RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - M. Demetrius - 09-01-2012

I don't have that book handy, but an ankle length tunic on horseback doesn't seem practical. A cloak or something might well be that long, but it would have to be split in the front/back to hang that far down, I'd think.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 09-01-2012

I don't have the book to hand either at the moment but I am sure that the picture referred to depicts a soldier being punished by being made to wear women's clothing. I seem to remember Graham Sumner saying that the depiction of the first century AD soldier being punished by having his belts removed so that his tunic fell to its full length in RMC1 had proved popular and so he had decided to include an example of clothing worn as punishment in RMC2 as well, using a different, but historically attested example.

Franciscus,

Looking pretty good overall, although I am not sure how wearing your sword on a baldric counts as an 'old fashioned' way. I would date your impression to closer to the middle of the century as well (the same period most of us depict), as you are wearing a Corbridge type segmentata rather than a Kalkriese type which would be more appropriate for the early years of first century AD. The only thing I would suggest needs improvement is your tunic, as appears to be narrow with sleeves (which may be what is favoured by a certain well known group who also wear red tunics and brown scarves, but is not quite what the Romans themselves might have recognised. Your tunica should be wide enough that it reaches past both elbows without the need for sleeves when stood in a cruciform stance. It should be square or somewhat rectangular and shoudl also hang as far as mid calf when unbelted. A waist tie should then be tied around your waist, drawing the material of the tunica in, which will create sleeves out of the width of the material. The tunic should then be hitched up over the waist tie until the lower edge hangs four inches or so above the knee. It does not look very elegant but it is what you will see on numerous ancient depictions of soldiers in tunic order.

Crispvs

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - M. Demetrius - 09-01-2012

Right, Crispvs, that was a common practice early on, but I don't know when/if that stopped. The idea was if the soldier had to remove his belt, his tunic fell down long, like a woman. That would be a great shame to them in that day, and the other soldiers would no doubt have a lot of mocking comments to make.

The military belt was the outward sign of the soldier. Having to remove it, shows the length that a tunic would fall. I remember that picture. He is carrying a stick for a spear, also, and iirc, the tunic is patched. He looked pretty forlorn.

Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression - AMELIANVS - 09-02-2012

To Mark:Look really good and I appreciate that muscular armour,it's rare to see it in reenactment of this period.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Statius - 09-05-2012

Couple of snaps taken at the recent Old Sarum 2012
[attachment=5138]OldSarumPortrait1.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment=5139]Portrait2.jpg[/attachment]
event

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Virilis - 09-05-2012

Wow, excellent Mark Big Grin !

Show here your Roman soldier impression - AMELIANVS - 09-05-2012

Oh,so nice- I plan to draw something similar.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Agraes - 09-06-2012

Brilliant Marc :-D

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Albertomv - 09-07-2012

Hi, Marc.

Sword is eagle pommed, isnĀ“t it? It looks great

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 09-07-2012

Quote:Couple of snaps taken at the recent Old Sarum 2012
Looking great Marc!

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Renger - 09-19-2012

Beside my Persian,Germanic and late Roman 4 century representation i also show a legionary of 1 century.
[Image: Romansoldat.jpg]

Show here your Roman soldier impression - franciscus - 09-19-2012

very nice Immunis Renger... is that lorica hamata from battlemerchant (ulfberth) ?

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Renger - 09-19-2012

Thank you. The Hamata is from DSC.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Doc - 09-19-2012

I must agree, Renger. Very nice impression. I too like the hamata.

Which vendor did you buy the hamata from, if I may ask.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Renger - 09-30-2012

My Wife buy the Hamata for me by Armae :-) . It was a birthday present.