RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Virilis - 11-07-2012

Martin, looks very "Junkelmannisch" and that's a compliment :wink: !

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Römische Schmiede - 11-11-2012

Junkelmann and I Wink

[attachment=5750]9.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=5751]8.jpg[/attachment]

Show here your Roman soldier impression - damianlz - 11-11-2012

I love these, they almost look as though they are a recoloured historical photograph

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 11-12-2012

Great photos! Junklemann is definatly the leader and inspiration for
Anyone who has taken up Roman Cavalry reenacting or has an interest in it

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Römische Schmiede - 11-16-2012

My new Roman Belt!

[attachment=5820]P1050198.JPG[/attachment]

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 11-16-2012

Nice buckle!
Are you putting any more plates on it ?

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Römische Schmiede - 11-20-2012

No, the Belt is ready.
Here my Saddle.

[attachment=5841]P1050208.JPG[/attachment]

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 11-20-2012

Very fancy! Is it a frame or a pad saddle?

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 11-20-2012

Very nice work!

"Is it a frame or a pad saddle?"

It's a very nicely made piece, so I sincerely hope it's a frame saddle, as the evidence from the Carlisle saddle covers effectively killed the validity of the pad saddle hypothesis ten years ago.

I like the belt a lot! Perfect for a very late first century or early second century AD impression. That is exactly the sort of look any 'Trajanic' period re-enactors should be looking for in the belts.

Crispvs

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Römische Schmiede - 11-20-2012

This is an 16 years old pad saddle.
The next is a saddle with a frame.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - PhilusEstilius - 11-20-2012

Martin.

I do not wish to appear too critical about the belt but it does tend to look a bit precise and modern machine made in my opinion, this is not what we find in originals for most Roman artifacts do show more less precision and a rougher appearance here is a cast copy from an original that I had which does show my point.
[attachment=5843]easyshare2125Medium.jpg[/attachment]

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Virilis - 11-20-2012

Posing in the autumn sun...

[Image: 7ed27158dec4907f4a11f0f1431da3bb.jpg]

Show here your Roman soldier impression - AMELIANVS - 11-20-2012

I immediately fell in love with this photo Confusedmile:

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 11-20-2012

Martin,

If your workmanship on the new saddle is as good as it is on your existing saddle, I will certainly look forward to seeing it.

Crispvs

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Doc - 11-20-2012

I like the appearence and colors of the belt since too many impressions lack vivd colors...something I think the Romans relished. However, I am not aware of any belt from the 1st C that is inlaid with anything other than niello. I know later century items had colorful inlays. Of course, I could be wrong and any evidence to the contrary would be welcome since I too will make a cast belt and would prefer multiple colors instead of just black niello.

I also would like to mention that the craftsmanship of the belt is very good BUT to echo what Brian has mentioned, Roman pieces were made well BUT not perfect. To this end, the one Brian shows is a more realistic copy.

I would take some steel wool and rub down that belt so that its finish is more satin like. I believe that armor would have been shiny however the shine would be the natural luster of the metal which many times is a satiny type of finish when the metal is left in its natural state (unless of course silver is applied or tin which makes things more shiny). I think that if you dull down the shine, it will increase the realistic appearence. You could also use a small needle file and make some of the edges or decoration less perfect......purposely "damage" the work.

I have made things in the past and I too am guilty of being too perfect. So anytime that was the case, I would use steel wool and some small files to alter the perfect appearence.