RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Tadius Danartus - 07-18-2011

By all means Robert...
Vale

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - caiusbeerquitius - 07-25-2011

A-gladiator-ing, a-hoplomachus-ing.... :-)

[attachment=1354]750_500_grenzenlos-festival.jpg[/attachment]

Beating the sh*t out of our Murmillo. I love it.

[attachment=1355]750_500_grenzenlos-festival-2.jpg[/attachment]

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Colletti - 07-26-2011

My first Roman Legionary Impression circa 40AD

Deepeeka Gallic A helmet, caligae, segmentata, and incorrect balteus
Pompeii Gladius styled after the one from the Gutman collection from SOTW
Linen tunic and focale

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Sempronius - 07-27-2011

Quote:My first Roman Legionary Impression circa 40AD

Deepeeka Gallic A helmet, caligae, segmentata, and incorrect balteus
Pompeii Gladius styled after the one from the Gutman collection from SOTW
Linen tunic and focale

Interesting! A dumb question, is it difficult to maneuver kitted out?

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 07-27-2011

Quote:Interesting! A dumb question, is it difficult to maneuver kitted out?

It depends on which kind of 'kit' you are wearing as every piece has it own (dis)advantages, and especially for a segmentata the size is of some more importance.

When you've a set of good fitting kit however, you shouldn't have many problems with doing your manoeuvres and other daily works.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - comicus - 07-27-2011

This is the 1st century Optio impression I put together, any sugestions on how to improve it are always welcomed

Thanks

Mike

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Colletti - 07-28-2011

Quote:Interesting! A dumb question, is it difficult to maneuver kitted out?

Like what Jurjenivs said, depends on the kit. The Deepeeka segmentata I am wearing gives me excellent flexibility. I can comfortably bend over and move my arms up, running is easy (though the shoulder pieces clank). Movements though I find a bit restrictive from the segmentata are what would be thrusting movements with the sword and throwing a pilum, though you work around it/get used to it.

Getting a segmentata that fits like Jurjenivs also pointed out is important. I have had one of those cheap $140 segmentatas on ebay before, and while it fit relatively nicely, the proportions were wrong (the shoulder/bicep guards didn't even cover half my bicep). I have a 42" chest, and a 34" waist and weigh 180lbs and the Deepeeka segmentata fits me fine and would fit someone a little bigger.

Optio impression looks great Septimius

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - P Sertorius Scaevola - 07-28-2011

Hi Septimius,

The impression looks okay but the Optio bit appear to me as absent, but for the cresta. Get a stick with a nice knob on it, a leather satchel for a wax tablet and see to improove on your balteus. If you're Centurio's choice you must have prooven something an been around for a while; showing off thru your belt seems right. Same for the pugio, although I can't see much detail in the pics.

Keep up the good work!

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - jvrjenivs - 07-28-2011

Quote:The impression looks okay but the Optio bit appear to me as absent, but for the cresta.

And then this way to use the cresta as a sign of the optio is an re-enactorism, introduced by the guard and not backed up that much by the sources. So I don't see anything that would suggest it isn't a regular soldiers impression.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Colletti - 07-28-2011

Quote:Hi Septimius,

The impression looks okay but the Optio bit appear to me as absent, but for the cresta. Get a stick with a nice knob on it, a leather satchel for a wax tablet and see to improove on your balteus. If you're Centurio's choice you must have prooven something an been around for a while; showing off thru your belt seems right. Same for the pugio, although I can't see much detail in the pics.

Keep up the good work!

Perhaps he doesn't have a satchel or wax tablets, but the pteruges on the subarmalis and cape speak some sort of NCO status, as does the crest, thought perhaps it would benefit from a couple feathers

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Nurglitch - 07-28-2011

Quote:And then this way to use the cresta as a sign of the optio is an re-enactorism, introduced by the guard and not backed up that much by the sources. So I don't see anything that would suggest it isn't a regular soldiers impression.

And then we have absolutely no idea if optio differed from regular soldiers in any way, shape or form. The current system of distinguishing optiones is pure fantasy, D'n'D really.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - comicus - 07-28-2011

Sertorius,
I agree on the extra accessories, I have the wax tablet on order and I have been contemplating a way to make the staff. You would think that making a staff would be easy but the choices for wood and the knob are hard to find. I dont want to use dowling from a lumber supplier it looks too modern milled and the option for a knob is a horse yoke hame and this also looks very modern(at least to me).

I'd like to make a nice Optio staff, anyone have any ideas or links to making one?

thanks.

Mike

Hi Mat,
You stated that you are using a deepeeka segmentata and have a 42in chest. I was wondering if there was any extra room or if it fits snug? I have a 44-45 in chest and I have been contemplating getting one, I've just been afraid it might be too small for me( it says it fits up to a 44in chest but I found with most armor that means with big gaps between lacing areas). I know you can aquire larger ones but they take a very long time to get. I love my Hamata but it tends to get a bit heavy at times.

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - kazeryu - 07-28-2011

Well if you don't want to walk around the woods and find a suitably straight young tree to cut down...

A friend of mine once made a (not roman) staff by purchasing a long 2"x2" and then filing it to the shape he wanted. It took quite a while but he was happy with the result -- unlike a dowel, his staff had some knots in the wood.

Not a bad idea Ventus, would take awhile but definatly will look better than pre made dowling and as for looking though the woods for a stick as you can see by the attached pic of the area it's not really an option LOL, thanks for the 2"X 2" idea!

Mike