RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Show here your Roman soldier impression - PhilusEstilius - 05-28-2013

Virilis.
I stand corrected the red lines I forgot were those Robert had put there, however when we look at the scale that Robert is wearing his is much more tidy and sits on the shoulders.
In fact this type of scale can be made all in one piece with correct alingment of the rows of scales that can make it sit down on the shoulders more tidy, indeed in the past I have made scale armour that has even short sleeves to it all in one piece.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 05-28-2013

Quote:Virilis.
I stand corrected the red lines I forgot were those Robert had put there, however when we look at the scale that Robert is wearing his is much more tidy and sits on the shoulders.
In fact this type of scale can be made all in one piece with correct alingment of the rows of scales that can make it sit down on the shoulders more tidy, indeed in the past I have made scale armour that has even short sleeves to it all in one piece.

I'd be interested in hearing more about that.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Virilis - 05-28-2013

Yes, it would be interesting to see a squamata with sleeves!

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Paul Elliott - 05-28-2013

[Image: SAM_2365.jpg]

Solidly within the Third Century.

Jozef Hudi, obsessed with the 3rd and 4th C like me has been sketching legionaries for months. I happened to find a couple of my photographs that match his drawings!

[Image: art-sketch_zps1fbeebfa.jpg]

Great impressions, Paul! The third century is very interesting, so much going on in every branch of roman society. Btw, does anyone know where to get this earlier model of Deepeeka made Intercisa helmet? The bowl shape is much better than in the later versions...

The one in that pic? Kult of Athena still has some I think.

Great impressions, Paul! The third century is very interesting, so much going on in every branch of roman society. Btw, does anyone know where to get this earlier model of Deepeeka made Intercisa helmet? The bowl shape is much better than in the later versions...

Yes, that one Evan thanks! The shape of the bowl is superior compared to the never models and I would like to strip the parts of and modify them a bit...

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 05-28-2013

Great stuff Paul,

I'm wondering about belts for the late second - Third Cent?

Medievaldesign has a 2nd-3rd century belt I think.

Hi Byron, it seems that the famous third century ring buckle belt comes in abruptly in Severus' reign, I am writing a book about this at the moment! Prior to that look at the Lyons burial, elaborate open-work designs with the wide sword baldric that continues in use right through to the late third century...

I'm sure Armamentaria have appropriate belt fittings. They certainly have some third century designs, though a brass ring can be found cheaply on any saddlers site.

Quote:Great stuff Paul,

I'm wondering about belts for the late second - Third Cent?

Show here your Roman soldier impression - PhilusEstilius - 05-29-2013

I am wanting to add pictures of scale armour for Virilis but find I cannot load any files into this topic or any other topic for that matter.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Vindex - 05-29-2013

Brian - hopefully you have a PM from me. I'm at work and the system has weird security clamps so it may not get to you!!

Show here your Roman soldier impression - PhilusEstilius - 05-30-2013

Here are pictures of scale armour showing how the shoulders fit the body and a drawing of just how sleeves can be made to also take the scales complete with the garment.
The figure is sadly wearing his cloak but the scales are of course horizontal at the shoulder area.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - PhilusEstilius - 05-30-2013

Here is another picture of our Roman Centurian in his scale amour when I had him come from Rome to take part in the Guard of Honour that I put forward for HRH the late Princess Margaret our Queen's sister when she declared Hadrians Wall a World Monument in 1993.
He is standing next to one of our RAT colleagues brennivs-Tony Drake who stood in as Aquilifer for that day with the Eagle I made for the Vindolanda Trust Roman Army Museum.
The group was the VI Victrics North Guard who were a group that was made up of soldiers of all four centuries of Roman occupation of Britain.