Zvkov3.jpg]

[Image: Zvkov4.jpg]

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Tadius Danartus - 07-08-2011

Greetings! My first ever posting on RAT, so by way of an introduction. :grin:
Currently involved in 4thC infantry impression with Comitatus in the UK.

Main intersts in a roman context are all British based ones, being 3rd & 4th C infantry.
also long standing re-eanactor in other periods as well. There,
[attachment=1250]rib16.jpg[/attachment]
no longer a RAT virgin... Confusedhock:

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Caballo - 07-08-2011

Good to see you, mate- this calls for a celebratory drink!