RomanArmyTalk
Show here your Roman soldier impression - Printable Version

+- RomanArmyTalk (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat)
+-- Forum: Reenactment (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Roman Re-Enactment & Reconstruction (https://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Show here your Roman soldier impression (/showthread.php?tid=2606)

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 01-04-2007

Quote:Who made it?

I think:

Quote:Made by Bruno Dienot, a member of Viaromana

Big Grin

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Peroni - 01-05-2007

:oops: Doh!

I was concentrating too hard on the photo that I missed the bottom line of text!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gallus Marinus Micarius - 01-05-2007

Is your arm missing in your avatar Marcus? :-O

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Peroni - 01-05-2007

Ha! no!

I'm supposed to be pointing and shouting at some poor grunt below the battlement!

here's the enlarged picture! (Taken by and photoshop'd by Maximio)

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... Land2a.jpg

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gallus Marinus Micarius - 01-05-2007

ha ha that is awesome...my mistake...it's now one of my favorite avatars!

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - FAVENTIANVS - 01-06-2007

What a beautiful helmet Quintus! With that vitis, wouldn't like being under your command... Confusedhock:

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Crispvs - 01-09-2007

Here at last is the Crispvs late Roman impression.
Please pardon the unfinished embroidery. I shall use the excuse of a three month old son on this occasion.

[Image: Soldiers-Arthes.jpg]
Photo courtesy of Arthes

Crispvs

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Robert Vermaat - 01-09-2007

Quote:Here at last is the Crispvs late Roman impression.
Please pardon the unfinished embroidery. I shall use the excuse of a three month old son on this occasion.

Looking good Crispus! Now add a good hamata and the impression of a 4th c. Roman is complete!

You look a lot better than that guy in the background - is the RMRS still using him as a so-called '3rd c.' soldier? Your shield has seen better days too - is that the shield with the plumbatae attached to it?

Why is the guy behind you holding a gaesum instead of a pilum?

Thanks Robert.
Yes, it is indeed the shield with the plumbatae attached to the back. If you look carefully you can just make out the end of the upper bar which has the impressions and strap to secure the ends of the plumbatae.

The oddities in the photo are mainly due to some of the multi-period kit having gone missing. The third century figure should of course have a long sleeved tunic, trousers and enclosed shoes. For some reason these are currently missing. The gap between the late second century and the mid fourth century seemed too big and so a makeshift third century type was quickly put together from what was available (including the available manpower). The gaesum being carried by the late second century figure was being carried on the day mainly to demonstrate the variety of equipment. The commentary made it clear that he would normally have carried either a pilum or a spear.

Crispvs

Quote:The oddities in the photo are mainly due to some of the multi-period kit having gone missing.
That's too bad. Cry But I still think it's great that the RMRS is doing this multi-period show - I wish more UK societies did that.

Re: Show here your roman soldier impression - Gaius Julius Caesar - 01-09-2007

What is the armour the guy behind you(on your right) is wearing? Looks like segmented armour, but with helenistic shoulder straps? Very curious!
Looking cool though Crispus!

Byron,

The man you are asking about is Pantera and he is wearing locked scale, sometimes erroneously called lamelar, which differs in construction from locked scale. He should also be wearing a military belt with a ring buckle but this appears to have been missing. Locked scale seems to have been a new development during the third century AD. I am not sure what the inpiration behind the laquered leather shoulder guards was. You would have to ask either Len or Marius.

Crispvs

Is there a dent in the nasal of your helmet?

Ahah! Very observant Robert! Yes, there is not so much a dent but an in-out bend in the nasal of the helmet and no-one seems to know how it got there. Every time I wear that helmet I get a slightly bruised nose and make a mental note to bring a stong pair of pliers with me next time we do a multi period display to straighten it out again. Of course, I always seem to forget until I am reminded of it again next time.
Unfortunately the helmet lives with the rest of the multi-period kit on one of the vans most of the time so I don't get to take it home with me and very little maintenance tends to get done on the kit on the van, meaning that repairs are often carried out at the last minute when the person due to be wearing or carrying something notices something is not as it should be. If we did more than one or two multi period displays a year this situation would probably be very different. Hopefully, now that we have a unit quartermaster we should be able to carry out some sort of audit for repairs on the multi period kit.

Crispvs

Big Grin

Still, it seems a very interesting helmet - an Intercisa-type with hinge protectors like the Berkasovo II.