RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Caballo - 05-26-2013

Looking good, Jyrki!

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Virilis - 05-26-2013

Thanks guys! Yes, this a a squamata made by Al Hamdd in which the scales are arranged a bit looser.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 05-26-2013

So what are you supposed to be, the tribunis/praefectus/praepositus?

Quote:So what are you supposed to be, the tribunis/praefectus/praepositus?

Dux! Wink Seriously, a some kind of lower status officer, I guess.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 05-26-2013

Great Impression! I hope to get a Deurne Helmet as well this summer, I'd like to go to Castra Romana in a fancy-ass Late Roman outfit. Big Grin

Where'd you get the greaves?

Thanks Evan! My greaves are modified Deepeeka ""Hippika Gymnasia" greaves (knee caps away etc.)...

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 05-26-2013

Jyrki, did your last squamata shoulders 'settle' any after some wear?
Mine have the wing effect too.... :unsure:

Quote:Jyrki, did your last squamata shoulders 'settle' any after some wear?
Mine have the wing effect too.... :unsure:

Byron, it is difficult to say because I have used them so little. I think that in the end they just might, due to the softening of the leather. Here's two more pics:

[Image: d379e7a9770612126d5aa77b2fd1a7c8_zpsd7baed8a.jpg]

[Image: 781bbf0350dc69a79a61a039515ef140_zps542f44fd.jpg]

Show here your Roman soldier impression - M. Demetrius - 05-26-2013

You may already have said this, but does it close on the sides? Buckle straps? What holds the doubler on the body?

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Virilis - 05-27-2013

Quote:You may already have said this, but does it close on the sides? Buckle straps? What holds the doubler on the body?

David, I suppose you mean the squamata? I have it open on both sides and it has holes in the leather rim which holds the strings which I use to tighten it. I am a kind of symmetry freak, I quess Wink...

Show here your Roman soldier impression - M. Val. Naso - 05-27-2013

Jyrki: I have OCD too, don't worry Big Grin

Also, it seems to me, that the collar is intergrated with the torso. Funny, I've always thought, that it is a separate addition. Or are there two versions?

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Virilis - 05-27-2013

Quote:Jyrki: I have OCD too, don't worry Big Grin

Also, it seems to me, that the collar is intergrated with the torso. Funny, I've always thought, that it is a separate addition. Or are there two versions?

György, I think there are two versions available.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 05-28-2013

Quote:Thanks guys! Yes, this a a squamata made by Al Hamdd in which the scales are arranged a bit looser.
If I were you I'd remove at least two rows across the shoulder, and perhaps one or more between the neck and the shoulder:
[attachment=7314]jyrkisquamata.jpg[/attachment]

Show here your Roman soldier impression - PhilusEstilius - 05-28-2013

I don't wish to sound rude to Al Hamdd but much of their armour tends to forget that the human shoulders are not horizontal but slope downwards, in looking at this armour it is no where reaching the shoulders correctly and sticks up at the ends.
It would need to be opened at the shoulder seam and scales taken out to taper from outside edge towards the top near the neck this way it would lay down better and look smarter.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Virilis - 05-28-2013

Brian, someone must have made a collar which sits differently on the shoulders of the wearer. It means that the scales are arranged In some other way. Anyone?