RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Antoninus05 - 11-18-2015

Ave All!
    Well , after several weeks of gathering the components and hours of labor, I finally finished my 4th Century Roman Waist Belt this afternoon. It was an interesting project and I want to thank the RAT members who helped guide me.
Now I can wear it at the event in Beaumont , Texas this weekend.
I got the leather from Tandy and the component parts from Raymond's Quiet Press. I was lucky enough  to have an old fashioned hardware store here in Victoria, Lentz Hardware, that happen to have the rivets and backing I needed in the correct style; ie, the head.
    After having done this, I can see why suppliers do charge what they do for custom made. The metal components and attachment items were in the neighborhood of $175 or more, the leather with shipping(Tandy is high on their shipping)was probably another $65.00, cost of dye around $25, I already had the tools needed, but if you don't, that will be an expense, and of course, my time invested in the project.
Enjoy the photos, I know my work could be better, but doing it yourself was a great feeling at the end AND I enjoyed doing it, especially taking my time.
Hints on how to do better next time are more than welcome , and again, thanks to all you fabricators on RAT for being amazing inspirations. Antoninus

Leather before the dye.

Leather dyed with stitching.

Front section finished

Middle section finished

Opposite end finished

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 11-19-2015

Very nice work Michael!

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 11-20-2015

Great job!

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Antoninus05 - 11-20-2015

(11-20-2015, 02:32 AM)Flavivs Aetivs Wrote: Great job!

Thank you gentlemen, appreciate the kind remarks. I really enjoyed this project a lot more than I thought I would, Antoninus

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Virilis - 11-20-2015

Some pics of my new cucullus / alicula. We have no evidence of decorated ones with orbiculi but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Wink

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - 66kbm - 11-20-2015

Hi all,
 Re a topic/thread I had going....Another new town in Devon.....after 3 years digging, and knowing the local PAS person, that's Danielle Wootton here in Devon UK. myself and my partner in Roman crime managed to "blag" a pic on an excavated Roman Road back in the Summer.
 Its not often we get to see Romans stood on an excavated Roman road.
 Well here it is..........
 Many thanks to Danelle for letting us have the pic taken, a lovely lady.
 The road has been sectioned in front of us to reveal an even better road surface some 18 inches down, not visible in the pic.
 Kevin.

Where's my pic?.....trying again.

The pic......
Found it.......High res pic is available if on clicks on pic, shows our 40/70 AD gear.

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Evgeny - 01-08-2016

Фестиваль "Времена и Эпохи Рим" Москва. Россия. 2 015

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 01-08-2016

(01-08-2016, 10:46 AM)Longus Wrote: Фестиваль "Времена и Эпохи Рим" Москва. Россия. 2 015

English please on this forum.

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Potator - 01-08-2016

(01-08-2016, 10:46 AM)Longus Wrote: Фестиваль "Времена и Эпохи Рим" Москва. Россия. 2 015

"Times and Ages. ROME."  Moscow. Summer 2015... Most Epic roman event in Russia Smile

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - panairjdde - 01-09-2016

(01-08-2016, 08:28 PM)Potator Wrote:

"Times and Ages. ROME."  Moscow. Summer 2015... Most Epic roman event in Russia Smile

Nice pictures, Nicolai, are there more pictures? Do you know what group of Roman military re-enactment is depicted in those images?

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Potator - 01-09-2016

More pictures You can find in russian social nets. https://vk.com/album214845643_216761067
I can show the videos here. FE:
https://vk.com/video-29170732_171629069?list=4707c20a607b4ce0d6
http://www.m24.ru/videos/87001
https://vimeo.com/131428204
It's order of two "legions" on Longus's photo: Leg V Mac (St.Petersburg, Longus) and Leg VI Fer (Moscow, shields with white arrows, my society). The hand with spear (third from right) is me Smile
Someone of RAT members was there.

My "cohors" at "Times and Ages" event:
[Image: KRURwO6gVKs.jpg]

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Damianus Albus - 01-09-2016

My evolution:
Currently Im waiting for Augsburg II helmet and spatha from Nydam.
[Image: 12465810_1096990623664969_132933136984510181_o.jpg]

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Antoninus05 - 01-10-2016

I finally was able to sit down and move pictures of the SCA event our small group in Texas attended in November.
I had been furiously working on my 4th century Baldric and Belt after the delivery this summer of the new Feltwell spatha from Deepeeka (which, again, is amazing for an off the shelf piece).
The only way, in our humble opinion, that a group stays alive and possibly attracts new members ,is by having some activities to do. Marcus Norwood came up with the idea of attending SCA events here in Texas as part of their Arts and Science displays. So, in November, I finally was able to join him and two members of Legio XIII, the largest legion left in Texas, for the Battle of the Rams event in the piney woods of East Texas. The event had over 1,000 people in attendance and our displays and demos were very well received. We are actually picking up some new members and planning another Ft Parker encampment after several years of dormancy. (That will be more of a normal gathering, with period tentage and authenticity standards). 
    Our first two events this year are an A and S gathering here in Victoria where I live, I plan to show a huge display of the Roman Soldier from 1st to 4th Century AD on Feb 13, and the following weekend, off to East Texas again in the pines of Huntsville for another big SCA event. We are shooting for a spring Ft Parker encampment. If you are here in Texas and tired of your impression languishing in the closet, contact us, we'd love to see you come out with us.
Below are images of our impressions at the November event. Enjoy, Antoninus

In my 4th century kit

The Camp

Our Display

Nathan Bickham, Marcus Norwood, Richard Warner

One of Marcus' classes for the young people

Another image of class under the XIII watchful eye

Marcus educating the attendees

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 01-12-2016

(01-09-2016, 04:15 PM)AustralianMagic Wrote: My evolution:
Currently Im waiting for Augsburg II helmet and spatha from Nydam.
Looking good Damian!

(01-10-2016, 04:53 PM)Antoninus05 Wrote: I finally was able to sit down and move pictures of the SCA event our small group in Texas attended in November.

Nice!

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 01-13-2016

Looking good everyone!