RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Jori - 08-08-2013

[Image: cnmidesadamklissimt9.jpg]
From Adamklissi

[Image: ocraepellisaalen01jg5.jpg]
From Vindonissa (not metal tough)

Look at here : what is the only weak point in this picture?
[Image: IMG_5183.jpg]

Against the falx... or just because of the impact of your shield in your leg (some bad memories...).

What is incorrect in my equipment: I shouldn't wear the greaves when marching (same thing with the helmet), only in combat. I could wear two, or more probably, just one greave. Linen and leather would be OK, metal for officers (coveringl the knees like in funerary steles) and maybe some richer legionary (but not covering the knees as it seems in Adamklissi and archeological findings).

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-08-2013

I tend to agree. I have always thought the shins are very vulnerable, especially to sling shot, etc....

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 08-08-2013

Quote:Where did you get that info from?
As far as I'm aware, they still wore the tunics above the knees in the later period as well.
I'd be interested to see any images of this.

I'd have to check my various images, but I can't because my flashdrive has gone missing. Lost 10 Gigs of Roman Images and files (including my Handbook) on there. I remember seeing both on Late Roman Monuments, murals, etc. But I can't name any off the top of my head.

Furthermore, I support the use of greaves prior to the 3rd century, I would just say they were not a common sight.

After all, shins are god's way of helping us find things in the dark Big Grin

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Damien - 08-09-2013

Hello!
Some Herculiani's to Marle 2013 in paratura:

[Image: b4f6.jpg]

Damien Deryckère.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 08-09-2013

Looking great! Where did you get your tunics? Those three on the left look like the AER ones. The last one is Deepeeka I think..

Show here your Roman soldier impression - M. Demetrius - 08-09-2013

They look a lot like these:
https://www.armamentaria.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=592

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Damien - 08-09-2013

Thanks, The three on left side come from "St" Medieval Design, and the last is a personnal creation.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 08-10-2013

@David
Yes but the Pattern is too accurate for them to be the Deepeeka ones. The Deepeeka ones are funny looking.

@Damian
I thought either Medievaldesign or AER. They make the best ones.

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 08-15-2013

[attachment=7789]64f1d474d2537b82acc92140bd4805df.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=7790]a62b9e2e400a43e149334ac16364d3c6.jpg[/attachment]

Contemplating the underhanded schemers and plotters I am up against......

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 08-15-2013

Great Impressions!

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Charlie - 08-16-2013

Wonderful looking impressions Byron. Smile

Show here your Roman soldier impression - PhilusEstilius - 08-16-2013

Looking very good Byron but have you noticed the gap in between those tents behind you. ( YES they ARE, !! NO there NOT !! )

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Paul Elliott - 08-26-2013

Dabbling in early 2nd C auxiliaries .....

[Image: SAM_9423_zpsca2b1acc.jpg]

[Image: SAM_9406_zpsb5d7a5b3.jpg]

I had to make do with a late 1stC belt, my Hadrianic belt plates are on their way .... Smile

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Quintus Claudius Scaevola - 08-26-2013

[quote="Mithras" post=343253]Dabbling in early 2nd C auxiliaries .....

Oooooh! You're a big tough Roman, eh? Why don't you go harvest some more flowers, you nancy! Wink

I jest, I jest - that was just the first thing that popped into my head. Seriously though, did you make that water-skin? Is there a tutorial?

-Quintus Claudius Britanicus

Show here your Roman soldier impression - Paul Elliott - 08-26-2013

Yeah, too many wild flowers, it really is a wheat field though at an agricultural museum!
The waterskin I bought in the UK from saddlers den, but I have made another one based on the design. Pretty simple - short piece of copper or brass tube, attach a cheating waterproof liner (I like using wine bags out of wine boxes) by gluing the mouth of the bag around the neck of the tube. Next lay your contraption out on leather and cut to a shape you like and that will hold the liner, sew the two halves together around the liner, at the mouth of your new leather bag, glue that also to the brass tube, then use leather cord and glue to whip and bind around the tube nice and tight. Make a cork or wooden stopper, attach it to the neck of the waterskin by a leather cord.

You should think about suspension before you sew up the leather. My waterskin has two brass rings on the 'shoulders'.