RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 08-18-2016

I've had a crossbow brooch for a long time, it's just a late 4th century example and I'm looking for a 5th century one.

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Marc Byrne - 08-30-2016

Late Roman Officers. Dan Shadrake & Marc Byrne from Britannia at Glastonbury Abbey.

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 08-31-2016

I like it!

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 08-31-2016

Nice to see Britannia again in their infantry outfit. Wink

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 11-14-2016

From Castra, 2016!

I borrowed Rusty's Squamata since my armor wasn't done yet, and he wasn't kitting out this year.

Me as Magister Utriusque Militiae

[Image: qDEaION.jpg]

[Image: OzG4og3.jpg]

And as a normal Miles:

[Image: fz6jhOa.jpg]

[Image: 1xvGPBa.jpg]

[Image: Hdeu1lI.jpg]

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 11-14-2016

Looking good!

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Longovicium - 11-14-2016

Great pictures there, Evan. That squamata looks good on you!

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 11-14-2016

It's too big, actually. I had to wear my backup belt since it was long enough to get around it and my primary belt was holding my tunic up underneath. Tongue

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 11-22-2016

Looking very good Evan. It's a shame that the ones attempting to portray first century soldiers didn't go to the same trouble. From their Trooper helmets, long sleeves and trousers I assume that they are LARPers, rather than re-enactors. I hope they learn from the very good impression you have shown them by being there. Well done.

Crispvs

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 11-22-2016

We had 2 of our regular legionnaires turn up that year. Dr. Jonathan Zarecki and our Engineer, Kent Nilsson. Rusty was in soft kit this year, Josh was wearing his kit but he's a Centurio now (He has a nice impression of the M. Lepidius Severus Tombstone), Chris was in kit too, but not really a lot of us.

The kid on the end is Kent's son, I think, not sure. He was wearing one of our loaners which is more accurate. Chris Evans, who's also new, was also wearing a loaner.

But yeah, the "Centurio" and the kid to the right of Dr. Zarecki are new. I think they were in SCA or something before. I managed to convince them to loose the vambraces but it was a downhill battle from there.

Unfortunately most of our regulars this year were missing due to various reasons, mostly medical. Cancer, surgery, wife expecting, etc. We were pretty short. A bunch of guys from Legio XI couldn't show due to transportation issues as well.

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 11-23-2016

It's a shame so many couldn't make it to your event.

The point I was making though, is that while you have gone to a lot of trouble to create an accurate impression for your chosen time period, the others in your photo have not. There are two trooper helmets, four of them are wearing trousers (including one unashamedly wearing full length modern trousers), three sets of long sleeves and what appear to be a pair of patterned leather greaves. I don't know when the Romans took to wearing long sleeves, but I have always had the impression it was some time in the mid second century AD. As for trousers, the earliest evidence for Roman infantry in trousers is a single metope from the Tropaeum Triani at Adamklissi (all the others showing infantry show them without trousers). Again, we don't know when they started wearing trousers, but according to the evidence of the Vindolanda tablets, Batavian soldiers stationed where Hadrian's wall would be built a few years later weren't wearing trousers in AD 97, with them being about the only item of clothing not being mentioned in any of the tablets.

Crispvs

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 11-23-2016

Quote:I don't know when the Romans took to wearing long sleeves, but I have always had the impression it was some time in the mid second century AD.

It was, for the most part. I'd have to check Sumner, there might be an early 2nd century example.

Quote:There are two trooper helmets, four of them are wearing trousers (including one unashamedly wearing full length modern trousers), three sets of long sleeves and what appear to be a pair of patterned leather greaves.

I'm not arguing with this because you're right, but they're new and you gotta give some people time to improve. The one new guy is an experienced re-enactor looking to get his own gear already. The other two are kids who showed up at the SC State Museum event last year and showed up again this year. Yeah the stuff they're wearing is crap and I'm not defending it but they're trying to improve.

The cheap leather greaves were a fight, like I said I argued for 2 hours that morning and managed to get them to loose the vambraces, and was trying to get them to loose the greaves and get some Gallic G's from the loaner kits.

Dr. Zarecki's trousers are based off real ones (wool, patterned after the leather Valkenberg Trousers which date to the early 3rd century AD).

On the bright side, the SCA literally came out and said "wow we need to improve" after seeing some of our stuff.

Roman Reenactment in the US is on shoddy footing and there's a certain point where you go from encouraging improvement to shutting out potential members. They're high school kids that by some miracle found an interest in something the US Educational System barely gives a passing mention to in 7th grade, and they don't have a lot of money but with the right encouragement they could end up being active members with great impressions.

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 11-23-2016

Good points made Evan.

Crispvs

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - Flavivs Aetivs - 11-23-2016

Some more:

First drill of the day:

[Image: vHv0WA4.jpg]

Dr. Zarecki:

[Image: PTR3kHc.jpg]

Martin and Chris:

[Image: KHwS59Z.jpg]

The Arena:

[Image: FYSnSDe.jpg]

That last image there is a guy from the SCA who volunteered, and he just made an awesome looking Gladiator. That fight was "Theodosius Ursus" versus "Gluteus Minimus."

RE: Show here your Roman soldier impression - brennivs - tony drake - 11-24-2016

Excellent work on your kit Evan Smile  very colourful and great photos . looks like a good event.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin