RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-09-2011

"Greetings! My first ever posting on RAT, so by way of an introduction.
Currently involved in 4thC infantry impression with Comitatus in the UK.

Main intersts in a roman context are all British based ones, being 3rd & 4th C infantry.
also long standing re-eanactor in other periods as well. There,

no longer a RAT virgin... "

Welcome to RAT, you old slapper! Smile

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-11-2011

http://mail.aol.com/33953-111/aol-1/en-gb/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=1.29803874&folder=%2fSaved%2fComitatus+Forum&partId=6

When the Gods are angry, the curtains of time open, resulting in.....

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Caballo - 07-12-2011

My first time on a Roman saddle, thanks to John and Amy in York yesterday. New tunic, with clavii sewn by Kath too!
[Image: 024.jpg]
[Image: 032.jpg]

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 07-12-2011

Quote:Having a son old enough to wear your clothes means of course you can do two impressions at once!
Awesome! Indeed, I have to wait a few years before jeroen (10) will be able to do that...

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Ammianus - 07-13-2011

Paul you were brilliant!

And I have to say the size of you and the horse was an impressive and scary sight! The orbiculi stand out so vividly and the helmet just added height and magnificance! Confusedhock:

Great kit combo!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Colletti - 07-16-2011

Quote:[Image: 407891DSCN0218.jpg]

Furius I like this hand guard/glove of sorts you have pictured, is that something you came up with or is this a known part of a legionary kit?

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - garrelt - 07-17-2011

Paul

Question:
Why do you have your leather(!) lamellar upper body armour laced in an "infantry" way?
As a rider you don't want a spear, trusted from below, to find hold on a row of lamella.
Laced in this way it works for deflecting a weapon blow from above downwards.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - FAVENTIANVS - 07-17-2011

Tadius:

I like the cloth strap around your helmet's perimeter, what's the source of it?

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-18-2011

Looking good Paul! I see the stops were pulled out for you!
Same question though, about the lamellar? Being a short assed infantryman, I
Would aim for what I could hit successfully, which in your case would be the gaps in the torso armour

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 07-18-2011

Just a comment on Furius'segmentata. Seems you have it on backwards.
the four hooks and the small plates you appear to be wearing to the front of the chest belong on the back.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Caballo - 07-18-2011

The lamellar is like that because I am usually infantry! First time on a horse in a Roman saddle, and fun it was too.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Tadius Danartus - 07-18-2011

Quote:Tadius:

I like the cloth strap around your helmet's perimeter, what's the source of it?

Greetings :-D No real source I'm afraid - just one of personal interpretation :grin:
For two reasons: A) when raining the weave has the action of stopping water running down the eye pieces and acts to soak it up a little.
b) Recognition factor: Again I stress a personal view and one of pure conjecture on my part :wink: The debate of "uniformity " in the 4th C Roman army will rattle on way after this thread I'm sure, but to my way of thinking how dose one recognise your comrades in battle? If there was no uniform as such then perhaps unit marking and colours , Following shield patters for example might follow? Rather in the way as Cabollo says that football team wear their clubs colours...I call it "the same but different" approach to uniform recognition.
Also its may be the type of devise that perhaps was made within a Garrison by soldiers women or even sold around to local units by army sutlers - who knows.
I've actually now changed the weave to match the colours of my unit which is blue & red to match the shield.
I'm sure there's milage in this subject!! :?

Vale

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Tadius Danartus - 07-18-2011

Quote:Being a short assed infantryman,

that makes two of us old chum... :wink:

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Caballo - 07-18-2011

LOL!

"I like the cloth strap around your helmet's perimeter, what's the source of it?
Greetings No real source I'm afraid - just one of personal interpretation "

Just an additional comment- the medieval copies of the late 4th century De Rebus Bellicis in both the Oxford and both versions in the Munich copy show the cataphracts with this type of cloth strap around the helmet, with a matching strip on the spear.

Munich version 2 (the patron sent another copyist back to the original as he wasn't happy with the first version)
http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/bsb00005863/images/index.html?id=00005863&fip=eayayztsewqeayaxssdasyztsqrseayaxs&no=5&seite=350

Munich version 1
http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/bsb00005863/images/index.html?seite=150 (different illustrator)

Of course, the different copyists of De Rebus also put in lots of medieval details, so it is difficult to say what is original Roman and what is medieval additions- and indeed, most of the armour detail is medieval. But all three copyists seem to be agreed on this detail, which MAY (stress may) indicate it was on the original Late Roman manuscript copied. There is also a parallel in the Dura Europas clibanarius graffito. Again, this could be ribbons or a cloth strap with trailing streamers behind.
[Image: Clibanarius.jpg]

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 07-18-2011

Hi guys, nice discusssion about the cloth strap, but perhaps best placed in the 'reconstruction' section? :wink: